What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Non-FBS Thread

Gotta love some rivalry games this week: Just imagine a Pac-12 coach calling out AllBuffs.

Given that Madden has been around for more than 25 years, it was inevitable that there would be one coach brave enough to decide he didn't need a punter and just go for it on fourth down every time.

UNC, as expected, got whipped by Montana State 40-7. Four more FCS Top 25 teams on the schedule...yay!

Mines & CSU Pueblo had battles but won their games.

SHSU beat their rivals SFA 21-20 in a good game with their backup QB. North Dakota State reminded their rivals in Grand Forks who is boss as the Bison beat UND 16-10. EWU beat Montana in another good game between the two rivals 34-28.

Now for this week's games that I think will be good:

Northern Iowa @ NDSU
Southern Illinois @ SDSU
Delware @ Rhode Island
SE Louisana @ Nicholls
Yale @ Dartmouth
Villanova @ JMU
Jackson State @ Alabama A&M

UNC hosts Eastern Washington.

Now only if CU had a head football coach with this much emotion.

Can't wait for the CFP? Fear not since the FCS playoffs are underway and has been the last two weekends with more to come. This coming weekend's games (times MT):

Montana @ James Madison on ESPN2 @5 PM.
ETSU @ NDSU on ESPN @10 AM.
SDSU @ Villanova on ESPN+ @12 PM.
Montana State @ SHSU on ESPN+ @6:30 PM.

Going to be the last FCS playoffs for JMU & SHSU as they are starting their transition to FBS after they are done with the playoffs.

I'm rooting for JMU here but early on it looks like NDSU is on their way to yet another FCS championship. This will probably be their toughest test since #1 Sam Houston got knocked out last week

I'm rooting for JMU here but early on it looks like NDSU is on their way to yet another FCS championship. This will probably be their toughest test since #1 Sam Houston got knocked out last week
JMU giving them a battle. A couple of good red zone defensive series but NDSU is still up by 13 and eventually are likely to wear JMU down.

Montana State and SDSU tomorrow…who are you rooting for?
Montana State. It's big win over Sam Houston was an eye opener. Both good programs. Both will have a guy drafted this year. BTW, NDSU's one loss this year was to SDSU. Hard game to pick, if I was betting I'd take MSU and the 5.5 points.

SDSU's NFL guy will be the RB and MSU's will be the LB. Rounds 3-5. Forgot their names at the moment...

Tommy Mellott, Montana State QB true Freshman (from Butte) goes 10 for 15, 233 yds, 2TDs passing and runs the ball 34 times for 155 yards and 2 TDs in the Bobcats win over South Dakota State. He's hogging all the fun.....

South Carolina State blows out Deion Sanders' Jackson State squad to win Celebration Bowl.

Morningside "returns to dominance" with an NAIA title.

Last edited:
We are about 100 days out from college football kicking off and despite the dumpster fire in Boulder, I'm still looking forward to some football so I did a little search and found a Preseason FCS Top 25 ranking. Keep in mind NDSU plays at Arizona this fall and I hope UA fans will not declare NDSU the better bison/buffalo team this year over CU (wishful thinking at this point). Given the sucktiude of FBS football on the Front Range, it might be surprising that there is only one FCS team in Greeley coached by someone who is known for his mustard.

I like how four teams from Montana/Dakota are in the top four (NDSU, SDSU, MSU, and UM). Bobby Petrino...yes that Bobby...has Missouri State at #6 and will he ride (on a motorcycle with a young hottie in tow) another good season to a FBS opening this December? I think Sam Houston State is ranked too high because it's a transition season for them as they are moving to FBS next year. Jackson State is #19 and I think they will keep climbing because this is Neon Deion's third year in Jackson plus maybe Nick Saban lit a fire under them with those comments towards JSU and Texas A&M.

The ASUN and WAC will have their special thing again this year due to SHSU and Jacksonville State being ineligible for the FCS playoffs this year due to their pending FBS move. With James Madison playing in the Sun Belt Conference this year, it's going to be fun to see which teams take over for those powers that have left.

And yes, Dixie State is now Utah Tech.

I'll let Mtn do the D2 stuff here even if it is just the RMAC.

