What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Arizona State Game Thread

I'm not renewing my subscription to sling. I'll catch the games if they happen to be on ESPN U or fs1 or something. I'll probably pick it back up once basketball season starts.
fwiw, the main reason I subscribed to Sling is that I watch a ton of basketball and the vast majority of college games are on the various conference networks.

CU cannot win against most teams with Lewis as a QB. If the other team knows you cannot pass, they will make it difficult to run the ball. I am not sure that Lewis will ever develop at the College level, he seem to not understand progressions and throwing the ball when the receiver is coming out of his break. The reason the receivers are covered is because he is late with his throws.

Lot of problems with this team. It seems like years of poor recruiting is starting to show through.

It is heartbreaking, firing everyone will also cause some short term setback over the next few years. I think RG was on the right path with Tucker but his leaving after one season was a death knell for that path. Catering to Chiaverini has been a problem for awhile.

Again, as much as people want to **** on Noyer, I think he had a better presence in the huddle as a leader and could fire people up. There is literally no one offense who does that this year. Additionally, he had better football knowledge and I think he was able to see that either a certain play wasn’t going to work or recognize it breaking down and be able to extend it, gain some yards, and keep drives moving rather than just step into a collapsing pocket and take sack after sack. Probably to his own detriment (see shoulder surgery), but that ****er had grit and made some things happen. Thumbs down all you want, but that’s how I see it.
Noyer >>> Lewis. @manhattanbuff

This is false. The defense looked like garbage. As I commented in this very thread, the book is out on CU’s defense: we have zero linebackers who can cover in the pass game. ASU abused them all game.

The offense also got abused. The blindside pass pro is horrible. At least they tried to do things to better emphasize Lewis’ strengths. It didn’t work but they made a concerted effort. Biggest problem in the passing game continues to be passpro.

Special teams was … fine. One blocked FG was fugly.

Y’all gotta stop with the business with the defense being amazing. It is not. We have a few good individual players who have some decent skills. As a unit, in the last two games, they’ve gotten roasted for 876 yards and 65 points. They had one good game against a bad aTm quarterback. Once Jimbo finally could get his OL to block our pressure, it was nighty night when we had Guy Thomas in coverage. It’s snowballed ever since.
Defense hasnt forced very many turnovers.

Sigh. Well, a few thoughts. I got to CU in the mid1980s and we had been bad for a while. The late 1960s/early 1970s had been really good, then we fell on hard times again. By the time I left in 1989 things had turned around and football was awesome (for the most part) until the decline really began after the glory that was 62-36 (which seemed to have mortally wounded both programs). Since then I have been eagerly awaiting the next rise in our fortunes.

Let's talk IFs: People here blame Rick George, but had Tucker stayed I think we would be seeing George in a different light. That was a good hire I thought and things were looking up. We can blame George for not foreseeing that he might lose his new coach so quickly, but I think it was a good (potentially trnasformative) hire. Then the IFs connected to the JT Strout injury. Strout may have sucked (I don't know), but HAVING to play the freshman QB and having no real other option after Noyer transferred took out the traditional hope that if the starting QB began flailing, the savor may be as close as the bench. We KNOW we are stuck with the starting QB, and if he can't run the offense (yet?) we find ourselves quickly in the resignation stage of grief. There is no backup that we can even pretend can come in and right the ship.

But I know some of the CU bigwigs. I watched the pain George was in during and after the Minnesota debacle ( I mean, everyone in the room is staring at him...and he knows it. He feels the pressure). He's been a very successful guy and knows this impacts his long term reputation. The only way to rescue that is to somehow fix this. I don't know about Dorrell except to say that we can assume he's 1000% in as well (because he likely won't get another head coaching job if he fails here). So I disagree with those who somehow thing the higher ups are ok with this. I think they are borderline desperate to fix this at this point. I am not sure they quite know how to navigate the new college realities of transfer portals and NILs (etc) but desire and a sense of urgency are not their issues.

Chiv will go I think, and should (when is the question). My fear is a lot of what talent we DO have may exit too. Before the double-edged sword that is the transfer portal we might have had more time/leeway to figure this out and build up the talent pool, but now momentum can capsize a program faster than ever.

My wife's family all went to Oregon State and Washington State. They keep telling me this is my new(er) reality (like theirs) and that you learn to live for the unexpectedly good years and resign yourself to the inevitable bad years (which make up your norm). Well, even after two decades, I am not there yet. But I also think that the powers-that-be are trying harder to right this ship than many here think. It's a huge amount of money and some big ego reputations on the line. Had Mel stayed I think we might be seeing things in a more hopeful light. It is what it is of course...but Rick George (so far) did pretty good with the circumstances in which he found himself (I mean...given the timing of Tucker's exit, George was up a creek without a paddle in terms of his hiring options for a replacement).

