What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

I think Bobo is a decent coach, but he does not have the "it" factor IMO. The Ansley hire is decent, but not sure it is any sort of game changer in the MWC. They are losing a big in-state recruiting influence with English retiring, which opens the door further for Wyoming. Plus they are not really beating out Boise or SDSU for Cali recruits either. Seems like a recipe for a lot of 7-9 win seasons. Pretty good, but not special.

Unless you believe the under-recruited guys they are pulling in from SEC country are better than the recruits they are losing to Boise and SDSU. I happen to think that they are making up ground, but that's purely speculation on my part, but based on watching about every game the last two years and see a lot of young guys really open some eyes. I (unfortunately) watch a lot of CSU football, which makes things easier at home.

Can’t help but to think these guys at CSU are there to build resumes.
True of every stepping stone job, which all CFB jobs are, in one sense. Perhaps not a few elite spots in the country (CFB head coaching jobs).

Edit: Hokie beat me to it

Unless you believe the under-recruited guys they are pulling in from SEC country are better than the recruits they are losing to Boise and SDSU. I happen to think that they are making up ground, but that's purely speculation on my part, but based on watching about every game the last two years and see a lot of young guys really open some eyes. I (unfortunately) watch a lot of CSU football, which makes things easier at home.

I don't think they are making big gains with defensive talent though. They always seem to have 2-3 draft pick types, 4-5 mediocre players, and then are filled out with liabilities. Maybe Ansley helps change that, but I doubt he makes a dramatic difference.

isn't that true for nearly every person who isn't near retirement, regardless of profession?

True of every stepping stone job, which all CFB jobs are, in one sense. Perhaps not a few elite spots in the country (CFB head coaching jobs).

Edit: Hokie beat me to it

True but the CSU job is perfectly suited to launch a coach’s career. Achieving 8 or 9 wins and going to a Bowl is relatively easy.

My criticism of Bobo is that in crucial games he does not seem to have his team ready and they don't always play 4 quarters. I don't think they will miss English - the defense was not very good under his watch. Losing recruiting in Colorado will not hurt if they can pick up second tier players in the SE. Lets face it - Colorado is not a Meca for HS football talent and I think CSU is still an option for kids that don't get P5 attention. I think getting a coach who trained under Saban cannot hurt - will probably be a strong recruiter.

Bieniemy as Chiefs OC... That offense is one of the more innovative in the NFL - if he has some success could lead to a HC gig somewhere.
That OC position is a title only. Andy Reid is the playcaller and defacto OC, but hey, the Bears hired their old OC as HC, so there's definitely hope.

Any chance we hear about possible coaching hires tomorrow? Or considering MacIntyre's prior glacial speed is that a fool's errand?

Last edited:
Rumor going around that Derrick Ansley might be going to the Raiders instead of CSU...
giphy.gif

Back