What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Offensively inept

Have to disagree. While I have been impressed with the San Diegos, UC Irvines, Sacramento States and their performances, it's not the attendance draw'er. And Kansas was away. If you need analogies. . . . .Oregon, (picked #1 Pac 12 this year) has Memphis, Houston, Seton Hall, Gonzaga and UNC, and those experiences will probably make the top league finisher pick come true. Arizona has Illinois, Pepperdine, Wake Forest, Baylor, St. Johns. . .UCLA has UNC, Notre Dame, BYU, Hofstra, . . USC has . . .LSU, Temple, TCU, Harvard, Pepperdine. . . . .Washington has Baylor, Tennessee, Gonzaga, Ball St, . . Utah has Minnesota, Tulane, Kentucky, BYU. . .just to name examples. You can't grow into a major basketball power playing Prairie View A&M (played like streetballers!)

Oregon played Texas Arlington and plays Texas Southern and Alabama State next.
Arizona has played Northern Arizona, Omaha and San Jose State.
Washington has played Mt. St Mary, Eastern Washington and Maine.

This is a stupid game you're playing. Also, Pepperdine has been terrible for a long time (but trending up under Romar). San Diego and UC Irvine have been WAY better programs the last several years... yet you list Pepperdine multiple times. Hofstra? Ball St.? Tulane? You can't be serious.

Oregon has played a legit awesome schedule so far though.

Well, agree to disagree, and yes, internet personalities can be interesting. I think phrasing is key, and combined with buffapalooza's new presence, yeah, I literally thought you were a troll trying to rile people up instead of a genuine fan. I think everyone agrees we need some quality frontcourt depth, but I think it's crucial to recognize that Walton was a project. He's exceeded my expectations so far actually, and hope he returns to some form to contribute to the team. It's like me criticizing a second round draft pick by the Nuggets for not contributing more to the team, or a seventh rounder for the Broncos not doing more.
It's been reported that Tad tries to make our OOC schedule more competitive, but it's tough. We're not always in the tournament, so we're a potential bad loss. That potential is heightened by the fact that even though we're not always a tournament team, we're still dangerous at home. I think this year is solid - UNI, KU, Dayton, the Vegas tournament.
No, I don't think we'll finish top 2 at this point, but I do think our ceiling is that high. I do still believe we'll go dancing and finish top 4 in the PAC. I think the PAC gets 5 teams in this year. (and to repeat myself, I didn't see the UNI game)
Thanks for the reasonable response ;o). I hate the word "troll" as much as I do the term "noob." So misused, but I know what your saying. At age 72, 30+ year season ticket holder, 2 CU grad kids put through college, I would never "troll" my "Buffs." Again, I didn't see him as a "project" nor a major force since a 7 footer didn't go to a major bb school. But I wasn't aware he had the same injury in high school, but his first (healthy?) year was not good, and so far. . meh. I REALLY wanted him to play more in the Prairie View game (probably a worse performance by the Buffs than Northern Iowa! TURNOVERS!) but he didn't. I didn't think he played poorly last night, but Boyle_ didn't give him much playing time, and I saw this as a perfect matchup for him?
As previously stated, I agree we "seem?" to be tough at home considering Tad's home record, but have you compared our home record with our schools? Schools "should" be tough at home, and I feel we have one of the worst attendance, especially by students. I have an extra pair of seats I "eat" often or sell at general admission price on stubhub because no one wants to come. . and their 12 row center section 9, on the aisle!
We go the #2 projection because of our big finish last year and only losing one senior, and best player (Bey) only a Junior. But I agree, we ain't making #2, and I bet we're 5th or 6th. As a UNI alum (wife too) I brought my brother and his wife, and was embarassed by their performance. UNI, midwestern mostly local players, are 3pt teams, but Boyle_ couldn't defend against them. I still get crap from my family in UNI country, and I'd rather see the Buffs lose to my alma mater as a surprise loss than any other 2nd rate team, but last nights performance against Prairie View was even worse. Took them 3/4's of the game to figure out how to be this 3-7 team who's only talent is physical defense and reaching in, which the crack NCAA Final Four officiating crew wouldn't get in control And I REALLY get tired of Tad's . . "well at least we find a way to win." ?! against a team you should be pounding as once a #21 ranked team? No Tad, putting a spin on a lousy win is good for the fans and your employer, but some of know better. Sorry, to sound like I'm "trolling" Tad and Buffs, but reality bites?!

This is not the year for anyone to complain about scheduling, it's legit this year. Every team gets a PVAM on their schedule. I'm not here to defend any other year's schedule, but this one is great.
Disagree. See my response about other Pac 12 dominate bb schools and their "OAC" schedule. You point out Prairie VIew, why not point out Northern Iowa and the loss?

Interesting, because your link is "strength of schedule" and suggests Colorado is 45th? An argument against my point ;o). But for NCAA power ratings, which includes strength of schedule their 55th, behind OR and AZ. But if anything needs improvement (besides turnovers) it's offense.
You actually got that wrong. Our overall SOS is 170th (average). It's about to go up in a big way too. And you don't grow your basketball program by playing good teams. You do that by beating them.

