What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2019/20 CFB Coaching Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
THat is just based on numbers, Oregon has the better class, did last year as well and they are still supposed to land a couple big time targets on the second signing day.
Fair. But I think large part of that is how highly ranked Flowe is. I think the classes are relatively equal but if Oregon lands some big ones in February then it’s over

Fair. But I think large part of that is how highly ranked Flowe is. I think the classes are relatively equal but if Oregon lands some big ones in February then it’s over
Yeah but that is sort of the difference between the two right? Oregon brought in two 5 star players which is a clear differentiator, imo. That is what makes their average of 89.51 that much better than Washington's of 88.75. It is not like they are getting beat horribly by Oregon but those high caliber players will make a difference when they play and I don't see any reason why Washington wasn't able to land those types the last couple of years.

A couple of things could hurt them.
1. First time head coach: I really like Lake but it wouldn't shock anyone if he had some hiccups during his first couple of years.
2. Oregon: If they keep recruiting at the level they are, and with the resources they have it could be tough to compete with.
3. USC: what if USC hires a competent coach next off season who takes back So Cal from Oregon and Washington recruiting wise.

Imo we will see uw start the decline. It's their turn.

Disagree. If somebody declines, its Oregon. Mario Cristobal is the Mack Brown of the Pac 12-he and staff can recruit their asses off, but they find a way to inexplicably lay at least one egg a year. They went to Tucson last year and got absolutely housed. This year, they lost at ASU with the whole country watching and a CFP bid on the line. Uncle Phil and the boosters with Nike ties up there are eventually going to want championships-and he's not going to be able to provide that for them IMO.

I'll say this on Lake-I really liked him as a potential HC here last year after RG put the F in FHCMM, and I'm interested to watch UW with him in charge. A lot of questions there-but he spent the last number of years learning from one of the best in this business in this part of the country in Chris Petersen. Not shocked by him moving on from Hamdan-he's going to want a splashy OC.

1. First time head coach: I really like Lake but it wouldn't shock anyone if he had some hiccups during his first couple of years.
2. Oregon: If they keep recruiting at the level they are, and with the resources they have it could be tough to compete with.
3. USC: what if USC hires a competent coach next off season who takes back So Cal from Oregon and Washington recruiting wise.

Let me respond to 2 and 3-Herbert is gone. I don't know much about what the Ducks have in back of him, so I'd say they could take a step back too next year. USC? Who the hell knows what's going to happen there? The one thing Mike Bohn has shown both here and now there is he doesn't understand the positives that successful football brings to an AD as a whole. Something tells me he's not going to last long at USC.

I don’t see a huge drop off from UW. I’m glad we got that monkey off our back this year because they will be tough for a long time, IMO.

UO is a paper tiger, IMO. Even paper tigers can bite.

Fair. UW and Oregon gonna be fun to watch.

I just feel everyone is underestimating what a great coach and motivator HCCP really was. There will be a drop off in coaching experience, can't argue that. The learning curve HCJL will be on combined with losing experienced coaches on the staff (sure they aren't done yet) will obviously effect + a new O identity will be put in place now.
I just feel we will see a slow decline starting 2020.

I just feel everyone is underestimating what a great coach and motivator HCCP really was. There will be a drop off in coaching experience, can't argue that. The learning curve HCJL will be on combined with losing experienced coaches on the staff (sure they aren't done yet) will obviously effect + a new O identity will be put in place now.
I just feel we will see a slow decline starting 2020.
Is spelling Chris Peterson and Jimmy Lake that difficult for you?

4. Re-emergence of Colorado as a national power.

Texas is one of the best jobs in the sport, if not the best. If Mack Brown came to Boulder and had the type of success at CU he had at Texas, he goes down as one of the greatest coaches in our history. He underachieved at Texas-especially given the way he recruited. His UT teams played in the Cotton, Holiday, or Alamo Bowl 11 times in 15 years, and played in 4 BCS games. In Austin, that's not good enough.

Texas is one of the best jobs in the sport, if not the best. If Mack Brown came to Boulder and had the type of success at CU he had at Texas, he goes down as one of the greatest coaches in our history. He underachieved at Texas-especially given the way he recruited. His UT teams played in the Cotton, Holiday, or Alamo Bowl 11 times in 15 years, and played in 4 BCS games. In Austin, that's not good enough.

He is undoubtedly the second best coach at Texas all time. Your expectations for the job exist because he elevated them.

He is undoubtedly the second best coach at Texas all time. Your expectations for the job exist because he elevated them.

They were that high when I was living down there and having to pay attention to them because they were all over the DFW papers in the 90s. Guys like McWilliams and Mackovic were absolute disasters.

Any thoughts on who UW ends up with at OC? Potentially a very big hire that could have implications for CU for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back