What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU Head Coach Search Thread - Primetime

I’ll add one more; if PD does put up a fight, I think it’s entirely plausible that RG would go over his head to Saliman to get the concessions he feels he needs.

On this point, there's something to ponder further.

MT departed in 2020; it was rumored that a big part of why he was leaving was tied to promises that RG made regarding easing transfer restrictions and academic admissions for football recruits. If he'd gone over PD's head at that point, he'd have been going to Mark Kennedy. I still don't know what to make of Kennedy, but he was deeply unpopular at UND for moving the football team to the Missouri Valley conference and also for cutting women's hockey and a couple of other sports programs. I believe he was pretty unfriendly to athletics.

This time may be different if Saliman is as pro-athletics as has been rumored.

On this point, there's something to ponder further.

MT departed in 2020; it was rumored that a big part of why he was leaving was tied to promises that RG made regarding easing transfer restrictions and academic admissions for football recruits. If he'd gone over PD's head at that point, he'd have been going to Mark Kennedy. I still don't know what to make of Kennedy, but he was deeply unpopular at UND for moving the football team to the Missouri Valley conference and also for cutting women's hockey and a couple of other sports programs. I believe he was pretty unfriendly to athletics.

This time may be different if Saliman is as pro-athletics as has been rumored.
Saliman is a CU guy. I think that’s really good for us.

You almost have to put a little pressure on if you really want him. Don’t let him wait around to see what other jobs open up. You know RG, like recruiting in the old days.
Is Herman enough of a name for Auburn to want to go that way?

OMG. OMG OMG. This is too good to be true! I get to sit back and watch you miserable arseholes throw piss balloons at each other for the next 2 months. I may load up a few marshmallows with batteries just to join in the fun. (Seriously, I am like a giddy teenager rn, lol).

Anyway, F*CK all of you. Here are my top 3

1. Scott Frost - please baby moloch make it so
2. Cody Hawkins - baby hawk to lead the buffs would be epic (can we put his profile in the coaches list please?)
3. Bobby Petrino - someone that will actually burn it all to the ground in grand fashion while also giving you all a glimmer of hope that this could be the One!

OMG. OMG OMG. This is too good to be true! I get to sit back and watch you miserable arseholes throw piss balloons at each other for the next 2 months. I may load up a few marshmallows with batteries just to join in the fun. (Seriously, I am like a giddy teenager rn, lol).

2. Cody Hawkins - baby hawk to lead the buffs would be epic (can we put his profile in the coaches list please?)
3. Bobby Petrino - someone that will actually burn it all to the ground in grand fashion while also giving you all a glimmer of hope that this could be the One!
Here We Go Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Are you going to contribute meaningfully to threads or should I just get rid of you now?

banned spider ham GIF

Is Herman enough of a name for Auburn to want to go that way?
Maybe, but doesn’t seem like the best fit. The names I’ve seen bandied about are Mike Gundy, Kevin Steele, Lane Kiffin, Hugh Freeze, and Josh Gattis. I’d give Deion an outside chance there too.

You might get Bronco RIGHT NOW if you put in the effort. If I were him and I was interested, I'd want to start right now.
With the understanding that you can bring in your own guys as needed. He might bring one key assistant with him out of retirement. Just to assess the situation.

Early favorite for me:

Jeff Grimes (by a lot).

I got to know him a bit when he was at CU. Very impressive guy, who literally oozes leadership abilities and demands respect. Former Offensive Lineman, so he's a big dude. He made the move from OL coach to OC and he's done well. At BYU, he was the OC under a head coach with a defensive background.

This guy blows away the leadership I've witnessed under Hawkins and everyone since. He's essentially a Mike Mac type of personality without the "overly nice guy" approach. He's smart, well-spoken, but has some personality (unlike KD).

At Baylor, he's the OC under a Defensive head coach. That important to me to know he brings a system. A system that he's built, adapted and tested against teams like Oklahoma etc.

I'd think he could bring a quality DC with him who's likely at Baylor.

And he's a Texan, who has an understanding of the west (BYU recruits heavily up and down the West Coast) and Texas.

Maybe, but doesn’t seem like the best fit. The names I’ve seen bandied about are Mike Gundy, Kevin Steele, Lane Kiffin, Hugh Freeze, and Josh Gattis. I’d give Deion an outside chance there too.
The concern with Herman is ASU. They could easily go that way. I'd argue we're a better job because Ray Anderson's a dead man walking AD to an extent that Rick George is not right now.

