What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2022 Fall Camp Thread

Did you pay attention at all last year? Rice was a leader in keeping the tram and coaches vision intact- despite Dorrell being an incompetent f....
Before you say he was selfish or lacking leadership and a quality teammate, spend 5 minutes googling his communications on social media and with the media during a difficult 2021 season. Rice was the one throwing up the duece duece sign when players left and was often quoted as saying "stay the course".
It wasn't until Dorrell hired one of the worst OC's to replace the worst OC that Rice tapped out and also could not get NIL deals of any relevance.
Rice didn't hire mediocrity, nor did he sit on the sidelines and watch schools offer players $ while CU did nothing. He was a by stander and did what was best for him, after giving his all to CU. It may have not been the optimal move, but staying at CU under Dorrell is a shi... option to be stuck with.
Your vitriol about Dorrell is understandable.

Rice saying I ain't getting paid, and unlike the rest of my teammates who I can easily ditch for me to get better coaching and $ is understandable.

Neither are arguments he's an excellent teammate.

I went to the kickoff luncheon last year. KD told the assembled crowd this was a good team that was going to surprise people.

I will never believe anything he ever says again.
I was surprised by a number of things last season.

Also, I don't think you can really hold those remarks against him. What was he supposed to say?

Also, I don't think you can really hold those remarks against him. What was he supposed to say?
I’m not so much holding his remarks against him but pointing out that his remarks this year are easily discredited based on him saying almost the exact same thing last year. I get that he has to try to put a positive spin on things, but this is the same spin I heard last year. Therefore I’m expecting the same results as last year. Or worse.

We’re young. Without P5 depth. Our recruiting lags. I know it. I understand it. I’m on top of it. That’s all I’m gonna say about these topics the rest of the year. We’re gonna get this thing right.

We’re young. Without P5 depth. Our recruiting lags. I know it. I understand it. I’m on top of it. That’s all I’m gonna say about these topics the rest of the year. We’re gonna get this thing right.
How would his current team feel about that message? I know this is what fans want to hear to justify their outrage but it would be a terrible message to send a month before your season starts.

How would his current team feel about that message? I know this is what fans want to hear to justify their outrage but it would be a terrible message to send a month before your season starts.
It was appropriate for last year (frame of the question). I agree, you can’t get by with this is year 3.

AB is definitely negative about the team and program. Not anywhere close to the usual sunshine that comes during camp.

But I've been on 247 to read Adam's camp updates and it's weird. He's tempered and even apologized in advance for what he knew would be a lot of super positive spin he'd be reporting. I'm more than cool with that. However, the reaction posts to those camp reports may have given me a sunburn 🥵

I think where I'm at is that I don't believe we have a good team but we have a potentially competitive team which, if there's good chemistry among players and with the staff on the same page, could make this season's results similar to 2019.

My hope is that stability matters. 2020 was a 3rd HC in 3 years. 2021 was so much broken on the offensive side. 2022 is year 3 for KD and it's fully his organization with people he chose & players who are committed to his program (or at least finishing strong in their Buff careers). We should see a big improvement unless KD is simply the wrong guy to rebuild CU back to respectability.

seems like of the CU boards, allbuffs is definitely the jaded angry pessimistic board

buffstampede has generally been the overly positive, sunshine pumping, optimism board. At least until nearing the end of another non-bowl season, then the maximus types of the world take a weird 180 turn and act like they weren't just slanging sunshine by the brick mere weeks prior

at least that was my perception a few years ago when I had a sub

It was appropriate for last year (frame of the question). I agree, you can’t get by with this is year 3.
Saying that publicly is not appropriate in any year. Brett B said that about his team at Illinois and was crushed for it. Scott Frost has said it every year at Nebraska. Crushed nationally and has become a punch line. That’s not a message a coach worth his salt says publicly because it deflects blame and accountability on everyone else except himself.

Most of the best college coaches say their team sucks in preseason in my experience, but they have winning teams. I’m not sure that approach works well with a young team in a program that hasn’t won much in 20 years.

