What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2023-24 MBB Season Thread

Hi all,
can we confirm that the roster 2023-24 is this?

Cody Williams FR
Courtney Anderson FR
Assane Diop FR
RJ Smith FR
Joe Hurlburt SO
Javon Ruffin SO
KJ Simpson JR
Julian Hammond JR
Eddie Lampkin JR
J'Vonne Hadley SR
Luke O'Brien SR
Tristan DaSilva SR

Starting five?
Simpson; Hammond; C.Williams; Da Silva; Lampkin

Rotation?
Ruffin; Smith; O’Brien; Hadley; Diop

Last bench?
Anderson; Hulburt
Four of the starting five should be pretty locked in.

O'brien and Hadley will be solid contributors.

Ruffin is good when he plays but who knows when he'll be healthy.

Hammond seems limited but maybe he will build off his end of season performance.

I don't think anyone knows what we have in Smith, Hurlburt, Diop, and Anderson.

Also, Hurlburt is a rs-fr.

Hi all,
can we confirm that the roster 2023-24 is this?

Cody Williams FR
Courtney Anderson FR
Assane Diop FR
RJ Smith FR
Joe Hurlburt SO
Javon Ruffin SO
KJ Simpson JR
Julian Hammond JR
Eddie Lampkin JR
J'Vonne Hadley SR
Luke O'Brien SR
Tristan DaSilva SR

Starting five?
Simpson; Hammond; C.Williams; Da Silva; Lampkin

Rotation?
Ruffin; Smith; O’Brien; Hadley; Diop

Last bench?
Anderson; Hulburt
LOB or Hadley start over Hammond.
Anderson redshirts.
Ruffin's health is 50/50.
We need another scholarship player (scorer) who pushes to start if we want to win more than 19 games next year.

Not that I disagree, but the expectations for Hurlburt seem to have come down a lot for such a high profile recruit.
At this time last year, I'd have expected him to contribute as a True Frosh and be a signifcant contributor in year 2.
I have zero expectations now, based on nothing but crickets.

Not that I disagree, but the expectations for Hurlburt seem to have come down a lot for such a high profile recruit.
At this time last year, I'd have expected him to contribute as a True Frosh and be a signifcant contributor in year 2.
I have zero expectations now, based on nothing but crickets.
We do that every time a guy redshirts or struggles to show consistency as a freshman. I think a year of practicing with Lawson guarding him was great for his development. Hopefully he's in the weight room, because I think defense and rebounding are where he's got a lot of improvement to make at this level (beyond the speed of the game, more complex assignments, athleticism and quick hands a big faces on this level that are night & day different from HS).

We do that every time a guy redshirts or struggles to show consistency as a freshman. I think a year of practicing with Lawson guarding him was great for his development. Hopefully he's in the weight room, because I think defense and rebounding are where he's got a lot of improvement to make at this level (beyond the speed of the game, more complex assignments, athleticism and quick hands a big faces on this level that are night & day different from HS).
Da Lama's ****ty Hot take for 2023-2024: A healthy Diop pushes Hurlburt. Two different levels of athleticism and competitive background.

Da Lama's ****ty Hot take for 2023-2024: A healthy Diop pushes Hurlburt. Two different levels of athleticism and competitive background.
I hope so. Competition and a rotation with effective players bringing different skill sets would be ideal. We've got the offensive weapons to dictate a lot this year, but flexibility for matchups after TDS-KJ-Cody is going to determine some of this team's potential.

LOB or Hadley start over Hammond.
Anderson redshirts.
Ruffin's health is 50/50.
We need another scholarship player (scorer) who pushes to start if we want to win more than 19 games next year.

Disagree. I hope we sign an upperclassman who can shoot. If we don't, I still see a 20+ win team. That's sort of counting on Ruffin playing and Hadley upping his game a bit.

Until I see a quote to Rooney in the Camera saying something to the effect of "we're keeping our options open, but, for now, we're heading into the Fall with 12", I still assume they're actively pursuing players for the final scholly.

Still, I said in March I thought they'd bank it since they couldn't get Knecht or similar, and I still think that. Not much point in bringing in someone unless you actually plan to give them significant playing time.
*taps sign* https://www.buffzone.com/2023/05/05...-with-open-slot-for-cu-buffs-mens-basketball/

Tell Me More Jeff Goldblum GIF by National Geographic Channel

Good player, but is he the right fit for Tad?
Record numbers of players in the portal and apparently only like 3 guys have been the right fit. Some really good guards just like Pullin…but we didn’t even offer them…not the right fit! Tad is being patient and selective…waiting for the next Ethan Wright or Jalen Gabbidon to appear.

Good player, but is he the right fit for Tad?
Record numbers of players in the portal and apparently only like 3 guys have been the right fit. Some really good guards just like Pullin…but we didn’t even offer them…not the right fit! Tad is being patient and selective…waiting for the next Ethan Wright or Jalen Gabbidon to appear.

Tell me who you think we could have gotten, then I'll tell you if we had the money.

I'm surprised and a bit upset we haven't gotten a wing replacement for Clifford yet. The fit to me would be a 6ft6 3 and D sharpshooter. We probably only have Cody for 1 year, so I thought Tad would pull out all the stops to get another big time, impact player, to make a real tourney run. There's still some talent in the portal and Tad needs to make it happen.

I'm surprised and a bit upset we haven't gotten a wing replacement for Clifford yet. The fit to me would be a 6ft6 3 and D sharpshooter. We probably only have Cody for 1 year, so I thought Tad would pull out all the stops to get another big time, impact player, to make a real tourney run. There's still some talent in the portal and Tad needs to make it happen.
Challenge there is that every team in CBB and every NBA scout is putting a premium on the type of guy you describe - basically a pre-injury Klay Thompson. But, yeah.

Pretty much every top guy in the portal is getting a bag, and it's pretty clear the basketball program isn't being given any of the NIL pie.

We were a few 100k short of even getting in the bidding for Graham Ike.

Pretty much every top guy in the portal is getting a bag, and it's pretty clear the basketball program isn't being given any of the NIL pie.

We were a few 100k short of even getting in the bidding for Graham Ike.
Hence is why I'm a bit upset. Players like Cody don't come around here often. We needed to go big IMO.

Is it Tad doesn't agree with getting into NIL wars? Does CU not have the NIL money? Cody is getting some sort of bag you gotta think. Feels like CU could get 50k to 150k for NIL pretty easily. Just frustrating that we haven't landed another impact player and we could waste the only year we have with Cody. That's all.

Last edited:
Hence is why I'm a bit upset. Players like Cody don't come around here often. We needed to go big IMO.

Is it Tad doesn't agree with getting into NIL wars? Does CU not have the NIL money? Cody is getting some sort of bag you gotta think. Feels like CU could get 50k to 150k for NIL pretty easily. Just frustrating that we haven't landed another impact player and we could waste the only year we have with Cody. That's all.
100% agree. It's so frustrating that we have a team that has the potential to be great. The potential to be the best CU team ever and we have an open spot for a starter to step into and we can't close the deal on anyone. If I were Tad, I would take some of my salary and make sure I got the player I wanted. It feels like this year is a make it or break it year. Another miss like last year and Tad's seat will start getting warm, but get to the Sweet 16 or further and the momentum builds.

Y'all think that just maybe Tad spent his NIL budget on Williams?
Ha, possible!!! But I think there were options in the portal that could have improved the team for a smaller NIL number. After the top 20 transfer portal players, the NIL values should have decreased exponentially to where we'd have a shot for an impact guy. But who really knows...

Back