What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

Going to the B1G would be a gift from the universe that Colorado probably doesn’t deserve. Our recruiting is already horrible. Recruiting players to what would be one of the best places in the conference will be made easier once we have the money to hire coaches who can do work on the trail.

Yes.

I am dead serious when I say CU would shock people with Big Ten money.

A well-financed CU football program can recruit California and Texas effectively without even playing in those states regularly. Get the right recruiters with that BIG money, drop a few bags (nothing crazy), and look out.
Wasn't Meat supposed to do that in Cali?

Get the **** out of here with this nonsense. Let's stop talking about culture fits and ****ty road trips. ****braska is more of a rival than pretty much anybody in the Pac 12 is for CU. If we get a B1G invite, we need to accept it-regardless of what USC or anybody else in the Pac 12 does.

Dodd mentions CU here-the idea that the B1G's push west includes LA, Seattle, and maybe Portland but not Denver (IDGAF about Phoenix) seems a little odd.

I don't know how we keep getting invited to the cool parties but I'm not complaining

1. What were we making with our 3rd tier TV stuff on FOX College Sports and the old Big 12 tv deals? There's no way its even close to what we make now as a Pac 12 member. So yeah-this move was about money over academic culture or alumni bases.
- If that were the case Texas and OU would have left too. I get that it's easy to cherry pick to prove your point but I could just as easily do the same by picking schools that didn't bolt to conferences offering more money. Money is a huge consideration, but to say that's the ONLY reason A&M and CU left is just not correct.... otherwise every other $$ programs would have left too or conferences would have invited them. Of course, money plays a huge part and will continue to do so, but it's not the end all - is my point.

2. Aggie makes more off the SEC's tv deals now than they did when they left the Big 12. That was all about money, just like that "we're mad as hell and won't do a damn thing about it" statement A&M's president put out over the weekend. Last thing here-if they're done getting pushed around by big brother and wanted out, the Pac 12 would offer them membership tomorrow. Why? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
- see above. And LARRY SCOTT would, who is an idiot. Pac 12 still probably would but had to get the shot in at the expense of Larry Scott.

3. In a roundabout way, we killed the Big 12 when we ended ****braska football's glory years 20 years ago in November. If the Nubs had continued to win in the early 21st century like they did in the 90s, UT doesn't get the cache to pull the "bend the knee" kind of stuff they have over the last decade. (ESPN still thinks ****braska is a bit of a brand-they did send GameDay/Fowler to Lincoln in 2019 for a 41 point loss to Ohio State that everybody outside of Lincoln knew was coming).
- not sure what your point is here

4. You bet they would-but the SEC doesn't want them. The ACC's TV deals are as bad as ours are. That's why Wetzel/Thamel brought up some sort of partnership between the ACC and P12 even though that makes no geographic sense.
- The SEC doesn't want Duke and UNC?? LOL. I'm guessing you think they also don't want Clemson. I can tell you first hand many many people in ACC, including many Clemson fans, want nothing to do with the SEC and are perfectly content where they are. If it were truly about money, Clemson would be gone yesterday. Yet they seem intent on sticking around... hmm

5. I know. Still not up to him, dumb***.

In all seriousness, I'm just pushing back and tone seems harsher than it needs to be. Would prefer not fighting on internet board.

Let's have some fun then-On #2, think of the trash talk material with A&M though lol. So much material with them over money and Texas. Its awesome.

On #3-You talked about the culture of the Big 12. Texas could not have pulled off getting subservience from 9 schools off back then because they weren't dominating the Big 12 like they do now-the north schools (Nebraska, us, and to a lesser extent K-State) were. We joke about NU not having been the same since 2001-but the track record that program has been on makes that truth.....They've played for......2 conference championships since then?

I bring them getting GameDay in 2019 up because it shows ESPN thinks they're a brand still. Had that game not happened, 2010's realignment doesn't happen because Nebraska carried the league they were in. If Texas had wanted to join the SEC in 1998 say, the response would have been something like "See ya!" because the other schools know they'd have been fine.

I don't know how we keep getting invited to the cool parties but I'm not complaining

Geography does matter to an extent I think-We are essentially in the Denver metro area as a school. CU football games were/are appointment television for even Jim Benemann (most famous CSU grad I can think of) when CU's nationally relevant. Another angle here-especially in terms of a C2C Big 10 might be the economics involved with non-revenue sports. Denver's an easy plane flight from the west coast and most of the Big 10. Boulder would be really popular with any current Big 10 fanbase.

Last edited:
Supposedly the new Big 8 is forming an expansion committee. If they manage to stay together pretty sure they’d be considered a no vote on playoff expansion considering that initiative is probably what made Texas and OU comfortable with this move.

Also have to wonder if multiple losses are suddenly going to be more acceptable for ranking teams by the media since presumably the SEC will finally be playing 9 conference games.

