What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NIL act passed - NCAA allows athletes to monetise their name, image, likeness

The rift between the students and the professional athletes on campus is going to really widen in the coming years.
Why, though? They are doing something the regular students can't. There's no rift between the public and the professional athletes who play for the Broncos, Avs, Nuggets, Rockies, etc.

I wish the NCAA would just take away all sports scholarships in general, make it so kids don't have to go to class, and call them what they truly are now: employees.

Just pay everybody. There's no loyalty to schools anymore...you can transfer at any time and play again next season....so are players really looking for education? Nope. They want $$$. make it so, keep the scholarship money for scholars.

My dad was recruited by aTm and SMU to play football. He preferred to focus on academics because there was no real payback in playing college football. Academics was more important to him and playing football would’ve made excelling in the classroom difficult.

Now, many of these “star” guys don’t even pretend to give a rat’s ass about academics. They play in college only because it is a means to an end. But for the majority, athletic scholarships allow them to pursue a degree. I worry that for those athletes all of this NIL stuff will eventually take that opportunity away.

Why, though? They are doing something the regular students can't. There's no rift between the public and the professional athletes who play for the Broncos, Avs, Nuggets, Rockies, etc.
There are myriad reasons, but trust me when I say that there was a rift at CU decades ago, and that was before many of these moves toward professionalism occurred. I think many of the traditional students would say they can do many things that the majority of the student athletes cannot, and what they can do is more in line with the underlying mission of the university than sports.

I do understand your point, though, and there is merit to the special skills argument, but the rift will grow if you are paying athletes a salary, NIL, scholarship, health insurance, and post eligibility benefits, all of which are on the table. At the same time, these students are facing escalating tuition costs, housing costs, student fees, health care, and so on.

I also disagree with the premise of no rift with professional sports and the public.

First, it’s an imperfect comparison because the professional teams like the NFL are operating privately within their stated mission (much different than universities).

Secondly, there is a rift between the public and, say, the NFL, as an example. The NFL has a huge fan base, willing to pay up, but it also has an equally large group that hates it at every level, and a large part of society in the middle that’s simply indifferent. The rifts tend to show up when certain flash points occur like public financing of stadiums for the benefit of private enterprise with dubious economic justification, very public criminal activity from the players, or player protests and advocacy. Sometimes I agree, and sometimes I don’t. But there is still a rift, and it is absolutely growing in professional sports. On a personal note, my wife absolutely hates the NFL, and laid into Watson case at dinner last night after his suspension was announced. She does not understand why he isn’t under criminal indictment.

There are myriad reasons, but trust me when I say that there was a rift at CU decades ago, and that was before many of these moves toward professionalism occurred. I think many of the traditional students would say they can do many things that the majority of the student athletes cannot, and what they can do is more in line with the underlying mission of the university than sports.

I do understand your point, though, and there is merit to the special skills argument, but the rift will grow if you are paying athletes a salary, NIL, scholarship, health insurance, and post eligibility benefits, all of which are on the table. At the same time, these students are facing escalating tuition costs, housing costs, student fees, health care, and so on.

I also disagree with the premise of no rift with professional sports and the public.

First, it’s an imperfect comparison because the professional teams like the NFL are operating privately within their stated mission (much different than universities).

Secondly, there is a rift between the public and, say, the NFL, as an example. The NFL has a huge fan base, willing to pay up, but it also has an equally large group that hates it at every level, and a large part of society in the middle that’s simply indifferent. The rifts tend to show up when certain flash points occur like public financing of stadiums for the benefit of private enterprise with dubious economic justification, very public criminal activity from the players, or player protests and advocacy. Sometimes I agree, and sometimes I don’t. But there is still a rift, and it is absolutely growing in professional sports. On a personal note, my wife absolutely hates the NFL, and laid into Watson case at dinner last night after his suspension was announced. She does not understand why he isn’t under criminal indictment.
I can see decades ago, when the sentiment was that student athletes were definitely students first, how some students might take issue with special treatment of athletes, but everything's out in the open now. The big business of college football, the massive stadiums, huge ratings, corporate sponsors, luxurious facilities, etc. The general student population knows their fellow "student athletes" are unofficial pros at this point and the top players in the country are quasi-celebrities. You'll still have the jackass frat kids who try to start fights with players and make comments about their public NIL deals, but I think that's few and far between. I actually think things go the opposite direction on campuses and most of the general student body will view them on a pedestal like most of the general public does with NFL players.

