What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Cal @ CU Thread - 10/28 @ 12 PM MT Pac-12 Network

Quality kicking is rare at every level. Stefanou is unlikely to be at CU after next season as he learns the position. He can go pro at any time.

Man, Stefanou is SOLID. Doesn't have the booming leg of Crosby but it sure looks like we're gonna have the luxury of a very good kicker the next 4 years that is almost automatic inside 45 yards. The vast majority of college teams don't have that.

Nice comeback by Montez so far, most accurate long balls he's thrown all year. Probably the most complete half of football we've played this year sadly, now please lets not blow this...

His Mom :LOL:, how embarrassing.

Glad he is fine.

Edit: Man, he has a cannon.

Last edited:
Quality kicking is rare at every level. Stefanou is unlikely to be at CU after next season as he learns the position. He can go pro at any time.
Yeah I was thinking about that. He obviously came here with the goal of being a pro (well all college football players do I'm sure, but his situation is quite different) and at his age he only has so many years left to do so. But most of the best college kickers EVER (that I can think of anyway) didn't leave early. NFL kicking jobs are so rare and hard to get, would he leave early without a definite roster spot or to kick in the CFL or something? I doubt it. I guess time will tell, but I think it's WAY too early to say "he can go pro at any time."

Has there ever been a kicker drafted after a year or two of playing college ball? NFL teams are not going to take a chance on someone like a kicker without a lot of evidence they are good.

Sure, he can declare at any time. "Go pro", though? Remember, only 3-4 kickers get drafted every year. He has a long way to go to be a top kicker in the nation. For starters, he needs to get more height/distance on his kicks. From what I can tell, his leg is not strong enough yet. That said, he does look very consistent compared to what we've been used to the last decade, so I'll be happy to call him our kicker for the next four years.

Umm, not to be nitpicky, but Montez does not need to dive there. Just run past the line to gain, and run out of bounds. Had plenty of room.

EDIT: Yes, it's easy for me to say -- I don't have 270lb defenders with hard plastic weapons looking to take my head off. Ha!

This is how you win PAC 12 games. Team football, make kicks, solid punts, solid coverage, running game, be more physical than the other team.

A lot of the reason why kickers don’t leave is because of the maturity you need for the position. Most college kickers are in their early 20s. Stefanou is already a grown man — the oldest in the FBS. Once he learns the technique of the position, he’ll be ready. The clock is ticking. With another solid year next season, he’ll be gone.

Yeah I was thinking about that. He obviously came here with the goal of being a pro (well all college football players do I'm sure, but his situation is quite different) and at his age he only has so many years left to do so. But most of the best college kickers EVER (that I can think of anyway) didn't leave early. NFL kicking jobs are so rare and hard to get, would he leave early without a definite roster spot or to kick in the CFL or something? I doubt it. I guess time will tell, but I think it's WAY too early to say "he can go pro at any time."

Montez has some shifty moves, he's made quite a few defenders look silly on his runs this year. Huge score after those two penalties.

Montez had a concussion against OSU, and is not good at playing in cold and wet conditions (yet!)
Otherwise, he is the QB1 of this team!!!
At least I am seeing a better coached team, glad Steven had to take all the pressure and flack for bad overall play.

Montez had a concussion against OSU, and is not good at playing in cold and wet conditions (yet!)
Otherwise, he is the QB1 of this team!!!
At least I am seeing a better coached team, glad Steven had to take all the pressure and flack for bad overall play.

Cannot let it go for even one game. Nice.

A lot of the reason why kickers don’t leave is because of the maturity you need for the position. Most college kickers are in their early 20s. Stefanou is already a grown man — the oldest in the FBS. Once he learns the technique of the position, he’ll be ready. The clock is ticking. With another solid year next season, he’ll be gone.

As long as he is on next years team in case we need a 57 yard field goal against the Huskers!!!

This is fun.
tenor.gif

Back