What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Cal @ CU Thread - 10/28 @ 12 PM MT Pac-12 Network

If Nick Saban had acted this way, there would be a national debate on it for 3 weeks. Especially if his team lost.

Not your best argument. Here's five and a half minutes of various Saban sideline tirades, directed at players, coaches, officials and the media.

Do any of them go on for 1/2 a quarter?

Also, he's yelling at his coaches. Maybe MM should try that

I have issues with it the sideline episode from several perspectives. The call itself did not seem that bad, there was contact by both players but did not look like obvious pass interference. A few plays later CU got the ball back on the 25 when WSU muffed the punt so the opportunity for CU was still there. But instead of helping his team he was busy losing his cool.

Most coaches get there point across with the refs and then move on - I am actually surprised they did not give him and unsportsmanlike penalty.

I do not think this fell anywhere close to having you players back.

MacIntyre has alway been a little strange on the side lines, IMO.

Nice deflection.
Ok, lets dig into it then, shall we?

1. That's a 5 minute clip of at least 8 different games. In it, he is yelling at a player for being an idiot (throat slash sign), 2 different coaches, and a few refs.
2. In at least 2 of the "tirades" he has the entire team around him, they all appear to be engaged in what he is saying / yelling.
3. In his press conference, he acknowledges the facts and addresses them.

MM on the otherhand:
1. Goes on a 10-15 minute tirade / hissy fit in one game, directed at 1 ref
2. is never engaged with ANYONE - the only person in the event completely ignores him from the get go
3. Is COMPLETELY removed from the game, the situation and everything else around him.
4. Refuses to acknowledge it ever happened.

Your turn.

I think it was pretty bad. There is a point where berating officials crosses into pettiness and I think he went way past that point on Saturday night. He lost his composure and focus. Any opposing coach does that and CU fans would rightfully be calling him out.
When the yelling continued beyond a "reasonable" time, I actually thought that he was trying to get a penalty to instill some fire in a team that desperately needed it. I'm not saying that is a smart idea in football, just that it crossed my mind that he might be doing the equivalent of a basketball coach getting a technical foul on purpose.

1. That's a 5 minute clip of at least 8 different games. In it, he is yelling at a player for being an idiot (throat slash sign), 2 different coaches, and a few refs.
2. In at least 2 of the "tirades" he has the entire team around him, they all appear to be engaged in what he is saying / yelling.

MM on the otherhand:
2. is never engaged with ANYONE - the only person in the event completely ignores him from the get go
3. Is COMPLETELY removed from the game, the situation and everything else around him.

Your turn.
I've already said I thought Mac's tantrum was overboard and not acceptable, so you don't have to convince on that. My point was that Saban is notorious for his sideline tirades and being a condescending prick to the media, so he's probably not the best comparison.

When the yelling continued beyond a "reasonable" time, I actually thought that he was trying to get a penalty to instill some fire in a team that desperately needed it. I'm not saying that is a smart idea in football, just that it crossed my mind that he might be doing the equivalent of a basketball coach getting a technical foul on purpose.

Possible, it definitely came off as desperate, no matter the motivation.

MM on the otherhand:

Your turn.
I'm not arguing for or against this here, but it was not 10-15 minutes let's be realistic. It was maybe 3.

Back to the game, will lindgren find the te again or was that a one time thing?
As evidenced by our two games since Arizona.... Probably a one time thing. And even if he does line a TE up for a route, chances are Montez doesn't hit it if he's open. Noyer, on the other hand, could be a bit better I can't judge him based on his 1/2 in terrible conditions. But I have a feeling Montez is already booked as the starter by the staff even though there's a competition. As much as I want to see what Noyer can do.

As evidenced by our two games since Arizona.... Probably a one time thing. And even if he does line a TE up for a route, chances are Montez doesn't hit it if he's open. Noyer, on the other hand, could be a bit better I can't judge him based on his 1/2 in terrible conditions. But I have a feeling Montez is already booked as the starter by the staff even though there's a competition. As much as I want to see what Noyer can do.