Most of the best college coaches say their team sucks in preseason in my experience, but they have winning teams. I’m not sure that approach works well with a young team in a program that hasn’t won much in 20 years.
That’s an entirely different context though, as you kind of noted. It’s really easy for Saban or Kirby or Ryan Day to downplay potential National Championship teams loaded with multiple 1st rounders, in the name of motivation and/or keeping bulletin board material to a minimum. Karl Dorrell telling the media that his CU program, that hasn’t recruited better than 35th nationally in like 15 years, are dog**** and the vast majority of his roster should be playing at a lower level isn’t appropriate no matter how badly fans want to hear that acknowledgment.

That’s an entirely different context though, as you kind of noted. It’s really easy for Saban or Kirby or Ryan Day to downplay potential National Championship teams loaded with multiple 1st rounders, in the name of motivation and/or keeping bulletin board material to a minimum. Karl Dorrell telling the media that his CU program, that hasn’t recruited better than 35th nationally in like 15 years, are dog**** and the vast majority of his roster should be playing at a lower level isn’t appropriate no matter how badly fans want to hear that acknowledgment.
I agree.

Correct.

But in the end it doesn't matter. The team isn't very good, the veteran players are smart enough to know it and the young players can pick that up from them.

The head coach no matter what he says to the press doesn't inspire the players to play a level above their talent which means that no matter what he says to the media at the end of year this team won't have won many games.

Correct.

But in the end it doesn't matter. The team isn't very good, the veteran players are smart enough to know it and the young players can pick that up from them.

The head coach no matter what he says to the press doesn't inspire the players to play a level above their talent which means that no matter what he says to the media at the end of year this team won't have won many games.
And it is up to Karl Dorrell to change the narrative around him and the program. I’m just saying preseason talk is irrelevant.

Btw, he did acknowledge to the media that he speaks to his coaches and his team about how irrelevant Colorado football has been for a long time.

Sometimes it feels like AllBuffs thinks everyone in Boulder believes CU football has been a solid program over the last 15 years. These people aren’t dumb. Some may know how to recruit and win better than others, but Karl Dorrell isn’t an idiot when it comes to what this program is or has been.

Last edited:
And it is up to Karl Dorrell to change the narrative around him and the program. I’m just saying preseason talk is irrelevant.

Btw, he did acknowledge to the media that he speaks to his coaches and his team about how irrelevant Colorado football has been for a long time.

Sometimes it feels like AllBuffs thinks everyone in Boulder believes CU football has been a solid program over the last 15 years. These people aren’t dumb. Some may know how to recruit and win better than others, but Karl Dorrell isn’t an idiot when it comes to what this program is or has been.
Dorrell has been in this game for a long time and he isn't dumb. He knows what we are.

I just have big reservations about the idea that he might be the person to turn it around, and honestly I haven't seen much from him that says the believes that either.

I think I feel pretty good about the starting unit, assuming Barnes takes a big step forward from last year. Like always I don't think there's any depth behind them.
Thing is with LB this year is I have no idea how they intend to play them. Supposed to be more 4 man fronts with a switch to a more traditional 4-3 look. Either way, I expect Chandler-Semedo and Barnes to be the primary off ball LBs with Perry rotating. Behind them, sounds like Ham and Mister Williams. I don’t think it’s the worst depth chart at ILB that CU has had, but yeah, we’ll need Barnes and Semedo to JCS to stay healthy.

Thing is with LB this year is I have no idea how they intend to play them. Supposed to be more 4 man fronts with a switch to a more traditional 4-3 look. Either way, I expect Chandler-Semedo and Barnes to be the primary off ball LBs with Perry rotating. Behind them, sounds like Ham and Mister Williams. I don’t think it’s the worst depth chart at ILB that CU has had, but yeah, we’ll need Barnes and Semedo to JCS to stay healthy.
Has Mister Williams seen the field?

Did you catch his remarks on forgetting to talk to his players individually after last season. The guy IS an idot.

Dorrell has been in this game for a long time and he isn't dumb. He knows what we are.

I just have big reservations about the idea that he might be the person to turn it around, and honestly I haven't seen much from him that says the believes that either.
Besides cashing his pay check every month

The problem is the guys in the different color uniform also want to hit someone. Everyone we play is going to hit us harder.

View attachment 53251

Just sayin'

buster-buster-douglas.gif

Back