What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 All-in-One Assistant Coaches Compendium Thread - hagan in, bernardi to te, adams ol -

Yes. No, but since he has no experience as Oc, there really is no evidence he'd be a good one, especially right away. And yes.

Now, do you like training ocs?

You'd rather keep Lindgren than Walters? Good lord. I believe Walters would excel in the role.

so just a couple days ago, there were people ready to heave Walters under the bus for reasons. Today, others want to promote him to OC? lolz

so just a couple days ago, there were people ready to heave Walters under the bus for reasons. Today, others want to promote him to OC? lolz

Who in their right mind wanted to get rid of Walters? One of two decent coaches/recruiters we have on this staff.

P.S. lolz

Reports new HC Frost is targeting AC Walters....

EDIT: In another thread, mods delete if you like.

Leavitt (DC & LBs): Improvement across the board on defense and he's got recruiting chops. Keep.

Tumpkin (Safeties): Good recruiter who has done work in FL and got us back into Louisiana. Safeties played well this year. Keep.

Clark (Cornerbacks): Has landed some key recruits and took the initiative to recruit Georgia. His position group was a bright spot. Keep.

Jeffcoat (DLs): Hasn't done much as a recruiter but did seem to have his position group doing ok despite a ton of injuries. 50/50 on this one.

In short, I think you can move forward with the defensive staff and be on a good path. I'm also confident that Leavitt does a good job coaching up his coaches so we'd be fine regardless of if it ends up that a new position coach is brought in or not.

Lindgren (OC & QBs): No recruiting cache and QB development has been mediocre. Doesn't seem to run the offensive staff. More like he's a game planner and play caller. I think we need to bring in at least someone to get a Co-Offensive Coordinator position and manage the offensive staff & sideline substitutions even if Lindgren stays as the primary game planner and the play caller.

Bernardi (OLs): This season from Hawaii through Utah was not up to an acceptable standard. Poor recognition. Poor angles. Lack of fight at times. Bad penalties at bad moments. Bernardi needs to go.

Adams (RBs, FBs & TEs): Solid young coach whose RBs played well and at TE I think we saw Irwin develop a lot this year. I pretty much put him in the Clark camp. Could you upgrade? Maybe. But he's not the problem. I'd like to see reduced position responsibility (see Neinas below).

Walters (WRs & Recruiting Coordinator): I'm not sure why he has been getting a free pass from fans. Fans aren't happy with recruiting, but we don't blame the Recruiting Coordinator. Fans aren't happy with Texas recruiting in particular, but we don't blame the coach who is the main recruiter for Texas. Fans aren't happy with the development of the WRs who aren't named Spruce, but we don't blame the WR coach. I'm not ready to say he has to be fired, but I also don't think it would be much of a loss if he was.

Neinas (ST Coordinator): Poor recruiter and having a dedicated ST Coordinator has not resulted in even average special teams. His group set the tone for the season with the blocked punt at the beginning of the Hawaii game and hasn't looked back. (Same exact mistake repeated itself in another game.) Neinas has to be fired and another coach for the offense needs to be brought in at RB or TE or Inside Receivers or whatever. New guy needs to be a recruiter first.

I'm with nik. I don't think we need to get rid of him but I don't think he's done enough for me to panic if he leaves.

I wouldn't panic necessarily. I'm fine with Walters, but it would also open up a wr and recruiting coordinator spot on our staff that we should be able to upgrade, at least from a recruiting standpoint.

I like Walters, but I don't think it's the end of the world. Would be nice to have a guy that leaves for an actual promotion for once.

This is the game of college football. Walters has been the best of a bad lot of recruiters until Leavitt and Tumpkin rolled into town (thus waking up Clark). If he goes, he goes. Not the end of the world.

Not only do I think we need an experienced OC (if a change is made), but I really think the OC needs to be the QB coach as well. Easier to find a WR coach who can be an ace recruiter than it is to find a quality QB coach only willing to be a QB coach IMO.

Not only do I think we need an experienced OC (if a change is made), but I really think the OC needs to be the QB coach as well. Easier to find a WR coach who can be an ace recruiter than it is to find a quality QB coach only willing to be a QB coach IMO.
Agreed. I hope Walters stays; but there are a lot of options at wr coach.
I would be fine with making him the passing game coord. And give the recruiting coord. Title to one of the new hires.

You'd rather keep Lindgren than Walters? Good lord. I believe Walters would excel in the role.

Dan Hawkins did this with Eric Kiesau his final two years here after Helfrich left. Promoted from within, presumably because his networking was bad and this was seen as a soon to be lame duck regime anyway. Seemed lazy. Gave Kies one of the multiyear contracts and everything. We are small time as **** if we try that business again.

I like Walters, but I don't think it's the end of the world. Would be nice to have a guy that leaves for an actual promotion for once.

Right. No one on our offense should be considered untouchable. I know we fall in love with certain ones around here because they seem like nice guys, great attitude/teammates and are even good interviews or social media follows, but no single player or coach on that side of the ball cannot be upgraded with some effort by our head coach. I thought Walters was a strong hire by MacIntyre when he started here but we should strive to do even better with the next hire rather than spell DOOM because the previous coaches mucked it up when they had to find replacements.

Panic!!! Meltdown mode!!!

BTW you at an idiot if you would rather lose our best recruiter and a great coach for a WAC level coach.

Best recruiter is debatable, but your argument is flawed. No one is really stating a preference for Lindgren over Walters, except as it pertains to the OC. If it makes me an "idiot" to believe it would be a mistake for MM to give Walters a promotion, so be it. WR coaches are hardly irreplaceable.

Congrats to Troy for the resume builder and expanding professional network.

If 0-12 UCF is flipping our recruits that's more of an indictment of a head coach who can't close than frustration over a former coach poaching them.

Frost is going to be calling the plays and installing the offense while Walters learns.
Having him learn to be an OC at CU would be a mistake IMO.
We'll be fine. Tumpkin is the lead recruiter for Julmisse and Huntley. More changes to come.
Congrats to coach Walters.

Best recruiter is debatable, but your argument is flawed. No one is really stating a preference for Lindgren over Walters, except as it pertains to the OC. If it makes me an "idiot" to believe it would be a mistake for MM to give Walters a promotion, so be it. WR coaches are hardly irreplaceable.
A great coach that recruits respect and that will be an OC in Power 5 within a couple years is stupid to keep a guy that you don't hear much about recruiting and regressed.

Back