What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

Glenn Spencer out at defensive coordinator for Okie State. He coached DL for OK State for a year and did so at GT as well. He was with MacIntyre at Duke as AHC and recruiting coordinator as well. Maybe an option for MacIntyre at DL coach?
I don’t care if he can coach at our weakest position group, is he an ace recruiter??

Sighed,
AllBuffs

It seems pretty silly to ignore recruiting issues at "our weakest position."
I mean, I guess I hope that the recruiting coordinator title proves that he can recruit a bit. It may be a stretch for a position, and I would prefer a young recruiter for DL coach, but what I want and what Mac wants out of coaches often differ, and this one seems right up his alley

I mean, I guess I hope that the recruiting coordinator title proves that he can recruit a bit. It may be a stretch for a position, and I would prefer a young recruiter for DL coach, but what I want and what Mac wants out of coaches often differ, and this one seems right up his alley

I appreciate you passing on the info, it does seem like a possibility. If nothing else, Okie Lite recruits Texas as hard as anyone.

Tate's too good a passer to be limited to a triple option system. Nui is a hell of a coach, but if he stuck to a triple option he'd be limiting zona's ceiling with a generational talent.

Tate's too good a passer to be limited to a triple option system. Nui is a hell of a coach, but if he stuck to a triple option he'd be limiting zona's ceiling with a generational talent.
That's what I think. It's a move that gets UA winning 6-8 games a year with the occasional big year of 9 or 10 wins. Probably beat ASU at least 50/50. For a basketball school, I'd expect that this would make their fans extremely happy.

Not necessarily buying that would be a great hire. He can clearly coach, but is he going to be dramatically better than one of his main mentors, Paul Johnson, at the P5 level?

The good to great years are fun, but the off years can get ugly.

I think the dude could be unreal in a triple option, but what I saw in their bowl game told me he could be a very good passer as well.

Ken N. is a very good coach IMO. I still think the triple option is viable in CFB, and not only at service academies. GT has won about .580, with a couple of 10 win seasons mixed in over the 10 years Paul Johnson has been there. You aren't going to win it all with that approach, but realistically, there are only about 15 teams that are really threats to win it all anyway.

Ken N. would probably do quite well at AZ with the triple. As others have said, win 7-9 games a year and you can have a nice run at AZ.

And the triple doesn't limit the passing game. Most of the pass plays are long passes when the safeties bite up. You don't throw as much, but there is a premium on the longer passes. Tate would be frightening in Ken N.'s system.

Not necessarily buying that would be a great hire. He can clearly coach, but is he going to be dramatically better than one of his main mentors, Paul Johnson, at the P5 level?

The good to great years are fun, but the off years can get ugly.
No, I doubt he'd be better than Paul Johnson. But Paul Johnson has only had 2 seasons where GT didn't go to a bowl out of 10, is 20 games over .500 in his tenure, and has won >10 games twice. I bet that sounds pretty nice to a basketball school like Arizona.

I dont' want the triple option at all in the P12 because having to prepare for a one-off offense will be bad for the conference's playoff hopes (there will be wonky results with better teams losing to AZ if that happens, but AZ will never be good enough to win the conference, much like GT), and KN could probably recruit system athletes pretty well down there.

If you can run the Triple Option effectively and build a decent defense, you will perennially be an upper half of the conference team around 7-8 wins. The mediocre to bad teams aren't coached well enough, talented enough, or disciplined enough to consistently stop that kind of offense with only a week to prep. The above average to great teams in the conference will be able to handle it more often than not.

Back