What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 Coaching Carousel

Hawkins joining Butch Davis' staff as OC :rolleyes:

Odd connection, did they work games or a show togeather?

I think this is a good move for Hawk to try and rehab his image and if he isn't too full of himself, learn to be a better coach. With that said I think horribly fail because he is too thick headed and full of himself.

LSU should hire Bobby Petrino and budget in a top DC. He's twice the coach that Jimbo Fisher is. I'm not sure Jimbo is even a good coach.

11-5 in that conference the last two years. That's not going to compete with Nick Saban. That's kind of garbage.

Gundy's name keeps popping up but LSU fans sound underwhelmed with that choice :/

Haters in the club.

I think Fedora is going to get a bigger job after proving it at the P5 level with North Carolina.

And, finally, the carousel begins to spin.

Rumors abound. But truth is indeed funnier than fiction, HaLk perched in the booth at FIU is pure hilarity. I pity the FIU fans, especially if their is a 16-17 HaLk Jr. at home. Butch Davis always struck me a smart guy.

Herman to UT, LSU grabbing Fisher, it is going to be crazy the next few weeks.

HCCS is almost certainly gone, Brian "the leprechaun" Kelly is likely gone, bailer will be looking for a HC, TT may jettison Kliffy Kingsbury, Sonny Dykes surely has a UHaul reservation, tons of movement.

What's the conventional wisdom on Helfrich? Is it a foregone conclusion that he will be out?

What's the conventional wisdom on Helfrich? Is it a foregone conclusion that he will be out?
I think that's a given. Might end up back at OC for someone though. I think he's pretty good at that and would be cheap having made his cash and a lifelong Oregon resident who will one day retire back at Coos Bay in SW Oregon on the coast.

Reset:
Trying to consolidate the info....

Open jobs:

1. Purdue- Darrell Hazell fired. Names: Troy Calhoun of AFA (he has since denied), former LSU HC Les Miles, Jacksonville Jag OC Greg Olson. Les Miles supposedly wants to bring Steve Sarkisian and Mike Locksley with him. P.J. Fleck also being mentioned.
2. LSU- Les Miles canned. Ed "The Cajun Wild Man" Orgeron at the helm with an interim tag. Names: Jimbo Fisher rumored to be the guy, as noted above by TDforTD, Ed Oregeron named a "strong candidate", other names include Herman, Fedora, Gundy, Fuente and Holgerson, and our own MikMac. Apparently, Aranda staying on is a condition of any new hire. Hire is supposedly imminent.

Jobs filled:

1. Fresno- Jeff Tedford gets the job, mid-season. Good hire, but the timing is weird. Of note, D II Danny applied and interviewed for the gig, according to the Fresno Bee.
2. FIU- Butch Davis takes the FIU gig. 5 year deal and all the Banana Boat products he wants. HaLk is the OC and brings the junk in the trunk.

Highly probable openings:

1. Bailer- Old Man Grobe at the helm with an interim tag. Names: Don't know, but something tells me Dykes may be on their radar, reports Les Miles has spoken with the crazy Baptists. Chad Morriss, Tom Herman, Dino Babers and, according to some MikMac himself.
2. UT-I'll go ahead and add them here, Strong is 5-6. After dropping trow to KU for the first time since FDR was President, HCCS is a goner. Multiple reports he has already been fired, UT Pres. is backpeddling, but this is as sure as it gets. Names are; Herman, Herman or Herman,
3. Oregon- I'll speculate a little here too, I don't think Helfrich survives the 4-7 dumpster fire he started in Eugene. ESPN hack said a week ago or so that Uncle Phil is ready to throw a ton of cash at a proven winner...not good news for Helfrich. Update: Oregon denies report via former AD Kilkenny.
4. Texas Tortilla Technicians- Kliffy Kingsbury is not on solid ground, could soon have more free time to "make acquaintances" with coeds. Holy crap edit: I did not realize TT lost by 56 to ISU, h/t to Buff_since76...Kliffy is a goner.​

Last edited:
I think you have to add Texas Tech to the highly probable for coach searches. Add in the fact that Herman is probably leaving, that puts 4 openings in Texas.

It could be 5 if aTm ****s the bed, they could fire Sumlin.

I think you have to add Texas Tech to the highly probable for coach searches. Add in the fact that Herman is probably leaving, that puts 4 openings in Texas.

Will do, thanks for the tip.

Tech cannot afford that buyout.

His NFL career might be over and I am sure there would be lots of Universities interested in him. But the ducks? Not sure why he would go back unless it was his only choice.

Oregon is in a tough spot. That program has had continuity like no other with personnel that have been there forever (S&C and whatnot), systems that have been pretty much the same for decades, etc. But they started losing the long-time coaches and now the question is whether the best path forward is to maintain continuity or to bring in something new with all the risks associated with that.

Oregon is in a tough spot. That program has had continuity like no other with personnel that have been there forever (S&C and whatnot), systems that have been pretty much the same for decades, etc. But they started losing the long-time coaches and now the question is whether the best path forward is to maintain continuity or to bring in something new with all the risks associated with that.

I'm just speaking from Chips perspective. Maybe he would considering the familiarity factor and how much he hated all of the booster requirements. "I don't have to recruit and I don't have to ass kiss. I'm yours."

I'm just speaking from Chips perspective. Maybe he would considering the familiarity factor and how much he hated all of the booster requirements. "I don't have to recruit and I don't have to ass kiss. I'm yours."
He is in a much different spot now than he was then. I get the feeling he'll just be looking for a safe space come January.

Oregon would be as close to ideal as possible given his supposed disdain for kissing booster ass and recruiting. He would come in as a Pete Carroll +++ resume to recruit off of, and then really just has to worry about Phil.

This Charlie Strong drama is embarrassing. You're going to "evaluate" him after the TCU game? and that's going to tell you what? The whole world knows UT is going to fire him. They should do it and let him coach against TCU and a bowl game if they get one....

So other than Oregon and Helfrich, are there any other P12 coaches on the hot seat? Maybe Rodriguez, I suspect Sonny Dykes will be applying for every college HC job in the free world again. Anybody else?

UT has handled this so poorly.
Agreed. It's no secret to anyone that he's out and that they want Herman. What is the TCU game going to do for his evaluation? Are they going to stick with him if UT wins 55-0? Of course not. If the interest is mutual between UT and Herman, they should just fire Strong now and hire Herman asap.

Back