Disagree. See my response about other Pac 12 dominate bb schools and their "OAC" schedule. You point out Prairie VIew, why not point out Northern Iowa and the loss?
(from the rafters) BECAUSE NORTHERN IOWA IS A TOP 30 NET TEAM.

I think I'm repeating 12 other posts in this thread, and I don't even want to defend the Buffs right now because they're pretty infuriating to watch, but come on, man. That UNI loss suuuuucked. But UNI is good. Just because they're not P5 does not make them bad. 3 other teams in top 50, another couple right around 100. The teams you listed in the post you reference aren't better. Oregon has a *rediculous* non-con, but... pepperdine 155, wake forest 103, Notre Dame 110, Hofstra 194, harvard 149, ball st (??) 135, tulane 119. Again, frustration I get. This ain't the place

You think the new 3 point line contributes to this? Seems strange but possible.

Possible. A theory was the moving the line back would create more space in the lane, but it's completely reasonable that it really hasn't created more space but has led to more clanks from beyond the arc.

Possible. A theory was the moving the line back would create more space in the lane, but it's completely reasonable that it really hasn't created more space but has led to more clanks from beyond the arc.

this could actually explain a bit with the buffs...sub-par ball handlers/creators, 3 pt line moved back, perimeter players trying to start offense or make an entry pass even farther away from the basket than usual

results in us dribbling once then handing the ball off way too close to half court

I think I'm repeating 12 other posts in this thread, and I don't even want to defend the Buffs right now because they're pretty infuriating to watch, but come on, man. That UNI loss suuuuucked. But UNI is good. Just because they're not P5 does not make them bad. 3 other teams in top 50, another couple right around 100. The teams you listed in the post you reference aren't better. Oregon has a *rediculous* non-con, but... pepperdine 155, wake forest 103, Notre Dame 110, Hofstra 194, harvard 149, ball st (??) 135, tulane 119. Again, frustration I get. This ain't the place
But the point was. . these teams might not be rated high. . NOW. . but they're one-time basketball powers that DRAW attendance. If the Kansas game was here, it would be a sell out, and not just because Jayhawk fans can drive here. Because the #1 team in the country is playing nearby. Have you been attending these late weeknight "OAC" games? They're not even close to being sold out. As a UNI alum, I was offered $30 seats where locals have to pay $55. Several times this season and forthcoming, CU will offer single game tickets less than what we season ticket holders pay. I'm not sure CU knows how to draw attendance at their games. I feel the best way it so schedule traditional powerhouse BB teams or teams that will draw. CU doesn't get bowl bids like Nebraska, Iowa, and other big fan attendance schools because they had such a low fan base. Room for improvement.

Last edited:
But the point was. . these teams might not be rated high. . NOW. . but they're traditional basketball powers that DRAW attendance. If the Kansas game was here, it would be a sell out, and not just because Jayhawk fans can drive here. Because the #1 team in the country is playing nearby. Have you been attending these late weeknight "OAC" games? They're not even close to being sold out. As a UNI alum, I was offered $30 seats where locals have to pay $55. Several times this season and forthcoming, CU will offer single game tickets less than what we season ticket holders pay. I'm not sure CU knows how to draw attendance at their games. I feel the best way it so schedule traditional powerhouse BB teams or teams that will draw. CU doesn't get bowl bids like ****braska, Iowa, and other big fan attendance schools because they had such a low fan base. Room for improvement.

Is this where I yet again bring up the AD’d luck of support for basketball or should we let that dead horse lie?

You actually got that wrong. Our overall SOS is 170th (average). It's about to go up in a big way too. And you don't grow your basketball program by playing good teams. You do that by beating them.
You can't beat "good teams" . . unless you SCHEDULE them, and scheduling them at home improves your chances of beating them. I'm talking attendance. . as well as the program. I gave my UNI family/friends crap about UNI scheduling "Luther college" and "Grand Canyon (online) U., but then they point out Prairie View A&M and coming here and beating us. Reality bites.

You can't beat "good teams" . . unless you SCHEDULE them, and scheduling them at home improves your chances of beating them. I'm talking attendance. . as well as the program. I gave my UNI family/friends crap about UNI scheduling "Luther college" and "Grand Canyon (online) U., but then they point out Prairie View A&M and coming here and beating us. Reality bites.

Good teams have to agree to the schedule too. CU can’t just say “Villanova, you’re playing us!” Tad had Kentucky on a home and home a few years ago and they backed out.

Hofstra, Pepperdine, and Ball St are attendance draws? Your rambling is near incoherent. If I wasn’t already a season ticket holder, I’d actually be interested in Grand Canyon. Dan Majerle is making progress in turning them into a legit mid major program.

I'm seeing SOS at 30th

This will make us feel good. 70% chance to make the dance. Most likely a 6 seed.

