What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NIL act passed - NCAA allows athletes to monetise their name, image, likeness

When universities begin paying players, I’ve begun wondering how that’s going to work from a liability standpoint. Typically, a company is liable for the actions of its employees when they are on the clock. A cable TV company is liable if it’s technician gets in a car accident while at work, they are liable for negligence, they are liable for fights and sexual assaults. Once the employee isn’t off the clock, they are not. With college athletes, when are they on the clock and when are they not? Just during practice and during the season? Year round, even in the summer while on scholarship? And is it 24/7? They are living on the dorms, lifting weights, eating training table. It would appear to me that the school becomes liable for just about everything they do if they become employees.

When universities begin paying players, I’ve begun wondering how that’s going to work from a liability standpoint. Typically, a company is liable for the actions of its employees when they are on the clock. A cable TV company is liable if it’s technician gets in a car accident while at work, they are liable for negligence, they are liable for fights and sexual assaults. Once the employee isn’t off the clock, they are not. With college athletes, when are they on the clock and when are they not? Just during practice and during the season? Year round, even in the summer while on scholarship? And is it 24/7? They are living on the dorms, lifting weights, eating training table. It would appear to me that the school becomes liable for just about everything they do if they become employees.
They will all be individual contracts, just like pro sports.

Wow!! I can't handle the excitement.

Season 1 Paolo GIF by Friends

We are $43,975 closer to our monthly goal than is Georgia! Take a look!

A quarter mil a year is obviously not going to move the needle where we need it, but it is a nice start. Small monthly donations add up. It's not just the rich donors who can make a huge difference.

So since not enough big time Colorado businesses are stepping up, a commercial platform has been created to grift the proletariat.
Sorry, maybe I’m a Scrooge but there are other charities in the world more in need of donations than an underperforming college football team that underperforms almost totally due to institutional negligence. Hard pass.

So since not enough big time Colorado businesses are stepping up, a commercial platform has been created to grift the proletariat.
Sorry, maybe I’m a Scrooge but there are other charities in the world more in need of donations than an underperforming college football team that underperforms almost totally due to institutional negligence. Hard pass.
This new gofundme site is in every college town in the country. Some company set it up and is taking 18% of all donations as their fee. The rest gets split evenly across the entire team, scholarship and walk ons. At best, this is going to provide like $50/mo for the players and I can't imagine it's going to be much different at any other school. The real NIL money that makes a difference is set up by donor collectives and rich boosters scratching a check to recruits.

Just FYI - you added a zero. $24k a year right now…

We have a LOOOONG way to go.
Thanks. Read that wrong. Point still stands that you only need 500 small donors to make a real impact & there's no reason CU shouldn't be able to find well over 10k small donors out of its database.

This is some type of corporate site and is garbage. Players begging for dollars and giving autographs and talking to you on a message board? Right.................

This is some type of corporate site and is garbage. Players begging for dollars and giving autographs and talking to you on a message board? Right.................
Yeah, when you think back to the whole idea behind "NIL" and all the controversies that have led to this point with Jeremy Bloom and his endorsements for Olympics, Johnny Manziel and him signing autographs, the tattoo stuff at Ohio State, etc. this kind of thing is ****ing ridiculous. Walk ons, middling recruits, and back up players begging the public to pay them for what?

I'd much rather see an official CU NIL collective that is managed in concert with the coaching staff and funds allocated to priority recruits who will actually make a difference, not giving $50/month to a walk on QB simply because he's on the team.

This new gofundme site is in every college town in the country. Some company set it up and is taking 18% of all donations as their fee. The rest gets split evenly across the entire team, scholarship and walk ons. At best, this is going to provide like $50/mo for the players and I can't imagine it's going to be much different at any other school. The real NIL money that makes a difference is set up by donor collectives and rich boosters scratching a check to recruits.
Oh, I understand that it’s a gofundme concept. Just seems like the epitome of chutzpah. But more power to any fans who want to send a little charity money to college football players. It’s First World Begging and makes you kind of embarrassed for the players and the program to be honest.

Don't worry boys. @Jerk Off will save the day....a national championship is in our future.

And YOKE (the platform host) takes 18% of the contributions to cover overhead. Good deal for them since they’re just cut and pasting this for a whole bunch of schools.
JFC - that's highway robbery. A fair concept (that could still be lucrative for the company running the thing) would be to tier it. 18% of the first X, 10% of the next X, on down to 1 or 2% once you get to real money.

Back