What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU-Cal Pregame/Game Thread

Sac State is D1AA in the Big Sky, for whatever it's worth. There's no D2 football left in CA after Humboldt dropped their program few years back.

Sac State won last week in Missoula, and UM beat Washington in Seattle, so therefore they're better than UW :LOL:

While I don't have high hopes for this one, it's the most winnable one left IMO... I haven't seen much out of the bears that has impressed me, but we have all seen CU play this year.
Troy Taylor has made Sac State pretty formidable at a program that used to be a wasteland. (Shout out to Jalepeno!)

Last edited:
Ye
My wife and I are perfectly capable of doing that for our child. I wouldn't be looking for a third parent for our child.
I went to CU. I know how overwhelming it can be a young freshman. It would make me feel better if I know someone is looking out for my kid while they are on campus. It is not about having a third parent

Ye

I went to CU. I know how overwhelming it can be a young freshman. It would make me feel better if I know someone is looking out for my kid while they are on campus. It is not about having a third parent

So did most of the people on this board, including myself, you are not unique. What about the thousands of non-athletes? Who's looking out for them?

If Cal plays like they did first 5 games, will be very close. If Cal progresses from Duck loss what are odds CU has made enough progress to be in 4th quarter game?

serious question, does anyone have a link to the formal job description for the CU head football coach?

This discussion has me wondering if it says anything about graduating players, or being a leader, or teaching non-football skills.

the job description for women's' LaX coach has this:
I actually had to click on the link to verify the official job description says “…messing around, etc). Holy crap.

I always chuckled when my son's coaches gave their little "teach them life lessons" and "help them become men" speeches.

I sat there and listened. On occasion I would ask if they listened to themselves. I am his father, raised him and had been with him every day since, but now some sports coach is going to take credit for teaching him life lessons and finally, make him a man. It was all self serving BS.

Can a coach be a positive influence? Sure. For a kid who may come from a difficult family back ground? Again, yes. But for god sakes know your audience.

Sorry that is how I see it.
Respectfully disagree. Specifically with youth and high school football, I think life lessons are a big part of it - teamwork, sacrifice, hard work, competition, time management, etc - think I can’t replicate as a dad.
College ball - totally different. They should already have that by then.

Sac State is D1AA in the Big Sky, for whatever it's worth. There's no D2 football left in CA after Humboldt dropped their program few years back.

Sac State won last week in Missoula, and UM beat Washington in Seattle, so therefore they're better than UW :LOL:

While I don't have high hopes for this one, it's the most winnable one left IMO... I haven't seen much out of the bears that has impressed me, but we have all seen CU play this year.
Aka FCS.

So did most of the people on this board, including myself, you are not unique. What about the thousands of non-athletes? Who's looking out for them?
Who's looking out for the thousands of other non-athlete students?

Pretty much the entire rest of the administration or faculty at any major university--even in law schools these days, if you ask or need it. I sat at orientation, first day of my law school, and the Dean said, "There's an old law school introduction that goes, look to your right, then your left, one of you won't be here for second year. But In all my time as Dean, I've never seen that happen if the student just came to me or another member of my team and asked for help." That was completely true: I had a friend who barely showed up, didn't turn in even final papers, but they kept giving him chance after chance after chance.

It's been a long time since I was in undergrad, but even in the 80's there was no dearth of potential help from throughout the faculty and admin, organizations, mentors, clubs, other students, etc. and etc. Even in my era, I was going to be three credits short of graduating, because I didn't like my econ class (it was at 8 am) and stupidly dropped it super late in the cycle. My philosophy advisor helped me out by creating an independent study for me, which he monitored over the following summer to get me the credits.

I know I never would have made it as a scholarship athlete with all the things on those students' daily schedule without some real guidance and help: all the extra pressure, all the film study, weight room, practice times, travel to games, distractions and distractions, etc. I could barely make it to language lab twice a week without those obligations. I managed to miss the one-time trip to the planetarium and had to retake astronomy, and it was probably the only thing I had to do that day. I couldn't have done the student-athlete thing. That's a very specific world.

But who was looking out for students like me? Everyone I ever asked.

Who's looking out for the thousands of other non-athlete students?

Pretty much the entire rest of the administration or faculty at any major university--even in law schools these days, if you ask or need it. I sat at orientation, first day of my law school, and the Dean said, "There's an old law school introduction that goes, look to your right, then your left, one of you won't be here for second year. But In all my time as Dean, I've never seen that happen if the student just came to me or another member of my team and asked for help." That was completely true: I had a friend who barely showed up, didn't turn in even final papers, but they kept giving him chance after chance after chance.

It's been a long time since I was in undergrad, but even in the 80's there was no dearth of potential help from throughout the faculty and admin, organizations, mentors, clubs, other students, etc. and etc. Even in my era, I was going to be three credits short of graduating, because I didn't like my econ class (it was at 8 am) and stupidly dropped it super late in the cycle. My philosophy advisor helped me out by creating an independent study for me, which he monitored over the following summer to get me the credits.

I know I never would have made it as a scholarship athlete with all the things on those students' daily schedule without some real guidance and help: all the extra pressure, all the film study, weight room, practice times, travel to games, distractions and distractions, etc. I could barely make it to language lab twice a week without those obligations. I managed to miss the one-time trip to the planetarium and had to retake astronomy, and it was probably the only thing I had to do that day. I couldn't have done the student-athlete thing. That's a very specific world.

But who was looking out for students like me? Everyone I ever asked.

I know this. It was rhetorical. I've worked in higher ed student affairs for 15 years.

Edit: I found VT and Johnny's comments highly insulting.

Acadmic advvisor didn't even know my first name Met her twice as a freshman andd then just before I graduated.
Wait.

You went to a college without there being a father figure to guide you, and provide discipline, and help you figure out how to be a man?

I'll never understand why having such structure, mentorship, guidance, etc is so, so ****ing important for football players, but somehow isn't something that is important for any other undergraduate student.

When your son or daughter looks at a school, do you look for professors to help guide him in his personal life and responsibilities, or do you look for professors who know their subject and have a track record of teaching their students how to excel in that discipline?

I firmly believe that the thinking that football coaches have to provide this service to students has racist roots. You may not, and may be just spouting things you've heard that other people say are important.

But why?

Why do football players need someone to administer discipline and be a "father figure" on campus, but all the other students on campus don't? What makes them different? Why do they need something that the white kid in the business school doesn't?

Which were what?
Anything that isn't public knowledge (e.g. the DUI last year) is his business and it's not my place to share that publicly. They weren't bad violations though. Just weren't the first violations so it resulted in his suspension

Back