Early favorite for me:

Jeff Grimes (by a lot).

I got to know him a bit when he was at CU. Very impressive guy, who literally oozes leadership abilities and demands respect. Former Offensive Lineman, so he's a big dude. He made the move from OL coach to OC and he's done well. At BYU, he was the OC under a head coach with a defensive background.
This is just a personal preference for me, but I don’t want any coach that literally oozes. Very hard to recruit with that as a pre-existing condition.

While I would love Herman as the HC, realistically I do not think he will be at CU. I believe CU needs young skilled minds with big recruiting chops. This would be my best scenario currently:

HC: Ryan Walters
OC: Bobby Petrino or Troy Taylor
(doubtful if he would leave Sac State to come audition for a P5 HC position taking the OC at CU but this would be the best scenario)
DC: Donte Williams (If Colorado is truly looking to reestablish its recruiting pipeline to the Los Angeles area, Williams would be a smart choice. He's one of the more established names in the SoCal recruiting scene and has brought in talent to Oregon and now USC. Williams, 40, also served as interim head coach at USC last year after Clay Helton was fired and interviewed for Fresno State's head-coaching vacancy. He was retained by new coach Lincoln Riley and has overseen a playmaking secondary early this season. The Los Angeles native worked at Arizona and Washington earlier in his career and has spent all but one year in the Pac-12 footprint)
DL/Associate Head Coach: Oscar Giles - Prior to Giles’ first recruiting class at Texas in 2018, the Longhorns had the 25th-ranked class in the country. They followed up this performance with rankings of third, third and eighth from 2018-20, respectively. Hired during the Tom Herman regime, Giles was retained by Steve Sarkisian and is a big part of building recruiting classes for the future. CU would need to add Associate HC to his title.
WR Coach/Lead Offensive Recruiter: Lonnie Galloway (NC State WR Coach) Galloway was one of the main contributors to 2020 and 2021 classes that both finished in the top 14 nationally. Two of UNC’s three classes immediately prior to his arrival finished outside the top 20, even with the signing of QB Sam Howell. Galloway’s WR group finished 12th in the nation in total offense and included third-round pick Dyami Brown.
RB Coach: Brian Callahan (currently the Running Game Coordinator at Minnesota) Callahan was brought on board in P.J. Fleck’s first season as the Gophers’ head coach. Their three classes prior to his addition finished 63rd, 46th and 59th. Two of the next three seasons, Minnesota finished in the top 40 in recruiting and added first-round pick Rashod Bateman. Five of Callahan’s OL group were recognized as All-Big Ten honorable mention or better, and several are expected to be drafted in 2022.
DB Coach: David Lockwood (currently at Appalachian State) ranked as the 37th best DB coach in all of college football and doing so at App State, and an excellent recruiter on top of being a top shelf level DB coach. Upgrade to the P5 level and give him the Lead Defense Recruiter title.

Bob Lopez and Chandler Dorrell have to go - A solid Dir of Player Personnel would be Ed Orgeron

Thrown in 20+ solid transfers and with this staff bringing in top 10 recruiting classes, CU is competing for the FBS Championship by year two. Plenty of reasons this would not happen but if there is a dedication to win, putting together a staff like this is reminiscent of what Coach Mac did, focusing on recruiting coaches with talent at their position. Hiring the likes of this staff could turn things around for RG and his tenure/legacy (Dorrell could become just a blip sandwiched between MT and this staff). Again, not saying this will occur, but this would be my choice for a staff that could literally return the Buffs to Dominance almost immediately.

Donte Williams is the gem - he is listed as the #1 recruiter in the nation - moving him from USC DB coach to DC gives us a great shot and there is always Walters to help support the Defense if Williams is not quite ready for the jump to a full time DC role.
Pass the ganj. But if we’re willing to accept Petrino, why not make him the HC?

Where are you on Bronco Mendenhall? More than anything curious as to your opinion on him.

USA Today's Paul Myerberg called that a dream hire for CU.

Bronco is on top of my list for CU coaching hires. Unfortunately CU will drop the ball somewhere along the way and we get someone else.

Harsin is going to be available Sunday night. Regardless of timeline, he would be a bad hire.
I'm not saying I want him. I think we see RG waiting the 2+ months because in his mind he's going to want to see the dust settle from the season.

Back