Thanks for the reasonable response ;o). I hate the word "troll" as much as I do the term "noob." So misused, but I know what your saying. At age 72, 30+ year season ticket holder, 2 CU grad kids put through college, I would never "troll" my "Buffs." Again, I didn't see him as a "project" nor a major force since a 7 footer didn't go to a major bb school. But I wasn't aware he had the same injury in high school, but his first (healthy?) year was not good, and so far. . meh. I REALLY wanted him to play more in the Prairie View game (probably a worse performance by the Buffs than Northern Iowa! TURNOVERS!) but he didn't. I didn't think he played poorly last night, but Boyle_ didn't give him much playing time, and I saw this as a perfect matchup for him?
As previously stated, I agree we "seem?" to be tough at home considering Tad's home record, but have you compared our home record with our schools? Schools "should" be tough at home, and I feel we have one of the worst attendance, especially by students. I have an extra pair of seats I "eat" often or sell at general admission price on stubhub because no one wants to come. . and their 12 row center section 9, on the aisle!
We go the #2 projection because of our big finish last year and only losing one senior, and best player (Bey) only a Junior. But I agree, we ain't making #2, and I bet we're 5th or 6th. As a UNI alum (wife too) I brought my brother and his wife, and was embarassed by their performance. UNI, midwestern mostly local players, are 3pt teams, but Boyle_ couldn't defend against them. I still get crap from my family in UNI country, and I'd rather see the Buffs lose to my alma mater as a surprise loss than any other 2nd rate team, but last nights performance against Prairie View was even worse. Took them 3/4's of the game to figure out how to be this 3-7 team who's only talent is physical defense and reaching in, which the crack NCAA Final Four officiating crew wouldn't get in control And I REALLY get tired of Tad's . . "well at least we find a way to win." ?! against a team you should be pounding as once a #21 ranked team? No Tad, putting a spin on a lousy win is good for the fans and your employer, but some of know better. Sorry, to sound like I'm "trolling" Tad and Buffs, but reality bites?!
Then don't be one, if you don't like it.

Hofstra, Pepperdine, and Ball St are attendance draws? Your rambling is near incoherent. If I wasn’t already a season ticket holder, I’d actually be interested in Grand Canyon. Dan Majerle is making progress in turning them into a legit mid major program.
I knew someone would cherry-pick my examples, but you only found three you disagree with???
. . .and stop with the personal attacks. If you can't just disagree politely,and impersonally, go on some other sports-nut forum where you can bash the commentor rather than the comment..
Yes, Hofstra would draw fans as a popular NE college. You don't feel Pepperdine is a familiar if not popular bb school? They've been to the NCAA tournament 13 times. Ball St 29-3 under Rick Majerus 1989, has been to NCAA several times. And Rick Majerle is kind of at the bottom end of his career at Grand Canyon U. Not many fans come to see a coach (e.g. Bobby Knight Texas Tech in Big 12)
but that's just my opinion, I could be "rambling incoherently! :eek:)

Then don't be one, if you don't like it.
be one what ? "Peckerwood?" ;o). You can call me all the names you want, if that makes you feel better. I "try" to back my "opinions" with some facts or substance, unlike pec. er trolls.

I knew someone would cherry-pick my examples, but you only found three you disagree with???
. . .and stop with the personal attacks. If you can't just disagree politely,and impersonally, go on some other sports-nut forum where you can bash the commentor rather than the comment..
Yes, Hofstra would draw fans as a popular NE college. You don't feel Pepperdine is a familiar if not popular bb school? They've been to the NCAA tournament 13 times. Ball St 29-3 under Rick Majerus 1989, has been to NCAA several times. And Rick Majerle is kind of at the bottom end of his career at Grand Canyon U. Not many fans come to see a coach (e.g. Bobby Knight Texas Tech in Big 12)
but that's just my opinion, I could be "rambling incoherently! :eek:)

tenor.gif

Pepperdine last went to an NCAA tournament in 2002. They've been over .500 3 times since then. No, it is not a popular basketball school.
Hofstra has actually been a solid program the last few years. But they last went to the NCAA tournament in 2001. I have no idea how one would define them as a "popular NE college".
Ball State last went to an NCAA tournament in 2000. No one cares that they won 29 games 30 years ago. Rick Majerus was a great great coach for a long long time. He died 7 years ago.
Rick Majerle is not a person. But Dan Majerle is a former NBA all star. Grand Canyon is his first head coaching job.

These are not personal attacks. This is pointing out that you are rambling incoherently.

Again. . you, et al are trying to point out their "current" influence. I'm trying to point out their "past" influence as a factor to draw more attendance. I agree, teams playing well and highly ranked would draw interest, but I'm talking about school fans and schools that once had successes. e.g., I doubt if there were a lot of Prairie View alum or fans at the game, but a Notre Dame playing here would command not only alums but many fan favorites. That's all I'm saying.

This was not recent Buffs we've seen lately last night in Chicago. Clearly this was the best performance all year. The irony here is the title of this parent thread "Offensively inept" which seems we can all agree, but last night was a different team. Defensively they met the challenge, but offensively they rose to the occasion. It was an amazing game, and for those that love Walton, I admit his performance was great! /s/

Back