What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2019/20 CFB Coaching Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
My opinion, based solely on watching a lot of Ram games (I have more family member Rams to Buffs by 3:1):
  • Bobo disappointed at first as expectations were high when he took over. Those expectations were out of line because the pipeline really wasn't solid at all, that he inherited from McElwain.
  • His first DC hire was bad. He brought in Jancek in 2018 and they've shown steady improvement. Jancek has been solid.
  • His OL coach (Johnson) was also brought in for 2018. This unit has been a disaster and the plague of the offense. It's unclear to me if this is due to poor talent pipeline or bad coaching. Johnson had a track record at Ohio that is pretty good.
  • His franchise QB started as a true frosh (2016) before blowing out his ACL during that season, then again before the 2018 season and a 3rd time vs Arkansas in 2019. This certainly was a setback. He is very talented.
  • The recruiting strategy to find guys in the SEC footprint worked well considering the challenges of G5 schools.
  • Bobo's health issues in 2018 had a huge impact on everything.
I honestly thought that CSU would be a MWC contender next year with what they returned and how the staff had shaped up.

CSU screwed this up, epicly. I think they should have given Bobo another year. But if not, you got to find someone with a higher ceiling than that. I think they will see attrition, with already their best OL (Frosh who started) entering the portal.

As an aside, I expect Colin Hill to follow Bobo, likely not on a scholarship to start out. He has 1 year of eligibility but he can apply for a medical RS to get 2 if need be. I assume he will graduate as he entered school in January of 2016, and has had a lot of rehab time and 8 full semesters. He is a native of SC. Further, if I were to counsel O'Brien, who is the transfer from Nebraska who took over for Hill this year, I'd advise him to transfer or leave and try Pro Football. So they could be stuck in 2020 with no QB.

I’m glad I missed all of this yesterday and stumbled in this morning with a few pages to catch up on.

Thanks for the laughs guys, I haven’t laughed that hard in awhile.

Huh. I mean, I think Klatt has interesting takes, but I don't see how this makes any sense. What reasons did he provide to justify "home run"? If it's worth downloading the episode, I'll check it out.
Klatt said that he did a great job at Boston College. He said that BC is really tough place to win and he that he is an old school coach who gets the most out of his players. I guess we will see but I do think Klatt knows his stuff when it comes to college football.

I think Dude Lite has a higher ceiling than Bobo, not by much tho. He did take Temple to 9-4 with a bowl win when they were a part of the MAC, but they did fall back promptly the next year in the Big East (RIP). At BC which is a harder place to win (not impossible) he had winning seasons 5 of 7 seasons (bad conference record tho). Winning 7 games at BC is harder than winning 7 at CSU. He will have them consistently top 3 in their division and probably in that 8 win range. Will they win the MW with him? Who knows? I would bet no, but they'll be in the conversation year in and year out. A lot will depend on his staff and being able to recruit at the same level in the MW as they have too.

I think Dude Lite has a higher ceiling than Bobo, not by much tho. He did take Temple to 9-4 with a bowl win when they were a part of the MAC, but they did fall back promptly the next year in the Big East (RIP). At BC which is a harder place to win (not impossible) he had winning seasons 5 of 7 seasons (bad conference record tho). Winning 7 games at BC is harder than winning 7 at CSU. He will have them consistently top 3 in their division and probably in that 8 win range. Will they win the MW with him? Who knows? I would bet no, but they'll be in the conversation year in and year out. A lot will depend on his staff and being able to recruit at the same level in the MW as they have too.

One thing to keep in mind is their future non-conference schedules get a lot harder going forward, so not sure hiring the guy who struggled in a P5 conference is the right answer.

One thing to keep in mind is their future non-conference schedules get a lot harder going forward, so not sure hiring the guy who struggled in a P5 conference is the right answer.
That's a fair point. If they can get up for those games like they did us as their super bowl they'll steal their fair share. It's still not hard to win conference games in the MW.

