What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official game thread CU v csu 8/31 @7:30 pm

Did we throw deep even once after the interception? I think that after we got comfortably ahead we really went pretty conservative. So I wonder what we left in our bag of tricks for next week.

Very impressive. Looking forward to seeing how he adjusts to teams keying on Shenault. He seems to be seeing the field a lot better (fully acknowledging CSU's is terrible).
I'm very curious to see how teams try to adjust so that they key on Shenault. He was playing mostly in the slot. Will teams move their best CB into slot coverage? If so, does that mean that their CB3 is going to try to cover Winfree or KD on the outside? Chev putting Shenault into a split TE role like he has is very tough on a defensive coordinator's base scheme.

That game made me happy. Some things I expected - Laviska Shenault playing his ass off. Some things I didn’t expect...like the defensive line and line backers. Everything was a pleasant surprise though. Yes, I can’t get ahead of myself since this was CSU

I want to see this type of performance next week. The Red Sea will turn into the Dead Sea, with all of the fusker goons getting salty.

i really love the pace of play. this is as polished as they have looked, ever, in trying to go fast. that is going to put pressure on defenses and will help us with low altitude teams visiting.

csu is not good. but, that's the opener we wanted. at stinkoln will tell us a lot.

viska is a bad, bad man.

Okay. That was great and all but I’m going to try not to get too caught up in that win. It was encouraging but things can change dramatically from one game to the next in college football. A team can look like world beaters one week then get their ass kicked the next. Next week we go up against a much better opponent on the road against a team with renewed enthusiasm and a rabid fan base. The atmosphere will be intimidating and the opponent will be super hyped.

First, yes, CSU is horrible and that said:

Obvious great games by McMillan, Shenault, Nixon, Montez, etc. on offense, and Landman, Johnson, and others on defense.

Now, some offensive things that impressed me that were't as obvious as the great TDs, or tackles:

I loved the blocking by the WRs and McMillan. The WR blocking was sustained throughout the plays as well - SO much better than last year (like 2016 but better). It let Viska and KD make their moves in space and it took the pressure of the OL as it allows us to get the ball out very quickly.

Montez has learned to throw a very catchable ball now, and isn't just throwing extreme fastballs all the time. This is important with the WR screens and the quick hits up the middle. I think the 22 of 25 (with an INT and 2 drops being the only incompletions) shows just how catchable his ball was. I had read that he'd worked on this and improved on it so it was nice to see that was true, as it was obvious to me.

Let's remind Nebraska of 62-36 next weekend by giving them another long-lasting nightmare.

I'm very curious to see how teams try to adjust so that they key on Shenault. He was playing mostly in the slot. Will teams move their best CB into slot coverage? If so, does that mean that their CB3 is going to try to cover Winfree or KD on the outside? Chev putting Shenault into a split TE role like he has is very tough on a defensive coordinator's base scheme.
6 TDs, six guys. Pick your poison.

Needs to figure out where he is on the field returning punts though.;)
At times, but I also think we all need to adjust our thinking on this stuff. We now have playmakers again. You've got to want playmakers to take chances and put pressure on the opponent. Put it this way - if Jeremy Bloom could magically come back as a 20 year old player for us, if he was returning punts we'd want him to go for it any time he could field a punt with enough green in front of him to be able to make a move before getting hit. That's where I am with Blackmon. If he's got any space, I don't want to see him fair catching the ball.

At times, but I also think we all need to adjust our thinking on this stuff. We now have playmakers again. You've got to want playmakers to take chances and put pressure on the opponent. Put it this way - if Jeremy Bloom could magically come back as a 20 year old player for us, if he was returning punts we'd want him to go for it any time he could field a punt with enough green in front of him to be able to make a move before getting hit. That's where I am with Blackmon. If he's got any space, I don't want to see him fair catching the ball.

He will figure it out. I expect some touchbacks going forward.

McMillan is going to be big for us. Evans also ran very well, better than I have seen him at CU.

Need to temper those thoughts though because against that defense even Bish looked good. Glad we aren't relying on Fontenot who looked like a kid who was used to running around guys in HS with his speed. It worked some against a slow CSU team, it won't work against most P5 teams.

McElroy looked decent for CSU considering that most of the night he had no room to run.

They made a big deal about Williams as a receiver for the sheep but I thought Johnson looked more dangerous. We had a couple breakdowns in the secondary but overall our DBs did a very good job against a couple of WRs who do have the talent to play for better teams. Do not doubt the ability of MM to find CB talent. Abrams is going to be another high draft choice. Uddofia and Wigley looked better than last year as well. Scared me to see Worthington hurt but our safety depth, a big concern coming into the season, looked good.

I'd love to be excited about the OL but CSU's DL was so bad that it is hard to trust what we saw. It was good though to see some guys get significant playing time and come out healthy. It also looked like the OL coordination was much better than at this time last year. Last year we had some issues against this same CSU team and even looked bad against UNC.