Supposedly the new Big 8 is forming an expansion committee. If they manage to stay together pretty sure they’d be considered a no vote on playoff expansion considering that initiative is probably what made Texas and OU comfortable with this move.
Even with more teams, that conference is still irrelevant. They’re the Randolph and Mortimer Duke of conferences (right after they get hustled by Billy Ray and Louis and are facing the margin call).

Disagree, but don't think there's much I can do to convince you otherwise. *Some schools and conferences care about branding and saying otherwise would be admitting football and media deals have come to surpass any notion of an academic institution. Which might be the case, but I'm still skeptical we've reached that point. Worst case scenario, CU and Pac stand pat and wait for PAC - B1G merger in a few years. I just don't understand the thinking here that culture and fit mean nothing when were talking status quo vs. bolting just to get stomped for the sake of $40m or so over a few years.
Or continue to get stomped for less money…and not be able to use more money to get better.

1. Car
  2. Virginity
  3. college degree
  4. engagement
  5. marriage
  6. child
  7. child

I dont see conference realignment even in the top 10.

In fact, Im pretty much totally opposed to moving to the B1G. Sure its more money. But thats it. From there it mostly a collection of forgotten potholes from the bygone Industrial Revolution that have a lot of republicans and no innovation or optimism. Like worse than the Big 8. I used to live there. No thanks.
Notice I said “for me” as I live in that bygone forgotten pothole and would love to have the buffs regularly playing in close proximity to me, you Virgin.

Also have to wonder if multiple losses are suddenly going to be more acceptable for ranking teams by the media since presumably the SEC will finally be playing 9 conference games.
Not a chance in hell. At four teams the Big 8 has as much chance or less than the current Pac 12 of making the playoffs. They'll absolutely vote to expand so that they feel at least one team from their conference can make it each year.

Not a chance in hell. At four teams the Big 8 has as much chance or less than the current Pac 12 of making the playoffs. They'll absolutely vote to expand so that they feel at least one team from their conference can make it each year.
Lol the leftovers have a way smaller chance of making the 4 team playoff than the pac 12, come on now that conference is shot and each school is looking at an annual decrease in revenue of around 25 million in just tv money. They can try to expand but it would be pretty pointless from a power conference standpoint and schools would leave in a heartbeat if another offer came. The thing the big 12 is going to hurt by is that they are not going to make much more than the AAC so expansion could be tough and that is if no teams leave.

Going to the B1G would be a gift from the universe that Colorado probably doesn’t deserve. Our recruiting is already horrible. Recruiting players to what would be one of the best places in the conference will be made easier once we have the money to hire coaches who can do work on the trail.
Yes.

I am dead serious when I say CU would shock people with Big Ten money.

Getting $10-15 million more a year should raise our hiring ability. It those folks can’t get it done, at least we’ll get beat by some good teams.
Also have to wonder if moving to the B1G might provoke a culture change in the CU attitude towards football.

PAC12 has a lot of schools that can't decide how good they want to be at football. Winning NCs in gymnastics, tennis, water polo, and yes cross country is great but being to good at football is somehow a negative.

B1G has some highly respected universities that somehow accomplish that while trying to win football games.

As this point I’m really interested to see if fox is willing to pay for the pac 12 adding texas schools (TCU, houston, SMU and TTU) because they just lost their only power conference games in the state. Are they willing to eat a little money in the short term to grow their presence and ratings with those schools or do they just focus on the markets they already have. They seem a lot more reluctant to invest the money in live rights that espn is the last couple of years but maybe this is a breaking point for them since espn basically ****ed them over.

Also have to wonder if moving to the B1G might provoke a culture change in the CU attitude towards football.

PAC12 has a lot of schools that can't decide how good they want to be at football. Winning NCs in gymnastics, tennis, water polo, and yes cross country is great but being to good at football is somehow a negative.

B1G has some highly respected universities that somehow accomplish that while trying to win football games.
I don't see it happening here. Outside of members of this board, Coloradans don't seem interested in watching sports not played by millionaires.

Lol the leftovers have a way smaller chance of making the 4 team playoff than the pac 12, come on now that conference is shot and each school is looking at an annual decrease in revenue of around 25 million in just tv money. They can try to expand but it would be pretty pointless from a power conference standpoint and schools would leave in a heartbeat if another offer came. The thing the big 12 is going to hurt by is that they are not going to make much more than the AAC so expansion could be tough and that is if no teams leave.
? I don't disagree with anything you said. My point was no way in hell the Big 8 vote down playoff expansion.

I’m surprised you want to be associated with schools like Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, and MSU. All have had really bad sexual abuse scandals. Why the change in attitude?

Getting $10-15 million more a year should raise our hiring ability. It those folks can’t get it done, at least we’ll get beat by some good teams.
I understand that part. I guess I question whether or not CU would ever support spending that kind of money on a CFB staff. Maybe it’s easier with all the money in the AD, but the political fighting over approval would be nauseating at best.

Back