Actually, I think Montez is far more reliable on the short throws, which most TE routes tend to be. He got flustered and up in his head after getting broken down after the "on the run trying to make a play" INT's early in the season, now he's even less able to hit receivers on long routes, even if they're open. Those long routes require more time to develop than he's getting protection for, and I don't know he's got the vision yet to see them, and he's kind of showing us lately he doesn't really have the accuracy. Whoever said we need more crossing routes and play action, short hitch is right on, but with a weak O-line, I figure the playcallers would rather have another big blocker than another receiver, which we have in spades. Give those receivers catchable balls, give Montez easier targets until he's out of his own head and feels comfortable in his own skin again.

Feels like they're trying to fit Montez into their offensive scheme that he can't be successful in yet, when we should be tailoring our offensive to what we can succeed in, then once we're completing passes, getting yards, getting down the field, we can do more playcalling from their preferred offensive scheme. And running him all the time like we did Sefo is a mistake, he doesn't really have the wheels, you're going to wear him out and he's going to take a lot of hits, instead of focusing on going through his receiver progression (not that he has a ton of time to do so, I concede....) and passing mechanics. They should give him a short bailout receiver on every play.

Last edited:
Actually, I think Montez is far more reliable on the short throws, which most TE routes tend to be. He got flustered and up in his head after getting broken down after the "on the run trying to make a play" INT's early in the season, now he's even less able to hit receivers on long routes, even if they're open. Those long routes require more time to develop than he's getting protection for, and I don't know he's got the vision yet to see them, and he's kind of showing us lately he doesn't really have the accuracy. Whoever said we need more crossing routes and play action, short hitch is right on, but with a weak O-line, I figure the playcallers would rather have another big blocker than another receiver, which we have in spades. Give those receivers catchable balls, give Montez easier targets until he's out of his own head and feels comfortable in his own skin again.

Feels like they're trying to fit Montez into their offensive scheme that he can't be successful in yet, when we should be tailoring our offensive to what we can succeed in, then once we're completing passes, getting yards, getting down the field, we can do more playcalling from their preferred offensive scheme. And running him all the time like we did Sefo is a mistake, he doesn't really have the wheels, you're going to wear him out and he's going to take a lot of hits, instead of focusing on going through his receiver progression (not that he has a ton of time to do so, I concede....) and passing mechanics. They should give him a short bailout receiver on every play.

Agree with a lot of this. Be it the TE or JMac from the slot they need to give him more "easy" throws that he can make easier and that don't require as long waiting giving the pass protection time to break down..

Montez to me is looking like a QB who doesn't have a lot of confidence right now. Do what you are talking about, give him some success on shorter, quicker passes and you likely start building his confidence back which I think will also result in more success on the mid to longer passing game.

Agree with a lot of this. Be it the TE or JMac from the slot they need to give him more "easy" throws that he can make easier and that don't require as long waiting giving the pass protection time to break down..

Montez to me is looking like a QB who doesn't have a lot of confidence right now. Do what you are talking about, give him some success on shorter, quicker passes and you likely start building his confidence back which I think will also result in more success on the mid to longer passing game.

I see both of your points here and I like what you're saying. But I think until Montez can get a grasp on that, why not give Noyer a chance? I've always thought Noyer and Lytle are QB's playing QB. They have the intangibles like pocket presence, ability to run through progressions and diagnose a difference with more ease than Montez. Montez is an athlete playing QB and he just never had the coaching for things like running through progressions. With 3 years of coaching I expected him to have a better handle on that this year and he clearly doesn't. Maybe he will learn it with more coaching but idk.. How much more time does he get before he just can't learn how to play QB at the college level like someone like Lytle most likely will (in my mind)

I see both of your points here and I like what you're saying. But I think until Montez can get a grasp on that, why not give Noyer a chance? I've always thought Noyer and Lytle are QB's playing QB. They have the intangibles like pocket presence, ability to run through progressions and diagnose a difference with more ease than Montez. Montez is an athlete playing QB and he just never had the coaching for things like running through progressions. With 3 years of coaching I expected him to have a better handle on that this year and he clearly doesn't. Maybe he will learn it with more coaching but idk.. How much more time does he get before he just can't learn how to play QB at the college level like someone like Lytle most likely will (in my mind)

What I saw from him last year told me that Montez is a big time QB talent. Big, mobile, and can make all the throws. Wasn't overwhelmed by getting throw in against schools like Oregon and USC.

