What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

If they kept the same staff, and Herm just acts as CEO and recruits the African American Mom's, promising to take good care, it could work.
The discipline he seems to live by also could help at ASU. Risky hire, but could be huge.
He's 63, hasn't coached since 2008 and hasn't coached or recruited in college since he was a DB coach at San Jose State in 1989. He had a losing record and never won a playoff game as an NFL head coach. This is one of the most bizarre hires I can remember and I'll be shocked if it's an improvement.

Has “recruiting the African American Moms” really been an issue for ASU? The last 4 recruiting cycles they have ranked 32nd, 24th, 19th and 23rd. Recruiting isn’t the issue. Also, it’s not like Herm Edwards is all of the sudden going to beat SC and UCLA for CA recruits.
I agree with that but think you are selling them short. They could be getting top 10-15 classes.

He's 63, hasn't coached since 2008 and hasn't coached or recruited in college since he was a DB coach at San Jose State in 1989. He had a losing record and never won a playoff game as an NFL head coach. This is one of the most bizarre hires I can remember and I'll be shocked if it's an improvement.
It's a very risky hire for sure. But it might turn out to be a home run. It's almost certainly going to be really good or really bad, and I'd not bet on success.

Last edited:
Leach's offense in the SEC would be fun to watch but isn't going to get them any closer to consistently contending for conference titles than they currently are. So the list of coaches they have now run through in the hiring process include:

Gruden, Kelly, Frost, Mullen, Cutcliffe, Gundy, Schiano, Morris and Brohm with Doeren and Leach seemingly on deck. If those two pass or "don't make the cut", that is 11 different candidates... Others that might be considered... Norvell? Sumlin? Kiffin? Tee Martin?

Almost time to circle back around to Food Cart with a nice fruit basket and an apology for developing higher expectations.

So Ray Anderson put those high expectations after firing Graham and then hired Herm Edwards couple days later? Lmao

Herm Edwards better get good at having recruit mommas ignore Instagram. The number of promiscuous and half nude young ladies from ASU on that app players can meet could be reason #1 to attend that school.

Reset, this time it's personal.....

Filled jobs:

fUCLA- They strike hard and fast, grabbing the brass ring and landing Chip Kelly. h/t Jens.
UF- Mullen is in, per ESPN.
Ole Miss- Matt Luke it is. h/t nik.
MSU- Joey Moorhead, OC at Pedo. St. takes over in Starkville. h/t cmgoods
ASU- Herm Edwards. I have trouble typing that because I am laughing too hard. (h/t cmgoods) The only reason this is not the worst hire is that UT is setting new standards for AD malfeasance.

Open jobs:

Oregon St. - Cal OC Beau Baldwin was tapped for the job. h/t nik UPDATE: not so fast, they are still looking. (h/t NW Buff) All AC's, except Cory Hall, fired and told to evacuate the athletic building. Dennis Erickson redux? UPDATE: I give up, they'll hire somebody, retract it, hire someone else, rinse repeat. One day there will be a presser, watch that.
Rice- David Bailiff let go. (h/t zapata)
NU- Riley out. h/t Jens. Apparently all in on Frost, after that, who knows? Fuente,? Many sources reporting Frost is the man.
Arky- Bielema out, ****canned as he walked off the field. Malzahn still has remarkable traction, if not him, probably Norvell or Chad Morriss. Looking to hire AD within the week and HC a week after that. A search firm for each job has been retained.
Kent St.- Paul Haynes out. h/t mdelpizzo
Ga. Southern- Tyson Summers out. Tee Martin has shown interest ( I forget who posted this, so h/t to somebody)
UTEP- Kugler out, Mike Price in for a repeat.
South Alabama- Joey Jones out
aTm- Sumlin out. Rumored to have offered Jimbo Fisher.

Possibles:

FSU- If Jimbo bolts to aTm, FSU has begun vetting Willie Taggart. h/t Jens. Of course that would open up OU...Leavitt, Titans and the collapse of civilizations would ensue.