Fair enough on the public vs NFL, though. I think that's just the same line of thinking of people who despise corporate execs and their compensation (which includes me to an extent), without the entertainment aspect involved. Professional athletes compensation, in general (not necessarily within a salary cap constraint), is the ultimate form of Capitalism. These guys have a skill set that 99.9999% of all people who have ever walked the Earth don't have and they are able to use it to entertain millions and are compensated for it. Most people understand that concept, and those who don't, need to take another Economics class.

As for your wife's opinion on the NFL with the Watson case, I think that's somewhat of a separate conversation. Why a criminal case wasn't brought on him isn't the NFL's fault.

The players & recruits are fortunate with the timing right now. Not like that condiments company is going to add a new player brand every year.

I think that is an unique advertisement due to the name Bijan being similar to Dijon...just like that Decoldest ad for Nebraska.

I think that is an unique advertisement due to the name Bijan being similar to Dijon...just like that Decoldest ad for Nebraska.
No Way Disbelief GIF

Agree with you that the rift is going to grow huge in many institutions.

What you didn't mention is that there has also always been a rift between certain members of the academic community (professors, researchers, administrators) and the athletic end of the schools. There is no way that seeing this stuff happen isn't going to make that rift grow as well. When a redshirt freshman QB sitting on the bench is making more money that a nationally recognized professor, or that professors entire department, it isn't going to lead to positive responses.

As I've said before in the end I think this ends up with 25-35 schools going the huge money route in sports and a giant pullback from the rest. That is if eventually the NFL doesn't decide it wants the money and creates it's own developmental league. And before anyone says the NFL can't do it what do you think will be the response of the TV networks if the NFL makes contracts for broadcast rights contingent on those networks buying, showing, and promoting the developmental product?

I can see decades ago, when the sentiment was that student athletes were definitely students first, how some students might take issue with special treatment of athletes, but everything's out in the open now. The big business of college football, the massive stadiums, huge ratings, corporate sponsors, luxurious facilities, etc. The general student population knows their fellow "student athletes" are unofficial pros at this point and the top players in the country are quasi-celebrities. You'll still have the jackass frat kids who try to start fights with players and make comments about their public NIL deals, but I think that's few and far between. I actually think things go the opposite direction on campuses and most of the general student body will view them on a pedestal like most of the general public does with NFL players.

Fair enough on the public vs NFL, though. I think that's just the same line of thinking of people who despise corporate execs and their compensation (which includes me to an extent), without the entertainment aspect involved. Professional athletes compensation, in general (not necessarily within a salary cap constraint), is the ultimate form of Capitalism. These guys have a skill set that 99.9999% of all people who have ever walked the Earth don't have and they are able to use it to entertain millions and are compensated for it. Most people understand that concept, and those who don't, need to take another Economics class.

As for your wife's opinion on the NFL with the Watson case, I think that's somewhat of a separate conversation. Why a criminal case wasn't brought on him isn't the NFL's fault.
All fair points that I cannot necessarily refute. We shall see how things play out over the next several years. I am firmly in the camp that there will be huge problems surrounding a lot of the issues we’ve touched on today and at other times in this thread. My crystal ball isn’t always right, so time will tell.

I don't mean to be a dick - actually I do - because he is cross-promoting his company while pretending to be an influence that will bring CU back to prominence.

If you go to the company website, there is very little product. 4 flannels, gloves, a backpack, and hats. The signs of someone trying to begin a brand that has no value.

By “everyone” does he include Phil in that group? Because he’s the single biggest roadblock to this program being relevant again.

Posted in Fall Camp thread, oops.
But obviously lots of this running around - wonder what gives and who is Jimmie Searfoss?

Send $3 to my P.O. Box and I’ll mail you my very special cinnamon roll recipe and a photo of Ralphie.

Back