What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2019/20 CFB Coaching Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it will be funny when Fulmer is able to hire another coach this winter after he messed up the search so bad last time.

Would love to see Kyle Whittingham get plucked out of the Pac12.
This. By most accounts, the guy is a total asshole, but he just keeps winning. Gotta think that UU would have a hard time replacing him.

Is Utah a good job?
It’s not terrible. I’d suspect for most Utah folks, the premier job in Utah is still BYU, though. They’ve done well there with Meyer and Whittingham, but you pretty much have to hit a home run with any coach you hire at Utah. Too many things to overcome.

It’s not terrible. I’d suspect for most Utah folks, the premier job in Utah is still BYU, though. They’ve done well there with Meyer and Whittingham, but you pretty much have to hit a home run with any coach you hire at Utah. Too many things to overcome.
Yeah, I'm just wondering if it's a job that would attract a really good candidate if it came open? Obviously has decent recruiting ground if you can connect with the Poly community, but outside of that, it seems like a bottom third Pac 12 job with Arizona, Oregon State and Washington State

Bobo? Why?

I’m curious as to what you think he would add to our staff that we do t already have.

In an off field consultant/analyst type of role while he's living off that Rammie buyout money? Why do you not do it if he gets fired up there and doesn't want to move (he's got a pretty young family IIRC-so that's not that far-fetched)? He's a pretty good offensive mind, and he's got a good feel for our personnel because he's gone up against us for years. We get his knowledge and perspective and he gets to stay in the game while making sure he gets healthy enough to take another coordinator job down the road.

In an off field consultant/analyst type of role while he's living off that Rammie buyout money? Why do you not do it if he gets fired up there and doesn't want to move (he's got a pretty young family IIRC-so that's not that far-fetched)? He's a pretty good offensive mind, and he's got a good feel for our personnel because he's gone up against us for years. We get his knowledge and perspective and he gets to stay in the game while making sure he gets healthy enough to take another coordinator job down the road.
Why do you value his knowledge and perspective so much?

I just don’t see it. He’s been entirely average the whole time he’s been there and by most accounts, wasn’t even that great when he was on the UGA staff.

There are a lot of other guys who are in danger of losing their jobs this year that I’d take before Bobo.

Yeah, I'm just wondering if it's a job that would attract a really good candidate if it came open? Obviously has decent recruiting ground if you can connect with the Poly community, but outside of that, it seems like a bottom third Pac 12 job with Arizona, Oregon State and Washington State
UU has done a good job of hiring young coaches that go on to be great coaches. That’s their blueprint for success. I would expect them to follow that playbook if the situation presents itself.

UU has done a good job of hiring young coaches that go on to be great coaches. That’s their blueprint for success. I would expect them to follow that playbook if the situation presents itself.
That's been their blueprint for success in the past, but they are an established, successful P5 program now. That changes the candidate pool substantially, but just how much is TBD. Would they really stay in-house again if Wittingham left? Would a top coordinator view Utah as a great landing spot ala Tucker and CU?

That's been their blueprint for success in the past, but they are an established, successful P5 program now. That changes the candidate pool substantially, but just how much is TBD. Would they really stay in-house again if Wittingham left? Would a top coordinator view Utah as a great landing spot ala Tucker and CU?
Illinois is also an established P5 program. There are lots of established P5 programs that still have a hard time hiring good coaches. I think UU is a lot better off than, say Illinois or Arkansas, at least in terms of recent success. But if Tennessee, Illinois, South Carolina, USC, Michigan and Utah are all hiring coaches, UU picks last in that group.

Disagree with you here-Two reasons: First, Utah's the one in the P5 conference. Next, BYU may have their own deal with ESPN-but would you want to deal with their academic standards when you don't have to at Utah? How about the fact that you don't necessarily have to recruit kids for 2-3 years down the road by going into Texas and California for talent? Its far easier to recruit to Utah.

Disagree with you here-Two reasons: First, Utah's the one in the P5 conference. Next, BYU may have their own deal with ESPN-but would you want to deal with their academic standards when you don't have to at Utah? How about the fact that you don't necessarily have to recruit kids for 2-3 years down the road by going into Texas and California for talent? Its far easier to recruit to Utah.
“Academic standards”? At BYU, that translates to “can he fog a mirror and play football?”

This idea that BYU is some kind of academic powerhouse is amusing.

I’ll agree with you on the P5 status at Utah. That helps. But as I mentioned, it also means you’re swimming in a different pond.

Illinois is also an established P5 program. There are lots of established P5 programs that still have a hard time hiring good coaches. I think UU is a lot better off than, say Illinois or Arkansas, at least in terms of recent success. But if Tennessee, Illinois, South Carolina, USC, Michigan and Utah are all hiring coaches, UU picks last in that group.