I did say in a different post that it may not be a bad thing to sit Montez for a week or two and let him get his stuff back together. He looks like a guy who has had such poor pass protection that he is looking for the rush instead of to make the play. Until they can improve the line play I don't think it matters a lot who the QB is but knowing what they have up front some different play calling could help take the pressure off.

Not your best argument. Here's five and a half minutes of various Saban sideline tirades, directed at players, coaches, officials and the media.

I didn’t see the MM tirade(s) and haven’t seen any clips. Are some available?

The tirade against the refs was overboard but I can understand a little bit his frustration is coming out. I don’t know if anyone noticed it, but what bothered me was his little hissy fit when Moeller missed a pick six opportunity. He ran out on the field waving his arms around and yelling at Moeller. To me that is worse. Moeller made a good play to break up the pass. Sure it would have been nice if he caught it, but a head coach who goes postal on a player for something like that is on the way to loosing the respect of his team. Last year they were a team and had each other’s backs. This year you see stuff like this from Mac that trickles down to the players. Instead of having each other’s back, they start to point fingers at other team mates. When that happens you don’t have a team any more and you lose.

Last edited:
Two threads going here, so here is one cent for each one to make my two cents.

Mac had a mental break down pretty much! He is in the middle of a .500 season after he thought he was god! I think everything that has happened (Tumpkin, Montez, Losing, Stress) made him crack. The fact he will not own up to it is the problem. Seems like there are cracks in the dam and I really hope he has a plan to fix it (Change assistants, change the approach to focus on the next steps of the Rise). I like Mac a lot, but he is a program builder (not a championship coach) and the program foundation is built and he may not be the force that pushes the Rise any higher. Time to re-invent and innovate.

As for the QB's, there is no great answer right now. We have an inept QB coach and offensive coordinator, so the players will not get coached up out of this hole. I would be fine with Montez starting, and taking 2-3 series. If he is solid, he continues, if he struggles or it feels right, give Noyer 1-2 series. No matter what happens, and I do not have the absolute best answer, we MUST WIN THIS GAME!!! We must have bowl practices to sort out more and more things that are ailing this team.

Go Buffs!

Two threads going here, so here is one cent for each one to make my two cents.

Mac had a mental break down pretty much! He is in the middle of a .500 season after he thought he was god! I think everything that has happened (Tumpkin, Montez, Losing, Stress) made him crack. The fact he will not own up to it is the problem. Seems like there are cracks in the dam and I really hope he has a plan to fix it (Change assistants, change the approach to focus on the next steps of the Rise). I like Mac a lot, but he is a program builder (not a championship coach) and the program foundation is built and he may not be the force that pushes the Rise any higher. Time to re-invent and innovate.

As for the QB's, there is no great answer right now. We have an inept QB coach and offensive coordinator, so the players will not get coached up out of this hole. I would be fine with Montez starting, and taking 2-3 series. If he is solid, he continues, if he struggles or it feels right, give Noyer 1-2 series. No matter what happens, and I do not have the absolute best answer, we MUST WIN THIS GAME!!! We must have bowl practices to sort out more and more things that are ailing this team.

Go Buffs!
Agree with your sentiment about your answer.

Does anyone know for sure of any bars downtown that do NOT have Pac 12 Network? Trying to figure out the best place to go with a split group of CU and Wisconsin fans to be able to watch both games tomorrow and want to be able to rule out certain ones.

View attachment 24111 View attachment 24112
View attachment 24114

Ironically, heading home this weekend for the game I ran into these bums along I-80
That's a sweet looking truck. Ironically we've only been with UnderArmour for a few months and they've literally branded everything we own. I see they've even got their logo on our truck now. I'm pretty sure they are going to start slapping stickers on the fans next when they walk in the stadium. I guess he who pays the piper . . .

View attachment 24111 View attachment 24112
View attachment 24114

Ironically, heading home this weekend for the game I ran into these bums along I-80

Were those photos taken from your subaru or your prius?

What up Allbuffs? Are you all up for watching some really bad football played today?
waving-bear.jpg

Back