Sigh. My wife would say that those are the sorts of breaks that bad programs get. But even bad programs sometimes have their glory eras. So, while not resigned to being an historically bad program I am detemined to enjoy the good times when we can get them and hope for a revival down the road at some point. But I am not off the Rick George bandwagon yet. He's got too much skin in the game still. He's also a very competent person. Let's hope he can make some adjustments to impact our near terms fortunes (or at least mitigate the worst of it's potential downsides...like the transfer portal taking what promising talent we DO have away from us...).

I also had a chance to talk for a sec to the new Pac-12 president. All I could tell him was that we were glad to see him and his tenure should have started earlier. But he's got his ass and reputation on the line now too. If he could get us a TV deal that looks at least more like the other big conferences, the extra money would help all our other deficiencies. So...there's my sunshine pumping potential outcome that will have my wife rolling her eyes at me again. But I have been a buff fan for 35 years now. I guess this is what I have become good at.

Sorry to all for the super long post. Venting I guess.

Wow okay lol.

I always think he was a foreigner. That does sound a little bit xenophobic.

CU should continue to grind. A certain section of doom and gloomers grumpgy people doesnt reflect the entire fan base. Most of us will always think CU can win and will get better. Not happy about the current state of affairs. But will continue to support my team like a true fan. Give out constructive criticism. But continue to support my team.
Define current. I too am not happy with the current state of affairs if current means the last 15 years.

You have made a lot of dumb arguments over the years…saying that Lewis is better than Noyer is the dumbest
You’ve made zero smart arguments over the years. Saying that Sam Noyer is the answer for this team is yet another.

Watched intermittently between this and the USC-Oregon St game.

The depressing things for me were that I caught myself thinking that CU actually looked decent in an uncompetitive loss against an average team that frankly looked bored and unfocused at times. The other was with Oregon State beating USC that means every other team in the conference has defeated USC since CU's admission to the PAC except CU. I don't see that happening this year and SC is probably at a low right now. It's just frustrating that CU has only been able to muster up one winning season in the last 15 years (yeah I guess last year technically counts too but come on). They are also 23-63 in Pac-12 conference play.

A winning or even near winning record over a 5-10 year span just doesn't seem possible for the program and that is depressing. I don't need CU to be some world-beater that contends for the CFP. I just want signs of competence and competitiveness when I go to spend my hard-earned money supporting the program.

I still think CU beats Arizona (and even that is in doubt after how AZ looked yesterday) but other than that I just don't see another win on the schedule.

This is false. The defense looked like garbage. As I commented in this very thread, the book is out on CU’s defense: we have zero linebackers who can cover in the pass game. ASU abused them all game.

The offense also got abused. The blindside pass pro is horrible. At least they tried to do things to better emphasize Lewis’ strengths. It didn’t work but they made a concerted effort. Biggest problem in the passing game continues to be passpro.

Special teams was … fine. One blocked FG was fugly.

Y’all gotta stop with the business with the defense being amazing. It is not. We have a few good individual players who have some decent skills. As a unit, in the last two games, they’ve gotten roasted for 876 yards and 65 points. They had one good game against a bad aTm quarterback. Once Jimbo finally could get his OL to block our pressure, it was nighty night when we had Guy Thomas in coverage. It’s snowballed ever since.
Agree with this. The defense is average at best. 62 in points/game and 87 in yards/play. On top of getting no pressure on the QB and forcing very few turnovers. They are not good enough to win games for a team on their own. The CU offense had been horrible, but one thing they have not done is turned the ball over. So it's not like the D is giving up a lot of 20 yard drives for TDs. They get the balled moved down the field on them consistently.

I know some of the CU bigwigs. I watched the pain George was in during and after the Minnesota debacle ( I mean, everyone in the room is staring at him...and he knows it. He feels the pressure). He's been a very successful guy and knows this impacts his long term reputation. The only way to rescue that is to somehow fix this. I don't know about Dorrell except to say that we can assume he's 1000% in as well (because he likely won't get another head coaching job if he fails here). So I disagree with those who somehow thing the higher ups are ok with this. I think they are borderline desperate to fix this at this point.
RG feels the pressure? Good, because he looks to have steered the good ship Buff into the iceberg. I highly doubt HCKD cares if he gets another HC gig. He will have 8-10 million in the bank regardless. NOBODY was going to hire him, he fell upward and RG caught him.
Well, even after two decades, I am not there yet. But I also think that the powers-that-be are trying harder to right this ship than many here think. It's a huge amount of money and some big ego reputations on the line. Rick George (so far) did pretty good with the circumstances in which he found himself (given the timing of Tucker's exit, George was up a creek without a paddle in terms of his hiring options for a replacement).

But I am not off the Rick George bandwagon yet. He's got too much skin in the game still. He's also a very competent person.
So PTB are trying hard. They do not lack desire or urgency. Good to know. Sounds like competence is the issue.

The are are 6 classifications (Divisions 1 through 6) in TX high School football and each classification has 2 divisions. Lewis played for Melissa HS in Division 4A-1. Not small schools but not large either. There are 92 high schools in 4A-1. Like many very good HS football players, he probably relied on pure athleticism in HS.

