What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Cal @ CU Thread - 10/28 @ 12 PM MT Pac-12 Network

Very hypocritical for some who preached younger players needs experience to gain composure in big moments to not explain or apologize for his antics. Other than the other night he had been doing a good job too, it's not like people would have freaked out if he admitted he made a mistake and moved on.

I'm sure his boss is delighted that he did not say why he was upset. We all know why he was upset. Blasting the refs in a press conference three days after the game would be the bad look.

That's very true. I'm sure his boss was fine with "no comment", but like Duff says above, essentially saying that he doesn't see a problem with his emotions getting the better of him is a complete cop out. He's supposed to be leading young men. Not exactly setting a good example with his antics or his response to them.

That's very true. I'm sure his boss was fine with "no comment", but like Duff says above, essentially saying that he doesn't see a problem with his emotions getting the better of him is a complete cop out. He's supposed to be leading young men. Not exactly setting a good example with his antics or his response to them.

I'm not defending the antics. They were embarrassing to say the least. I'm sure he and RG discussed it and he may have even spoken to the team about it, which is what he should do. But addressing them in detail in a press conference is not beneficial to anyone.

I didn't expect much, but a blatant lie and refusing to address the issue doesn't cut it. If you press play on an issue, you better be ready to face the music.
When he went after the refs in the OSU game a few years ago, he talked about it openly. Mentioned that he would never do such a thing again. Something bigger has to be going on. He knows that isn't acceptable regardless of the scenario.

It is possible that RG spoke to MM about it, and "Don't talk about it to the press" was among the expectations laid out.

Yeah, I guess he should have just said his actions were unacceptable and he made a mistake and then moved on. Point is, I don't think we should have expected a thorough explanation.

More than a quick one-word answer is not too much to ask, especially considering he had to know the question is coming. If he can gush over Michael Mathewes and other pass rushers for a couple minutes, he surely can stop side-stepping "tough" questions after losses.

Positive: he's trying out new pass rush combos and moving guys around to replace those that haven't been getting it done.

Negative: he needs to do that.

He can't comment, okay there coach. He sets no example fir his team when he dodges and gets bent out of shape over tough questions. His players hold themselves accountable, about time he folliws the lead of his players.

Asked how he would respond in the future to referee frustration...."whatever I am feeling at the time"....WTF???? No, coach. You have a responsibility to lead by example, control your emotions, channel your frustration into positive action. Getting sick of MM's schtick. When your opponent says they played lousy even when shutting you out 28-0....and you praise their play....me thinks you have lost your way in a different reality.

Well, it was a bad look is all I know and he should've said I let my emotions get the best of me or something along those lines. That said, not the first time I've seen a coach lose their **** on the sideline or even being interviewed. A couple were some of my coaches and it was awkward answering questions about it.

His players hold themselves accountable? Falo, Umu, Julmisse, Irwin, Frazier sure seemed accountable during the offseason.

Talking about post game press conferences, and you knew that but carry on.

He's a grown man, they are 19-21yrs old but hey, nevermind, rock on MM!

Talking about post game press conferences, and you knew that but carry on.

He's a grown man, they are 19-21yrs old but hey, nevermind, rock on MM!
No I seriously didn’t know that. And you’re still grasping at straws about the players. Lindsay blatantly said he wasn’t going to answer questions about Wash State.

Not that concerned about this. I think his boss had a come to jesus conversation with him about his antics on the sideline the other night. I wouldn't expect him to spend a ton of time re-hashing it with the media.

Being critical of MM's interview skills is fair imo, but to me, it seems that this discussion about his sideline antics is more borne of where you stand on MM. If you like him, it appears amateurish and petty. If you're indifferent to him, perhaps it could be better, but still maybe understandable. If you like MM, then he's showing passion for the game.

I personally like MM, and I like that he'll scream at a ref instead of just standing idly on the sideline. Could he have backed off sooner, sure, but I also don't think it's the most egregious thing he could have done. I think those of you that think it was atrocious are going to keep finding things wrong with him. If we were winning, this probably wouldn't be a big deal at all.

I think there are plenty of ways to show passion without looking like you are out of control.

Sure, but did you really think that his antics on Sat were that terrible?? It seems like some posters do, and the severity of their criticism seems to stem from an overall distaste for MM. Perhaps I'm wrong, or I'm just biased from my overall liking for MM. You seem like one of the more level headed posters, so did you really think he was out of control? Compared to how we've seen all other coaches behave at times on the sidelines? I personally don't think he crossed any line. When he pushed Tumpkin last year - yes, that was out of the line, but this latest example... ...I don't think it was that bad.

Being critical of MM's interview skills is fair imo, but to me, it seems that this discussion about his sideline antics is more borne of where you stand on MM. If you like him, it appears amateurish and petty. If you're indifferent to him, perhaps it could be better, but still maybe understandable. If you like MM, then he's showing passion for the game.

I personally like MM, and I like that he'll scream at a ref instead of just standing idly on the sideline. Could he have backed off sooner, sure, but I also don't think it's the most egregious thing he could have done. I think those of you that think it was atrocious are going to keep finding things wrong with him. If we were winning, this probably wouldn't be a big deal at all.
I think the biggest issue I and most people had is that he was directing that anger towards the wrong people. He needed to be in his team and coaches face. He then preceded to keep berating the back judge for half a quarter. He was completely out of the game and not focused at all, IMO (the color guy even mentioned it). I understand being upset, but there is a point where you have to move on. It did absolutely nothing to keep doing that, especially at a time that, theoretically, CU was still in the game.

I like MM and think he is a very good HC, but I keep wondering if there is something bigger going on. You don't lose it like that, for one call that went against you. Some of it is probably frustration with the way the season is going (probably the way the game was going as well). He may have also thought it would fire his offense up, since they were completely lost on the field the entire game.

Sure, but did you really think that his antics on Sat were that terrible?? It seems like some posters do, and the severity of their criticism seems to stem from an overall distaste for MM. Perhaps I'm wrong, or I'm just biased from my overall liking for MM. You seem like one of the more level headed posters, so did you really think he was out of control? Compared to how we've seen all other coaches behave at times on the sidelines? I personally don't think he crossed any line. When he pushed Tumpkin last year - yes, that was out of the line, but this latest example... ...I don't think it was that bad.

I think it was pretty bad. There is a point where berating officials crosses into pettiness and I think he went way past that point on Saturday night. He lost his composure and focus. Any opposing coach does that and CU fans would rightfully be calling him out.

There is a good argument for a coach who "has his players' backs", and in a game situation that centers around getting after the officials and possibly even getting a penalty, when there are repeated poor calls/non-calls. I'm fine with Mac getting after the officials at times, but when he's 20 yards outside the coaches box, headset off, throwing his fists and screaming at the top of his lungs, 3-4 plays after the call/non-call that set him off, I think it moves from "I have my players' backs" to "I've completely lost control".

Back