The DL I will get excited about. Yes CSU doesn't have a PAC quality OL and was starting a RS-Fr at OT but I saw things from our guys that are reason to feel positive. Johnson was big at DE, shed blocks and made plays, Antwine didn't draw much attention but held his own, big from a true Fr. Lang showed an ability to disrupt. Biggest positive was smaller. Edwards is no longer a fat blob in the middle. He got penetration, he moved laterally, he tied up and shed blockers. Tuiloma looked better backing him up and Franke had some plays from both NT and DT.

Show my age but at LB Landman running around back there in #53 reminded me of watching Randy Gradishar. He hits like a train and has instincts. Wells, Lewis, and Taylor played well also. Need them all to stay healthy though because even against a bad team wasn't impressed by the LB depth.

At receiver it was of course the Shenault show but we had other guys open as well and as mentioned earlier they all blocked like crazy. Viska will continue to roll up numbers but I think this is going to be a season were we see different guys having huge games as defenses try to stop Viska and others. We still didn't see anything worth noting from the TE spot.

My mom called me this morning to ask how the game went, she likes to hear about the Buffs but she doesn’t follow football. The end of the convo made so proud. :’)

“The sad thing is, most teams haven’t even played a game yet.”

My mom: “but CSU has played twice already and lost both.”

gladbron.png
banderas.png
I’m posting about that on our CU message board.”

This made me happy and sad. Everything you said is so like my mom and the things she would do but she isn’t here anymore. Makes me miss these small moments in life.

I don’t know if it was me being pretty heavily intoxicated, but it seemed like when Chev wanted to, we were running plays at an Oregon- Chip Kelly kind of tempo. Very very impressed with the team getting set so quickly
Agree. The ability to get the WR in space with short throws near the LOS also reminded me of the Chip Kelley system. The big difference between Kelly’s system and what I saw last night was that we were not running Montez in that zone read.

Actually, it was kind of nice not to be screaming at the OC to stop running our QB 20 times a game.

Viska lined up at TE, H-back, Fullback, QB, slot..... He's bigger and stronger than any LB we will see this year and he's also very fast. It was clear by the end of the first series that Chev has been sort of downplaying this and the game plan was to unleash Shenault on the Rams.

On KD, I hadn't been extremely impressed until last night when Montez let the ball go. That play was right in front of me as I was sitting at the 20 on CUs side. KD had zero separation at the time the ball left Montez' hand. By the time KD reached out to catch what was a perfectly thrown pass, he had two steps on the CB. Overdrive. That made me a believer because that CSU corner has decent speed.

Had great seats last night cuz Izzy Antwines dad is a friend/client and got to sit 4 rows up from the 35 with the players families. Landmans parents are awesome and love hearing them cheer with their South African accents! They were obviously excited and we high fived a lot!

With my great perspective I got to see my team in a whole new way! Here are my top observations.

It was so obvious that our team is bigger and much more athletic than we've been in 16 years. Especially on offense.

Chev can do no wrong. He recruits so well and he ran an amazing gameplan. Loved how Shenault was used in multiple positions.

Assuming our OL can hold up, we will watch a record breaking offense this year.

Best all around coaching staff we've had in 20 years.

Mustafa Johnson is awkwardly awesome. He looks so unathletic but he is a bulldog!

I noticed #5 Taylor looked like a stud. But he looks more like a DB.

Worried about Worthington lasting the season..

Great kicking and punting. Something we took for granted for years but so glad to be elite at again.

I stand by my prediction of a 10 win season with this offense.

I disagree. Playmakers showing bad judgment is still bad judgment. Rick Neuheisel gets too much blame on this board, but the hallmark of his time here was great players making careless errors of judgment and writing it off as being aggressive, until we lost big games we should have won, such as michigan in 96, Ksu and nebraska in 98, etc. How aggressive does any offense look when they are buried inside their own five? Not very. How aggressive can you look sitting on the sideline because you threw a silly interception into deep coverage? How aggressive can a safety be if he gets kicked out of the game?

However, Ill take having ronnie blackmon making occasional mistakes versus having a mediocre athlete make them. But he needs to learn fast.

Thoughts on Montez? We didn’t ask him to do much outside the long run, but I was impressed with his efficiency.
It seems nuts for us to be evaluating Montez’s performance when you look at his stat line, but I guess that’s because they did not ask him to do too much. Most of the throws were short, quick, but very accurate and he hit the WR in stride. (Kiszla was right for once, it was a little like a Tom Brady game plan.)

I can only recall four passes down field: the fly to K.D. and the out to Winfree which were both absolute dimes. The curl to Viska and the INT. He was 12-12 at that point with 2 TD’s + a sweet rushing score. The pick was a come back to Earth moment.

I also don’t discount his demeanor in the post game w/Mark Johnson. Johnson asked how he would asses his own play. He was very humble, mentioned the pick, said he thought he played just OK, praised his WR’s. Even if it’s just canned answers, at least he’s maturing.

Heh. No complaints here. Glad the coaches opened up the playbooks on both sides from game one this year. Fun to watch.

I don't think they did. The Corn is going to see a much different offense than CSU saw. I assume that NU has better athletes on defense and I don't think Chev will attack the edge like he did last night. I look for a more vertical passing game.

Back