In a category all their own:

Tennessee- After enduring Grudcon 1, Rocky Top suffers a case of Grudon dysfunction. Greg Schiano signs a MOU, Vols go absolutely ape**** with legislators, former players, talk show hosts and dog catchers protesting Schiano pedophile allegations. Schiano is told "no thanks" and Schiano's agent, in his best Ray Liotta voice from Goodfellas says "Screw you, pay me." Currie the AD, after having to **** backwards on the issue, is now searching, again. No way Gruden leaves his lofty perch to step in that collective pile of dog doo. Who would? A complete hot mess with a side of vitriol. Fun to watch, unless you are a Vol. Kiffin trolling them mercilessly. Food cart watching the city burn from afar.....UPDATE: Cutcliffe at Duke says no thanks. (h/t Ruckus). Now chasing Mike Gundy, who spurned them in 2012 (h/t Austin Cameron). UPDATE OF THE UPDATE: (h/t Serenity Buff) Mountains of cash being thrown at Gundy, and he is listening, btw, he's a man ya know. UPDATE, COMEDY VERSION: Gundy works UT like an old shoe, only to stay at Okie Lite. h/t cmgoods. No HC search has gone this badly in recent memory. Miles, Morris (h/t Tscheck) Brohm (h/t ahoelsken) are in play. One has to wonder how far down the list UT goes before MikMac is considered. They may truly end up with Dave Logan. No Brohm, despite earlier reports today, (h/r Tscheck, Austin Cameron), on to NCST's Doeren (h/t DuffMan).

Other news:
TCU- Extended GPat trough 2024 h/t nik
TTU- KliffyK safe h/t onealcd
KU- Beaty confirmed to be back next year.
Mizzou- Barry Odom set for extension.
ISU- Campbell signs extension

Please forgive my attempts at humor, this stuff is highly amusing to me.​

Last edited:
MM is not going to Tennessee. If their idiot fans had a problem with Schiano and what he actually never did at Penn State are not going to be OK with the fact that MM paid $100,000 as a slap on the wrist for the Tumpkin ordeal. We need to laser focus on hoping that Mason leaves Vanderbilt!!! That is one job that MM would sprint across country like Forest Gump to go and get that job where his dad coached, and I think he would be the top choice. Otherwise, we need Georgia Tech to get bored of Paul Johnson.

Interesting video of some guys at GT
http://www.tmz.com/2017/11/28/georgia-tech-football-fight-video-step-durham-lance-austin/

Pete Carroll had a pretty mediocre record as an NFL head coach and hadn't coached at a college program in 18 years when USC hired him, so I guess it's not impossible that this works out but it sure seems strange.

In other news, after hearing of the Herm Edwards hire, Steve Mariucci and Dave Wannstedt are busily getting their resumes ready for UT.

Pete Carroll had a pretty mediocre record as an NFL head coach and hadn't coached at a college program in 18 years when USC hired him, so I guess it's not impossible that this works out but it sure seems strange.

In other news, after hearing of the Herm Edwards hire, Steve Mariucci and Dave Wannstedt are busily getting their resumes ready for UT.
Herm wished he had a mediocre NFL record. Carroll was also only out of coaching for a couple of years, not 10.

Herm wished he had a mediocre NFL record. Carroll was also only out of coaching for a couple of years, not 10.
I get it, they're not the exact same situation, thanks. Just saying, the Carroll hire must have looked a little strange back then too. I'm not expecting Herm to work out, but who knows.

Wow. Of all the guys they could have hired... Herm Edwards.

Well, maybe he will be better than we all think. I certainly hope not. This looks more like an Embree hire than a Carroll hire.

More like the st louis cardinals hiring bud wilkinson in 1978, 15 years after he retired from coaching OU.

That I have to go back that far is how stupid this is. Thanks ASU!

Reset, this time it's personal.....

Filled jobs:

fUCLA- They strike hard and fast, grabbing the brass ring and landing Chip Kelly. h/t Jens.
UF- Mullen is in, per ESPN.
Ole Miss- Matt Luke it is. h/t nik.
MSU- Joey Moorhead, OC at Pedo. St. takes over in Starkville. h/t cmgoods
ASU- Herm Edwards. I have trouble typing that because I am laughing too hard. (h/t cmgoods) The only reason this is not the worst hire is that UT is setting new standards for AD malfeasance.

Open jobs:

Oregon St. - Cal OC Beau Baldwin was tapped for the job. h/t nik UPDATE: not so fast, they are still looking. (h/t NW Buff) All AC's, except Cory Hall, fired and told to evacuate the athletic building. Dennis Erickson redux? UPDATE: I give up, they'll hire somebody, retract it, hire someone else, rinse repeat. One day there will be a presser, watch that.
Rice- David Bailiff let go. (h/t zapata)
NU- Riley out. h/t Jens. Apparently all in on Frost, after that, who knows? Fuente,? Many sources reporting Frost is the man.
Arky- Bielema out, ****canned as he walked off the field. Malzahn still has remarkable traction, if not him, probably Norvell or Chad Morriss. Looking to hire AD within the week and HC a week after that. A search firm for each job has been retained.
Kent St.- Paul Haynes out. h/t mdelpizzo
Ga. Southern- Tyson Summers out. Tee Martin has shown interest ( I forget who posted this, so h/t to somebody)
UTEP- Kugler out, Mike Price in for a repeat.
South Alabama- Joey Jones out
aTm- Sumlin out. Rumored to have offered Jimbo Fisher.