My opinion, based solely on watching a lot of Ram games (I have more family member Rams to Buffs by 3:1):
  • Bobo disappointed at first as expectations were high when he took over. Those expectations were out of line because the pipeline really wasn't solid at all, that he inherited from McElwain.
  • His first DC hire was bad. He brought in Jancek in 2018 and they've shown steady improvement. Jancek has been solid.
  • His OL coach (Johnson) was also brought in for 2018. This unit has been a disaster and the plague of the offense. It's unclear to me if this is due to poor talent pipeline or bad coaching. Johnson had a track record at Ohio that is pretty good.
  • His franchise QB started as a true frosh (2016) before blowing out his ACL during that season, then again before the 2018 season and a 3rd time vs Arkansas in 2019. This certainly was a setback. He is very talented.
  • The recruiting strategy to find guys in the SEC footprint worked well considering the challenges of G5 schools.
  • Bobo's health issues in 2018 had a huge impact on everything.
I honestly thought that CSU would be a MWC contender next year with what they returned and how the staff had shaped up.

CSU screwed this up, epicly. I think they should have given Bobo another year. But if not, you got to find someone with a higher ceiling than that. I think they will see attrition, with already their best OL (Frosh who started) entering the portal.

As an aside, I expect Colin Hill to follow Bobo, likely not on a scholarship to start out. He has 1 year of eligibility but he can apply for a medical RS to get 2 if need be. I assume he will graduate as he entered school in January of 2016, and has had a lot of rehab time and 8 full semesters. He is a native of SC. Further, if I were to counsel O'Brien, who is the transfer from ****braska who took over for Hill this year, I'd advise him to transfer or leave and try Pro Football. So they could be stuck in 2020 with no QB.

They had to fire Bobo-that fanbase has been at a very low point here for the last few months. They expected to get blown out by us, and attendance has steadily plummeted (and hit a new low in their home finale against Boise) the last couple years. They had to go retread. Hot P5 coordinators like Sparkles was when he took that gig aren't going to look at it right now. They don't have to prove themselves in the Group of 5. They just picked the wrong retread.

Klatt said that he did a great job at Boston College. He said that BC is really tough place to win and he that he is an old school coach who gets the most out of his players. I guess we will see but I do think Klatt knows his stuff when it comes to college football.
He did a pretty good job at BC considering it is an under-funded program with minimal administrative support and a tough recruiting spot. He’s a stubborn, no-nonsense guy that developed a few players and sent numerous to the pros. His skill position players were perpetually under-talented with a few exceptions (Dillon) along the way. It was his way or the highway. Like many of these new hires, it will depend on his staff. There are numerous decent openings in G5 this year. I expect this will be one if the better hires among this group.

He did a pretty good job at BC considering it is an under-funded program with minimal administrative support and a tough recruiting spot. He’s a stubborn, no-nonsense guy that developed a few players and sent numerous to the pros. His skill position players were perpetually under-talented with a few exceptions (Dillon) along the way. It was his way or the highway. Like many of these new hires, it will depend on his staff. There are numerous decent openings in G5 this year. I expect this will be one if the better hires among this group.

Difficult guy to work for so most get out whenever they can. His rumored treatment of Matt Rhule is cringeworthy.

The one thing that I think was correct in the CSU decision to hire Addazio is that he will get them back to playing the style of football that fits their program. He will get them back to being a team that runs the ball and plays defense instead of being a finesse team. I don't expect him to win like McElwain did --more like Bobo's first few years -- but I think it's a good thing for the Rams that they got back to being true to their DNA.

What's tough about being on of only two BCS programs east of the Hudson? Beating out Connecticut for players?

The one thing that I think was correct in the CSU decision to hire Addazio is that he will get them back to playing the style of football that fits their program. He will get them back to being a team that runs the ball and plays defense instead of being a finesse team. I don't expect him to win like McElwain did --more like Bobo's first few years -- but I think it's a good thing for the Rams that they got back to being true to their DNA.
Yeah it seems like the style they wanted was correct, just the follow through wasn't. Should have got a guy with Texas connections that could have got those overlooked kids down there with some size and developed them into a physical team. We all know Texans love Colorado.

Will be interesting to see how Addazio fills out his staff. It seems like he is a complete dick to all of his staff and I would imagine he will be bringing in retreads who haven't had a lot of success or extremely young coordinators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back