What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Colorado vs Minnesota game Thread

Individually there will be a lot of CU players after this game who think "I was as good as the guy I was playing against" then they will look at the tape and realize that they were let down by the coaches and a lack of talent at some key positions.

When this happens your program starts to rot from the inside.
That process started last week.

He threw the ball everywhere against Texas without worry, now he is all “coached up” and he is a shell of himself! I hate overcoaching
That year we only installed 30% of our offense, and he likely had less then that to deal with in prep for the bowl game. Is it “overcoaching” or attempting to install a full—horribly flawed—playbook? Both, probably.

I think we’ve seen this problem before: the other team knows exactly what play we are going to run, likely even calling it out before or snap (as happened before).

I see a failure of strategic thinking in the development of the playbook, and certainly in the play calling.

Gads.

Last edited:
Is Chev still on the coaching staff? Is the QB coach still employed? Cutting the cord on Monday is too late. This needs to happen ASAP, if not, KD will be gone very soon with both of them.

I don’t believe that. I think he gave Chev just enough rope to hang himself. Now he can do it his way. IMHO
If you're right, it's the only way this season can be salvaged.

My best case scenario is that you're right, Chev is gone or demoted this week, and the team gets one or two more wins with KD or Langsdorf calling plays.

The season leads to KD overhauling the offensive staff in the winter and he gives the reigns to a young up and comer with a modern offense who does as well as Wilson has done on the D.

I have little hope that KD will ever get recruiting religion though. But if he does the above, he might get us back to .500 for a year or two before we move on to a coach that hopefully knows how to recruit.

So was Mel Tucker-but nobody bitched about that because he was such a great recruiter-I mean look at the excellent QB play we've seen through three games.

Like I said earlier-Its really easy to play the kind of backyard football we saw from Lewis in December in the Alamo Bowl. Texas was up 30, had yanked the starters who did play, and was more vanilla than some ice cream most of the second half. The timid as **** QB play we've seen so far this year is more likely what he is barring a sizable improvement in fairly short order.
That is coaching. You coach to the player, NOT visa versa

Let me give you my takes on all three:
Chev-worst OC in the country outside of John Donovan at Washington, and its not really close. His position group has been below average (at best) in these three games. Should be demoted to WR coach NOW (with Langsdorf or Dorrell taking over play calling for the rest of the year) and his future here should depend on what he's able to do with that group the rest of this year. Lewis shouldn't be playing-he's had a lot of "deer in headlights" moments over the last three weeks....which leads to Dorrell's handling of the situation-Noyer leaves because he brought JT Shrout in here with the intention of starting him IMO (I didn't say that on here because I knew the reactions like the unlike I just got from @Bill Cody would shortly follow). Shrout's hurt, and now here we are.

Here's my point on Mel Tucker: A lot of you have and continue to overrate him as a recruiter IMO. In addition to the issues with Lewis, Clayton is 3rd on the RB depth chart (and has been for pretty much the entire time he's been here) behind Broussard and Fontenot. Rice hasn't done much of anything this year. I thought Gonzalez had a really good game last week, but that's really the only kid in that class who has honestly stood out to me the entire time that group has been on campus.
That class is still too young to judge like that

This hurts to agree with but PJ Flack and Minnesota >>>> Hillbilly and aTm
A&M's D is really, really good I think. Offensively? They're an SEC offense-and they looked like that against Kent State two weeks ago with King in that entire game.

I think they'll win 10 games and get a good bowl game, but I don't see how they play with Alabama and think they could drop another game somewhere (Auburn could get them, they have to go to Ole Miss, and LSU is never easy in Baton Rouge).

On Fleck-he's an interesting cat, but dude gets results. I'd be curious to see what he could do at a place like USC.

I don't know if lost faith in the coaches is the right way to put it, but I do think this team let A&M beat them again.

That was f*cking awful. At least I watched on DVR so I only wasted two hours on this crap. I don’t think there is anything else to say.
So true. My fast forward got faster and faster as the game went along. I think I broke 90 mins.

I guess the silver lining might be that the band aid was ripped off today. Can't look at it like last week (or even UNC) and pretend that it isn't really this bad. It's going to be interesting to see what changes are made. If no changes are made, that would be telling as well.

I guess the silver lining might be that the band aid was ripped off today. Can't look at it like last week (or even UNC) and pretend that it isn't really this bad. It's going to be interesting to see what changes are made. If no changes are made, that would be telling as well.
At the very least KD essentially said everything is on the table when asked specifically about change in personnel to coaching/playcalling duties

Boom!! Such a great post!!! When “coaching” makes you worse, you are doing it wrong
I wanted to add that evaluating the effect of your own coaching, looking yourself in the mirror and having the courage to avoid blaming the players, is what separates the good from the great….or at least the good from the mediocre

I wanted to add that evaluating the effect of your own coaching, looking yourself in the mirror and having the courage to avoid blaming the players, is what separates the good from the great….or at least the good from the mediocre
Statements like this always strike me as funny. Yes, there's some truth but good/great coaches win a lot more than they lose and aren't often in a position where they would even consider blaming the players. It's pretty easy to take the blame when you're confident that you'll win next week.

A&M's D is really, really good I think. Offensively? They're an SEC offense-and they looked like that against Kent State two weeks ago with King in that entire game.

I think they'll win 10 games and get a good bowl game, but I don't see how they play with Alabama and think they could drop another game somewhere (Auburn could get them, they have to go to Ole Miss, and LSU is never easy in Baton Rouge).

On Fleck-he's an interesting cat, but dude gets results. I'd be curious to see what he could do at a place like USC.

I don't know if lost faith in the coaches is the right way to put it, but I do think this team let A&M beat them again.
All fair points. I feel like aTm is a mid level SEC team. I came away far more impressed with Minnesota. I think that Coach Hillbilly is overrated. PJ Fleck really gets it.

Back