Wrong again-Utah's more attractive than Tennessee (too much drama-I read an article today about some conspiracy that Fulmer has going to anoint himself HC after they get down with Alabama and Georgia), Illinois (they need a Mike MacIntyre type at this point), and South Carolina's 2nd fiddle in that state right now (they play Clemson every year-Clemson's won five in a row).

Utah would be able to pull a hot coordinator or a top G5 coach easy. The question would become can they hire someone who would want to stay?

Wrong again-Utah's more attractive than Tennessee (too much drama-I read an article today about some conspiracy that Fulmer has going to anoint himself HC after they get down with Alabama and Georgia), Illinois (they need a Mike MacIntyre type at this point), and South Carolina's 2nd fiddle in that state right now (they play Clemson every year-Clemson's won five in a row).
Utah is a more attractive job than Tennessee?

giphy.gif

“Academic standards”? At BYU, that translates to “can he fog a mirror and play football?”

This idea that BYU is some kind of academic powerhouse is amusing.

I’ll agree with you on the P5 status at Utah. That helps. But as I mentioned, it also means you’re swimming in a different pond.

Let me just leave this here-Whittingham had head coach offers from both BYU and Utah in 2004. He could have gotten an offer from BYU had he wanted one when Bronco Mendenhall left Provo for Virginia after the 2015 season (got a contract extension in January 2016). Why do you think he's still coaching at Utah? Simple: Its a better job than BYU.

Why do you value his knowledge and perspective so much?

I just don’t see it. He’s been entirely average the whole time he’s been there and by most accounts, wasn’t even that great when he was on the UGA staff.

There are a lot of other guys who are in danger of losing their jobs this year that I’d take before Bobo.

Are you even understanding the argument I'm trying to make here?

Utah has awesome facilities, a top 3rd fanbase in the conference, quite a bit of local talent to draw from and easier admission standards than most of the conference. Very solid job but you almost have to have ties to the area in order to be successful.

Let me just leave this here-Whittingham had head coach offers from both BYU and Utah in 2004. He could have gotten an offer from BYU had he wanted one when Bronco Mendenhall left Provo for Virginia after the 2015 season (got a contract extension in January 2016). Why do you think he's still coaching at Utah? Simple: Its a better job than BYU.
Sure. A better job for him. My point was that if you ask most people in Utah, they’d tell you BYU is the better program, regardless of recent success.

Sure. A better job for him. My point was that if you ask most people in Utah, they’d tell you BYU is the better program, regardless of recent success.

Kind of like how most Nebraskans would tell you Fusker is a better program than Colorado even though we've beaten them two years in a row? Here's the thing with sports-its all about what have you done for me lately. Utah is going to bowls yearly and has won at least 9 games three of the last four seasons (not to mention beating BYU consistently). BYU is struggling to stay relevant.

Utah has awesome facilities, a top 3rd fanbase in the conference, quite a bit of local talent to draw from and easier admission standards than most of the conference. Very solid job but you almost have to have ties to the area in order to be successful.
It's better than Arizona, Oregon State and Washington State for sure, and it's not better than USC, Oregon, UCLA or Washington.

I don't think it's better than ASU or Cal, but I am willing to be educated on that.

It's probably better than Stanford, due to furd's uniqueness, although David Shaw or any successful Stanford coach would never leave for Utah.

Is it better than CU? It's certainly in better shape at the moment than CU, but I don't know if it's a better overall job than CU. Definitely better natural recruiting grounds if you have ties to the area and Poly community, so maybe that gives them the edge?

Are you even understanding the argument I'm trying to make here?
No. I don’t understand it at all. As far as I can tell, you want to hire Bobo just because he will be available. I don’t see the value he would bring.

No one has cared about Utah on an national level since Alex Smith was there and Keith Van Horn, who I believe is still being paid by the Nets, before that.

Do they still not let you have a drink unless you "join" the restaurant?

CU doesn't have the budget for an above average assistant coaching staff or advanced recruiting/scouting staff, let alone being a "rehab" destination for failed head coaches.

It's better than Arizona, Oregon State and Washington State for sure, and it's not better than USC, Oregon, UCLA or Washington.

I don't think it's better than ASU or Cal, but I am willing to be educated on that.

It's probably better than Stanford, due to furd's uniqueness, although David Shaw or any successful Stanford coach would never leave for Utah.

Is it better than CU? It's certainly in better shape at the moment than CU, but I don't know if it's a better overall job than CU. Definitely better natural recruiting grounds if you have ties to the area and Poly community, so maybe that gives them the edge?
Stanford is an enigma. Unlimited resources, nearly zero fan expectations, tough academic standards and ridiculously high cost of living. Shaw could go 6-6 every year and keep his job for 20 years so long as he manages to beat Cal every once in a while.

Is that a better job than Utah? I really don’t know. Maybe. You’re right that Shaw would never leave to go to Utah. I’m not convinced Shaw will ever leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back