Possibles:

FSU- If Jimbo bolts to aTm, FSU has begun vetting Willie Taggart. h/t Jens. Of course that would open up OU...Leavitt, Titans and the collapse of civilizations would ensue.

In a category all their own:

Tennessee- After enduring Grudcon 1, Rocky Top suffers a case of Grudon dysfunction. Greg Schiano signs a MOU, Vols go absolutely ape**** with legislators, former players, talk show hosts and dog catchers protesting Schiano pedophile allegations. Schiano is told "no thanks" and Schiano's agent, in his best Ray Liotta voice from Goodfellas says "Screw you, pay me." Currie the AD, after having to **** backwards on the issue, is now searching, again. No way Gruden leaves his lofty perch to step in that collective pile of dog doo. Who would? A complete hot mess with a side of vitriol. Fun to watch, unless you are a Vol. Kiffin trolling them mercilessly. Food cart watching the city burn from afar.....UPDATE: Cutcliffe at Duke says no thanks. (h/t Ruckus). Now chasing Mike Gundy, who spurned them in 2012 (h/t Austin Cameron). UPDATE OF THE UPDATE: (h/t Serenity Buff) Mountains of cash being thrown at Gundy, and he is listening, btw, he's a man ya know. UPDATE, COMEDY VERSION: Gundy works UT like an old shoe, only to stay at Okie Lite. h/t cmgoods. No HC search has gone this badly in recent memory. Miles, Morris (h/t Tscheck) Brohm (h/t ahoelsken) are in play. One has to wonder how far down the list UT goes before MikMac is considered. They may truly end up with Dave Logan. No Brohm, despite earlier reports today, (h/r Tscheck, Austin Cameron), on to NCST's Doeren (h/t DuffMan).

Other news:
TCU- Extended GPat trough 2024 h/t nik
TTU- KliffyK safe h/t onealcd
KU- Beaty confirmed to be back next year.
Mizzou- Barry Odom set for extension.
ISU- Campbell signs extension

Please forgive my attempts at humor, this stuff is highly amusing to me.​
This is fantastic...truly. It makes me (almost) forget about the current state of our Mighty Buffs.

Embree is a good man... No argument. Klatt may very well be a good man - but he and Bill McCartney's misguided lynch mob against the athletic dept. set the school back and harmed our reputation when Embree deserved to be fired. I understand it's sacrilegious to criticize either of them - but I'll never forgive them for that BS.

Oregon offers new 5 year deal to Taggart per ESPN
I saw some reports about that earlier today, and they said it was valued at $4m/year. If that's the case, I don't really see what that does. FSU can easily double that if they want. They did mention that Taggart lost some control due to his staff issues early last year and that he would get that control back.

This lane kiffen stuff is hilarious but just another example of why you don’t want him to be your coach.
Wait, that's actually him? Not a parody account?

OK, on the one hand, mad respect for him for actually doing it, OTOH that's small time.

It's awesome.

But awesome in the same way that Popeyes chicken is awesome. You don't have business dinners there...

Embree is a good man... No argument. Klatt may very well be a good man - but he and Bill McCartney's misguided lynch mob against the athletic dept. set the school back and harmed our reputation when Embree deserved to be fired. I understand it's sacrilegious to criticize either of them - but I'll never forgive them for that BS.
I don't remember all the details, but I know much of the hate toward the AD was due to the fact that Bohn got to fire Barnett, hire Hawkins, fire Hawkins, hire Embree, fire Embree and hire MacIntyre. That's 6 different decisions he was afforded to make pertaining to the most important coaching job in the AD.

I don't remember all the details, but I know much of the hate toward the AD was due to the fact that Bohn got to fire Barnett, hire Hawkins, fire Hawkins, hire Embree, fire Embree and hire MacIntyre. That's 6 different decisions he was afforded to make pertaining to the most important coaching job in the AD.
Yup, he said over and over again that he shouldn’t be able to make his 4th coaching decision with the football team because all three of the prior ones did not work out well.

I don't remember all the details, but I know much of the hate toward the AD was due to the fact that Bohn got to fire Barnett, hire Hawkins, fire Hawkins, hire Embree, fire Embree and hire MacIntyre. That's six different bad decisions he was afforded to make pertaining to the most important coaching job in the AD.
FIFY

Back