What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU-Cal Pregame/Game Thread

I was just going to post this.

You are what your record says you are.

Cal's a bad team that's consistently competitive in its games.
Fine, whatever. I think Cal is better than their record. We'll find out how they stack up Saturday. Better O, but worse D than CU, statistically. I highly doubt CU stays within 7 of Oregon, but again, we'll see.

Thow more to the backs out of the backfield. CU need to pass to setup the run. Also need to go no hurdle, play faster.
star get GIF

Fine, whatever. I think Cal is better than their record. We'll find out how they stack up Saturday. Better O, but worse D than CU, statistically. I highly doubt CU stays within 7 of Oregon, but again, we'll see.

Cal has one win on the season, against D2 Sacramento State by the score of 42-30 or 12 points. Sacramento State lost to Northern Iowa 34-16 or 18 points. By your logic, Oregon would only beat Northern Iowa by one point. It's too bad UO and UNI don't play each other this season cuz I would make a bundle on that game.

A little annoying that Shenault is still being held out. Guess that's what you get when the emphasis is place on teaching and raising men rather than winning.

Fair enough, this is the program that harbored and promoted a known woman beater coach under the current administration. I have no doubt Shenault's offenses are infinitely less offensive.

The priority should be teaching and raising men. Hopefully Shenault can turn things around. He is running out of chances.

Sorry, but college football is big business and college players are now able to make money off their NIL. The priority is not on teaching and raising men. These players are adults and the coaches are not their fathers.
This. The kid gloves are off now. It’s a business. We don’t have to like it (I don’t), but we better get used to it, and fast.

serious question, does anyone have a link to the formal job description for the CU head football coach?

This discussion has me wondering if it says anything about graduating players, or being a leader, or teaching non-football skills.

the job description for women's' LaX coach has this:
Being the leadership figure (setting expectations, holding members responsible for missing practice, messing around, etc.)

Sorry, but college football is big business and college players are now able to make money off their NIL. The priority is not on teaching and raising men. These players are adults and the coaches are not their fathers.

The question I need to ask you is When these players were been recruited and the coach went to talk to the parents of the players. Did the coach tell the paretns I am not his father, College football is big business. I will not teach him anything?

The question I need to ask you is When these players were been recruited and the coach went to talk to the parents of the players. Did the coach tell the paretns I am not his father, College football is big business. I will not teach him anything?
No, but as a father who went through it, I heard a lot of "we will provide the guidance, structure and resources for our young men to be successful, how they choose to use those things to excel on and off the field will be their responsibility." I heard A LOT more of, "Here's how and why we're are winning/are going to be winning."

As a parent would you send your child to a school if the Coach tells you he will not teach a student athlete life lessons?

I am a CU alumni, if KD said something like that. My kid will not attend CU.

As a parent would you send your child to a school if the Coach tells you he will not teach a student athlete life lessons?

No coach is saying they won’t provide guidance or be there for support, but that is not the priority and any family who thinks it is or should be isn’t living in reality.

These kids are getting a free college degree and can now capitalize further monetarily, some in the 6 and 7 figure range, and transfer anywhere they want without penalty.

Coaches are recruiting these kids to win football games, not to be their father figures away from home. If that’s part of the recruiting sales pitch then so be it, but it is not a priority, nor should it be.

It’s division one football. It ain’t Big Brothers Big Sisters

Okay one quick thing before I respond to this-I expect this program to be in bowls most years, with the occasional really special year.......along the lines of 2001 or 2016. It is not that damn hard to win at the level I talked about in the last sentence while still doing things the right way-but CU has made it next to impossible over the last 15 years.

No coach is saying they won’t provide guidance or be there for support, but that is not the priority and any family who thinks it is or should be isn’t living in reality.

These kids are getting a free college degree and can now capitalize further monetarily, some in the 6 and 7 figure range, and transfer anywhere they want without penalty.

Coaches are recruiting these kids to win football games, not to be their father figures away from home. If that’s part of the recruiting sales pitch then so be it, but it is not a priority, nor should it be.

It’s division one football. It ain’t Intramurals!
FIFY:LOL:

Here's the other thing to keep in mind, the HC at any program is spending almost zero one on one time with individual players. It's just not how it works. The majority of player interaction is with position coaches (60%) and even Grad Assistants (40%) who are typically only 4-5 years older than the players themselves.

Okay one quick thing before I respond to this-I expect this program to be in bowls most years, with the occasional really special year.......along the lines of 2001 or 2016. It is not that damn hard to win at the level I talked about in the last sentence while still doing things the right way-but CU has made it next to impossible over the last 15 years.
If you recruit well consistently, you can afford to take some hard line stances on good players who break the rules, and still win 6-7 games/year. When you're recruiting sucks and you are averaging 8-10 ppg from your offense it makes it hard to self impose a half season suspension for one of your top playmakers and still expect to score points and win.

A coach can do both. Can win an teach life lessens. How does it help the program long term if a WR is not properly suspened for violationg team rules.

I always chuckled when my son's coaches gave their little "teach them life lessons" and "help them become men" speeches.

I sat there and listened. On occasion I would ask if they listened to themselves. I am his father, raised him and had been with him every day since, but now some sports coach is going to take credit for teaching him life lessons and finally, make him a man. It was all self serving BS.

Can a coach be a positive influence? Sure. For a kid who may come from a difficult family back ground? Again, yes. But for god sakes know your audience.

Sorry that is how I see it.

Sure, but a pitch that focus mostly on football been big business won't work for me. The pitch about been a father figure maybe self serving but it is mandatory for me. Will then do my research to see if practice what they preach. From what i am hearing. Parents like KD. He looks like a steady father figure.

A coach can do both. Can win an teach life lessens. How does it help the program long term if a WR is not properly suspened for violationg team rules.
How does it help the program if a very talented WR is actually on the field making plays instead of sitting out half the season for violating team rules? The answer seems obvious to me.

How does it help the program if a very talented WR is actually on the field making plays instead of sitting out half the season for violating team rules? The answer seems obvious to me.

It sends a mesage to other players. No one is bigger than the team. You violate team rules you get suspended. You will have more discipline which translates to better play on the fieldd.

Cal has one win on the season, against D2 Sacramento State by the score of 42-30 or 12 points. Sacramento State lost to Northern Iowa 34-16 or 18 points. By your logic, Oregon would only beat Northern Iowa by one point. It's too bad UO and UNI don't play each other this season cuz I would make a bundle on that game.

Sac State is D1AA in the Big Sky, for whatever it's worth. There's no D2 football left in CA after Humboldt dropped their program few years back.

Sac State won last week in Missoula, and UM beat Washington in Seattle, so therefore they're better than UW :LOL:

While I don't have high hopes for this one, it's the most winnable one left IMO... I haven't seen much out of the bears that has impressed me, but we have all seen CU play this year.

Sure, but a pitch that focus mostly on football been big business won't work for me. The pitch about been a father figure maybe self serving but it is mandatory for me. Will then do my research to see if practice what they preach. From what i am hearing. Parents like KD. He looks like a steady father figure.
I'm sure parents like KD, but the parents of top recruits don't like him more than they like their son playing for a coach who will prep them for the NFL.

You can sit here all day and talk about how programs need to discipline these young men and mentor them and teach them life lessons, but that's not their job. Like it or not, these players are tools for winning games. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be punished for breaking team rules or shouldn't be able to go to coaches for guidance, but half a season is getting ridiculous

Back