What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

I’m seeing that Texas and OU are potentially shopping themselves around to see what is available. Ultimately the biggest factor at play is money and I actually think the PAC 12 and Kliavkoff might have the best pitch to give in that aspect. Texas and OU are likely stuck in the big 12 until 2025, if the pac 12 had a commitment from them to join it gives us a giant bargaining chip four our media rights and it gives both schools a seat at the table in negotiating those rights that they wouldn’t get with another conference. Also long term, I think the move to the SEC would regionalize college football to a point that could potentially make it irrelevant. They might not care now but long term that hurts the prospect of money in the future. With them in the pac 12 it generates interest out west while the sec and big 10 keep the other parts of the country tuned in. With those brands more tied to California it also would generate a lot more opportunities for NIL to get Hollywood and Silicon Valley money. On a lesser note, Austin is one of the faster growing tech cities in the country and even though cultural fit might not be the first thing these schools are looking at, they fit a lot better in the PAC than the sec.
Not sure, culturally, Austin is any different than Boulder.

FWIW you are starting to see some articles come out that Colorado is one of the few viable and appealing B1G expansion targets outside of KU and ISU, but there are doubts that the B1G would want to raid their long term P12 partners.

FWIW you are starting to see some articles come out that Colorado is one of the few viable and appealing B1G expansion targets outside of KU and ISU, but there are doubts that the B1G would want to raid their long term P12 partners.
Also. Responding to the SEC adding texas and OU by adding CU and another school would not do anything for them.

No. I think the B1G is going to make a run at poaching ND and a few full member ACC schools (likely UNC, UVA and GT).

I agree that the B1G will make another run at ND but I think that when ND finally joins a conference it will be the ACC. And I seriously doubt UNC would leave the ACC.

I agree that the B1G will make another run at ND but I think that when ND finally joins a conference it will be the ACC. And I seriously doubt UNC would leave the ACC.
Everything is on the table with this latest move by texas and OU. Everything we thought would restrict movement has to be thrown out the window because the other conferences are going to be very desperate to try and keep up. Also have to wonder if there is a long term plan to start adding the elite teams from every conference over time until a super conference is formed which could lead to some interesting battles between the big 10 and the sec to try and poach teams and the ACC would be right in the cross hairs.

Do you have any links? I’ve only ever seen CU to BIG mentioned in AllBuffs discussions.
As for another school - I would vote ISU; hells no to KU.

People hoping for CU to join the B1G is pretty funny to me. We constantly complain that we are not competitive, and our school doesn't care enough about winning...and this is in a conference that we actually are a good "cultural fit". We would become and absolute doormat if we joined the B1G as it is currently constituted.

Honestly it’s starting to feel like the B1G and P12 might need to explore restarting that strategic alliance and possibly even pooling their tv rights if they want to stay relevant. Have the PAC add a couple of schools in the Texas footprint and then expand their cross scheduling. In a streaming world appealing content is going to be king since the cable market is shrinking and the cable companies have tamped down hard on the RSNs. Leagues aren’t going to be able to afford to schedule cupcakes, they will need as many appealing matchups as possible to drive streaming viewership.
B1G is doing fine on their own.

Texass destroys all it touches. Is the $EC big enough to keep them in their corner? LHN coming along?

If CU has a chance to move to the B1G should they?

I'll also re-iterate that I think the best move for the ACC is convince Notre Dame and Penn State to join together as full members

Texass destroys all it touches. Is the $EC big enough to keep them in their corner? LHN coming along?

If CU has a chance to move to the B1G should they?
What I will find interesting is how Texas handles NOT being the big dog in a conference and finishing middle of the pack routinely. When OSU/TT/Baylor/TCU made runs, it was lightning in a bottle…not the norm. Dealing Bama, UF, UGA, LSU, Auburn…this could get ugly for them.

People hoping for CU to join the B1G is pretty funny to me. We constantly complain that we are not competitive, and our school doesn't care enough about winning...and this is in a conference that we actually are a good "cultural fit". We would become and absolute doormat if we joined the B1G as it is currently constituted.

Meh. Money talks. Midnight Mel doesn't sign with Sparty if CU's in the B10--because we would've been able to pay up.

the VT board has a poster who says he's been hearing rumors that CU and "some other Pac schools" have been in discussion w/ the B1G for months, but he's not citing sources.
Interesting.

I think that Nebraska game in 2019 was a massive awakening for the CU admin. That game was an absolute financial bonanza for the AD and School. Getting that game every other year would be massive along with how well the BIG travels, it makes sense.

I've wanted CU to the BIG for the last few years but if they were to pull this off, I think that would crush how big of a move this would be compared to the move to the Pac.

Everything is on the table with this latest move by texas and OU. Everything we thought would restrict movement has to be thrown out the window because the other conferences are going to be very desperate to try and keep up. Also have to wonder if there is a long term plan to start adding the elite teams from every conference over time until a super conference is formed which could lead to some interesting battles between the big 10 and the sec to try and poach teams and the ACC would be right in the cross hairs.

Yea if things get really crazy then I'm sure that would be a possibility

Meh. Money talks. Midnight Mel doesn't sign with Sparty if CU's in the B10--because we would've been able to pay up.
MSU cares about winning, like most schools in the B1G. That's my only point. The money would be nice, sure, but would you honestly expect CU to start behaving in a way that would allow us to be competitive in the B1G?

A VT board is definitely where I'd go for P12 and B1G realignment news.
put it that way, sure. but there's about a dozen very active posters there who follow realignment news closely. one of the biggest contributors is a ND alum with some connection to their AD. techsideline.com has had a dedicated "conference realignment" forum for over a decade. The only forum I've seen that more actively discusses realignment over that time was landtheives, but that's dead now.

that being said, the poster referencing CU isn't among the more credible and like I said, isn't citing sources.

if you have other sources active with good content on the subject, please inform. it's a topic I'm fascinated with.

Back