We are about 100 days out from college football kicking off and despite the dumpster fire in Boulder, I'm still looking forward to some football so I did a little search and found a Preseason FCS Top 25 ranking. Keep in mind NDSU plays at Arizona this fall and I hope UA fans will not declare NDSU the better bison/buffalo team this year over CU (wishful thinking at this point). Given the sucktiude of FBS football on the Front Range, it might be surprising that there is only one FCS team in Greeley coached by someone who is known for his mustard.

I like how four teams from Montana/Dakota are in the top four (NDSU, SDSU, MSU, and UM). Bobby Petrino...yes that Bobby...has Missouri State at #6 and will he ride (on a motorcycle with a young hottie in tow) another good season to a FBS opening this December? I think Sam Houston State is ranked too high because it's a transition season for them as they are moving to FBS next year. Jackson State is #19 and I think they will keep climbing because this is Neon Deion's third year in Jackson plus maybe Nick Saban lit a fire under them with those comments towards JSU and Texas A&M.

The ASUN and WAC will have their special thing again this year due to SHSU and Jacksonville State being ineligible for the FCS playoffs this year due to their pending FBS move. With James Madison playing in the Sun Belt Conference this year, it's going to be fun to see which teams take over for those powers that have left.

Utah Tech is a very smart rebrand.

Without knowing much about the school, I think "STEM focused degree in Utah" when I hear "Utah Tech University". When I hear "Dixie State" I think "degree from some small southern school that rues the day Jim Crow ended".

An absolutely horrible academic school with no concerns about who they let in if it helps drive the success of their athletic programs. That's ALL they care about. Joke school.

Utah Tech is a very smart rebrand.

Without knowing much about the school, I think "STEM focused degree in Utah" when I hear "Utah Tech University". When I hear "Dixie State" I think "degree from some small southern school that rues the day Jim Crow ended".

Funny thing was that Utah Poly was considered...just imagine the endless jokes with that.

I agree about the Dixie label in a place like Utah...it just doesn't make sense.

An absolutely horrible academic school with no concerns about who they let in if it helps drive the success of their athletic programs. That's ALL they care about. Joke school.

Not sure what school you are referring to but I don't think Utah Tech students have to deal with the smell coming from a nearby meatpacking plant like in Greeley.

Funny thing was that Utah Poly was considered...just imagine the endless jokes with that.

I agree about the Dixie label in a place like Utah...it just doesn't make sense.

Not sure what school you are referring to but I don't think Utah Tech students have to deal with the smell coming from a nearby meatpacking plant like in Greeley.
Not sure what UNC has to do with the fact Dixie Utah State Tech is a terrible academic institution. It's a glorified JUCO.

Not sure what UNC has to do with the fact Dixie Utah State Tech is a terrible academic institution. It's a glorified JUCO.

Boise State has done just fine being a glorified JUCO...maybe Utah Tech will hit it big in football going forward.

Boise St has Boise and the entire state of Idaho. Utah Tech has the 7th largest metro area in Utah.

Boise State has come to dominate Idaho as "the team" by way of tons of continual success, sort like Gonzaga basketball (which was unknown and generally irrelevant until the mid-90s, and once played in the Big Sky). From '99 on, BSU's been a winner and really haven't stopped. Given the lack of academic and athletic pedigree that school had, it's almost unbelievable.

The U of Idaho's free fall in football has been an unbelievable half-century plus of negative trajectory. They once played in the Pacific Coast Conference, the forerunner to the Pac-8/10/12. Now they're, as you mention, not even the most popular team in Idaho. Growth of Boise certainly helps BSU... I guess my point is that a glorified JuCo can will itself into being a market leader, irrespective of history. But I doubt Utah Tech will.

Prediction for 24 team FCS playoffs this year. Going to be interesting without James Madison, Jacksonville State, and Sam Houston State in the playoffs since they are transitioning to FBS ball.

Getting that CFB itch this week and I'm just going to post the preseason Top 25 polls for FCS & D2

FCS

Pretty simple to do the FCS poll this year when it comes to the Top 5: Two Dakota schools with "State" in their name, Two Montana schools, and one random school.

D2

Mines #4
Western CO #17

Receiving Votes

CSU Pueblo #42
Chadron State #50
Colorado Mesa #52

Back