What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU Head Coach Search Thread - Primetime

The people doing the hiring should keep Russell Wilson in mind.
Often, a sportsperson is a 'superstar', because of many factors, not just their innate abilities.
I'm for not breaking the bank on a hire.
Of course, in football you are as much concerned with a coach's image and appeal to recruits, as with his ability.

The idea of sepending 100s of $1000s on a "search team" is absurd. Every college football publication and talking head, knows who is available, what they'd bring to the table and if they'd want to come here.
Except that most coaches don't want to speak directly until the process is pretty far along. First, gauge and confirm interest through agent. Next, get aligned on the main questions/concerns/demands so that it all basically works.

Not having a search firm is like trying to buy a house without your own agent. And then some. Sure, you might be able to see what's listed as on the market, be able to see things in person and determine value on your own. But it's not your most efficient or comprehensive path.

Ding ding ding

Especially in the age of social media, ANY contact about a job opening can be really detrimental for all parties.
The only time you don't need a firm is if you're set on an internal hire. Even then, it's questionable. Did Notre Dame make the best possible hire from among the pool of candidates who would have wanted that job - if ND was looking for the guy who fit its culture and gave it the most likely path to a national championship? I don't believe so.

The only time you don't need a firm is if you're set on an internal hire. Even then, it's questionable. Did Notre Dame make the best possible hire from among the pool of candidates who would have wanted that job - if ND was looking for the guy who fit its culture and gave it the most likely path to a national championship? I don't believe so.
I guess I do not see all the hubbub about canning RG and hiring an AD and FB coach at the same time. GT did it. They jettisoned Geoff Collins and their AD on 9/26 and had a new AD by 10/14. BTW, the AD reports directly to the President. If Saliman did that, he could let Dr. Phil float in the bowl as long as Dr. Phil wanted.

What is the problem, other than CU continues its incompetent ways?

I guess I do not see all the hubbub about canning RG and hiring an AD and FB coach at the same time. GT did it. They jettisoned Geoff Collins and their AD on 9/26 and had a new AD by 10/14. BTW, the AD reports directly to the President. If Saliman did that, he could let Dr. Phil float in the bowl as long as Dr. Phil wanted.

If we are to believe the rumors that RG may be looking for employment elsewhere, it would make some financial sense to allow him to go on his own and maybe receive a contract buyout than it would be to fire him and pay out his contract. The timing is not ideal, but there is some logic to it when viewed in that light.

If we are to believe the rumors that RG may be looking for employment elsewhere, it would make some financial sense to allow him to go on his own and maybe receive a contract buyout than it would be to fire him and pay out his contract. The timing is not ideal, but there is some logic to it when viewed in that light.

If RG negotiated his contract with CU, he's gonna have to give us a lot of money when he leaves too. Win/win.

The AD reports directly to the Chancellor

I think Marshall might argue that it was the best possible hire for ND.

I’ve suddenly been overcome with a fear of impending doom. Maybe it’s because I’m beginning to get antsy. My fear is that RG will announce a really underwhelming hire.

Why wouldn't RG take his PERA retirement and go home?
Details here, but the short version is:
  • PERA payout is based upon your three highest years of pay. RG got a raise last year, so he can't maximize his payout without another two years
  • He doesn't get full PERA payout for another 4 years of service.
The longer he keeps the clock running, the better off he is.

Don’t be too harsh. Pate’s portrait says a lot.
We all know this is your background
Temptation Island Yes GIF by Videoland

Back