What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2019/20 CFB Coaching Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I've mentioned that my brother went to CSU and could accurately be described as a super fan, lol.

He doesn't think Alford is a possibility unless their primary candidates all turn them down. It sounds like HC experience is a driving factor there.

CSU is in a tough spot. The new facilities should help, but they are likely to be competing against a few good G5 programs for HC's, FAU, Memphis, possibly UAB or ULL will be open due to their HC's stepping up. UNLV is open too, but CSU is at worst on par, but IMO a better gig than UNLV.

CSU is in a tough spot. The new facilities should help, but they are likely to be competing against a few good G5 programs for HC's, FAU, Memphis, possibly UAB or ULL will be open due to their HC's stepping up. UNLV is open too, but CSU is at worst on par, but IMO a better gig than UNLV.

The one question that I have is where CSU is financially, after having to pony up a much higher than usual (or them) buyout. They have some high-profile names that are being thrown out in connection to their search, but they're going to have to be able to pay for a former P5 head coach, if they think they can get one.

So bidding war between Ole Miss and Arkansas for Kiffin? Arkansas might want to bid up the price and make a division opponent pay a **** ton for that.
From what I read on FootballScoop today, it sounds like Ole Miss is going to be real hard to beat.

Kiffin's a weird fit there, though. From what I've heard, the culture among top boosters and stakeholders has caused them to want a "Super Christian" type in the HC role who wears his faith on his sleeve.

From what I read on FootballScoop today, it sounds like Ole Miss is going to be real hard to beat.

Kiffin's a weird fit there, though. From what I've heard, the culture among top boosters and stakeholders has caused them to want a "Super Christian" type in the HC role who wears his faith on his sleeve.
Super Christian and Joey Freshwater, basically the same thing.

Super Christian and Joey Freshwater, basically the same thing.

Most college coaches are epic bullshitters, and frankly, there's tons of examples of Christians either falling for or looking past similar acts in the past. If they really want Kiffin, and he really wants them, I'm sure they'll both be able to get around it.

On the CSU job, FootballScoop update said that it's getting interest from some pretty solid HCs who are looking for work: Todd Graham, Jim Mora Jr, Jim Leavitt, etc. Plus some current G5 HCs who used to be P5 guys -- Butch Davis, Jeff Tedford, etc. From other sources I'd seen Mark Helfrich, too, so they probably have quite a few options.

They're getting turned down on interview requests from top P5 coordinators, though. Seems like with the pay scale on those jobs and how they get hired straight to P5 HC jobs, there's more risk than reward in them taking a G5 HC job to prove they can succeed in running a program.

CSU has an opportunity to make a good hire this year if it focuses on retreads.

Reactions: wip
On the CSU job, FootballScoop update said that it's getting interest from some pretty solid HCs who are looking for work: Todd Graham, Jim Mora Jr, Jim Leavitt, etc. Plus some current G5 HCs who used to be P5 guys -- Butch Davis, Jeff Tedford, etc. From other sources I'd seen Mark Helfrich, too, so they probably have quite a few options.

They're getting turned down on interview requests from top P5 coordinators, though. Seems like with the pay scale on those jobs and how they get hired straight to P5 HC jobs, there's more risk than reward in them taking a G5 HC job to prove they can succeed in running a program.

Todd Graham seems like a great fit there for their recruiting footprint.

Honestly the CSU gig could be the best G5 job out there and CSU could have some big seasons soon since their recruiting classes have been solid in the MWC and only Boise State consistently beats them in the recruiting rankings. Could be similar to Urban Meyer to Utah where the previous head coach recruited very well before Meyer came to town.

This hire is going to be huge for CSU football.

Yeah I don't see any reason for top P5 coordinators to even consider G5 jobs anymore. The middle and upper middle class of the P5 are looking to the top P5 coordinator pool for their openings as well.

I know a man who fits that profile...

According to Randy Karraker in St Louis, Missouri AD Sterk has recommended Blake Anderson for the job. The powers that be seem to want a bigger name.

Yeah I don't see any reason for top P5 coordinators to even consider G5 jobs anymore. The middle and upper middle class of the P5 are looking to the top P5 coordinator pool for their openings as well.
Even the elites, really. Georgia hired Kirby Smart, after all. Ohio State, Miami and Oklahoma all promoted coordinators.

I mean, does Aranda become a more attractive candidate if he wins 8 or 9 games as HC at East Carolina? I highly doubt it. But he could kill his opportunities by having a mediocre record as a G5 HC.

Even the elites, really. Georgia hired Kirby Smart, after all. Ohio State, Miami and Oklahoma all promoted coordinators.

I mean, does Aranda become a more attractive candidate if he wins 8 or 9 games as HC at East Carolina? I highly doubt it. But he could kill his opportunities by having a mediocre record as a G5 HC.
The biggest factor here is that the elites now pay their coordinators as well as or better than most or almost all G5 jobs. There is no longer a reason to go to a G5 other than the promotion in title. Which most of them know they don't even need as long as they wait a bit.

I just wonder how much money CSU has to make a hire and get a good staff

I would be surprised if Kiffin did not end up in Fayetteville. Losing their presumptive HC to Ole Miss would be a disaster for Arky.

I just wonder how much money CSU has to make a hire and get a good staff

More than people are expecting. Somewhere I saw that the buyout was only $1.82M instead of $3M. That could help with staff $$$.

From the Coloradoan:

Under terms of the separation agreement, Bobo will be paid $1.825 million in three annual installments until 2022. The first payment of $608,334 will be paid June 30, 2020. The second payment of $608,333 will be paid June 30, 2021 and the final one of $608,333 will be paid on June 30, 2022. The payments won't change regardless of future employment for Bobo.

Lane is pretty transparent about his Christianity.

Interesting article from the Banner Society that seems relevant to this thread. This stunt Kansas is attempting to save on Beatty's buyout money seems self-defeating for the next time you need to hire a coach. I can't imagine many top tier candidates would consider the job without contractual assurances that Kansas won't try to do this again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back