Point being, it IS AND WAS unlikely that he would be effective early as a first year full-time starter for a team with a bad O-Line and a spit and wire coaching staff.
So here we are. The injury to Shrout was a big deal, as I doubt that KD and Chev would be so tentative with him as the starter. Of course with these coaches you don't really know. I can't watch these games any more and I didn't watch the one last night.

i turned it off at 14-0. poured a drink, and watched a movie. best.decision.ever.

there is no plan to be competitive, let along successful. from the regents on down, CU proves quite conclusively it doesn't give 2 ****s about football as long as the program isn't "embarrassing" to them in some way unrelated to competitiveness.

after the gb debacle, i feared this is where we would end up. the death convulsions were slow but ultimately predictable.

i am done. at least for awhile, with CU football. having been a die-hard fan for over half a century, it surprises me to type those words.
What movie?

You’ve made zero smart arguments over the years. Saying that Sam Noyer is the answer for this team is yet another.
I haven’t read everything in this thread, but I think Noyer would have been a good transition year QB this year (assuming we lost JT). Lewis clearly needs (much?) more time. Sure, Noyer wasn’t Koy, but we could actually run a real offense with Noyer. We could throw mid-range and deep balls (and complete them), and keep the D somewhat honest. That simply won’t happen this year. This may be the most inept QB play we’ve had in decades, and that is really saying something. If he got the ball out in time—ever—the passpro would not be the killer it is. (Not all Lewis’s fault, of course, but a competent senior QB would make many of our present problems livable, especially with a good defense.).

Last edited:
This years O-line reminds me of the one that Hansen had to play behind and ran for his life all night against Kansas at Folsom.
You're dreaming if you believe Shrout would fair any better than Lewis and if he did it might only be in a few more completions...he'd have more sacks because he isn't near as mobile as Lewis.
I watched a bunch of games yesterday with DT QB's, in each I thought how much better this team could be if our OC would adapt and call plays like this OC does?
The under the helmet/chin hit told me Lewis is tougher than a lot of QB's these days, nursing his number of QB runs isn't going prevent injury any more or less.
This board is always posting about accountability, I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for an O-lineman to come out and say he completely biffed a block(s)...never going to happen.

I doubt that Noyer is better than, or even as good, a quarterback as Lewis. The problem is that he might be better in an offense that is determined not to use any option, naked bootlegs, or in any substantive manner utilize the mobility of Lewis.

The discussion has nothing to do with where he sits on OSU’s depth chart.

Through three games, Noyer is better than Lewis. Just admit you’re wrong. It is no big deal…
Admit what? That him being at CU would’ve been a locker room cancer?

This issue is settled.

I haven’t read everything in this thread, but I think Noyer would have been a good transition year QB this year (assuming we lost JT). Lewis clearly needs (much?) more time. Sure, Noyer wasn’t Koy, but we could actually run a real offense with Noyer. We could throw mid-range and deep balls (and complete them), and keep the D somewhat honest. That simply won’t happen this year. This may be the most inept QB play we’ve had in decades, and that is really saying something. If he got the ball out in time—ever—the passpro would not be the killer it is. (Not all Lewis’s fault, of course, but a competent senior QB would make many of our present problems livable, especially with a good defense.).
The choice was between Shrout/Lewis and Noyer. You cannot assume that Shrout tears his ACL in a fluke manner (while jogging). Last season was the transition year. It was best for both parties to move on. Shockingly, Noyer is buried on the depth chart elsewhere. He is not good. He has capped ability. At least with Lewis, when the decision was made, you had a higher ceiling. Hell, with real coaching, maybe his ceiling is still higher.

You’re reaching.
And you’re still shytposting. You don’t have any arguments, so you wanna troll me. Noyer is not good. We don’t know how good Lewis is because he’s playing with a handicapped play caller and a QB coach who can’t coach the scheme that fits Lewis’ style.

If I were wrong about Noyer, BTW, he’d be killing somewhere else - anywhere else. But, he is riding the pine as a third stringer. He’s emergency backup quality and should’ve remained a safety.

Admit what? That him being at CU would’ve been a locker room cancer?

This issue is settled.

What? Whatever you think about Noyer's playing ability, by all accounts he was an excellent teammate and upstanding guy. I have no doubt that he would've supported Lewis were he still here and he had he lost the job to him. You saying he would've been a cancer is bull****.

What? Whatever you think about Noyer's playing ability, by all accounts he was an excellent teammate and upstanding guy. I have no doubt that he would've supported Lewis were he still here and he had he lost the job to him. You saying he would've been a cancer is bull****.
He didn’t want to be the backup. That’s why he left, which makes your post bullshyt.

BTW - I didn’t say that he would be a cancer. I said him being there would be cancerous. Big difference. The current staff can’t manage the team as it is. No reason to think that they could manage a divided locker room.

Back