What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

The problem hokie is that you put way more thought into things than the average college sports fan, especially college sports fans on message boards.
Based on some of the posters here that isn't exactly a high bar to exceed. Then I look at the message boards of some of our "rivals" (think green or red) and see the standard set even lower. ;)

What? When was I gonna be informed of this ****ing bull****? Hokie, go to Austin sometime, you'll change your mind.

Thread that essentially dispels the thought of any ACC teams being poached or the B1G expanding (specific numbers used as reasons). He does believe the Pac 12 is in position to expand or more likely, have a scheduling deal/merger of some sort w the B1G.

Thread that essentially dispels the thought of any ACC teams being poached or the B1G expanding (specific numbers used as reasons). He does believe the Pac 12 is in position to expand or more likely, have a scheduling deal/merger of some sort w the B1G.

There would be lawyers. Lots of them. And I'd be careful with definite statements in such cases.

Thamel seems to think OU/UT may just stay a little longer as there’s little incentive to force the move while CBS still controls the SEC rights.

I think this is one where we need to snip a small section for those that won’t click through...wow!

“This one story in particular is fascinating, as Clark said, “I had two occurrences with Coach Miles. My first was a phone call with him. It lasted over 30 minutes. He told me how good of a football coach I was and told me how he wanted to recruit our kids since we were the power house of Kansas. I could tell he was reading from a piece of paper. He went through his sales pitch, I then asked him a question about how he was liking Kansas University, and obviously he said he loved it. He paused… and then he started reading the same notes over and we went through the same conversation again, word for word. It was very weird. The next time I listened to him was at our Kansas High School Coaches Association clinic. I can’t tell you how embarrassed I was for Kansas University. The talk revolved around his Dr. Pepper commercial and how dumb his kids were. It was embarrassing.”
Honestly, it sounds like CTE.

Don't think UT & OU are staying two years. Goes against precedent when it comes to the Big 12. CU & NU played just one more season in the Big 12. Texas A&M got into the SEC 10 months after its announcement and Mizzou just needed eight months.

CBS has a contract for 2022 & 2023? No big deal. ESPN can just pay OU & UT for their non-sports home games to be on ESPN+ and their premium home football games can be PPV events which ESPN+ has with their UFC major events. If every OU & UT football game was priced at $9.99 each on ESPN+, they will be able to make enough to get through those two years. OU has SoonerSports.tv and if 250,000 OU fans subscribe for a full year, that's $30M right there. Same 250K paying $9.99 for OU home football games would be able to add another $18M for a grand total of $48M in that case which would be more than what they were making in the Big 12. That is not accounting for any potential financial loans.

OU & UT can get loans from the SEC and even $70M per year in the upcoming ESPN deal would be basically double of what they were earning in the Big 12 and would have no problems paying that off over a decade. Both ADs didn't have to rely on their schools for the money for so many years and the schools would be happy to lend some money in that case. They don't have the same level of sports apathy that UC-Boulder has.

Family from OK were longtime OU Touchdown Club members FWIW. Their heads would blow if they saw how much OU home football tickets cost these days and how much they are going to cost for SEC football.

Kansas City is actually a pretty nice city now a days. Used to be a dump but I was pleasantly surprised last time
Maybe it is, I always enter the state coming from the west, and by the time I get to Salina, I can't take it anymore and I turn south for the relative promised land of Oklahoma.

I'm struggling with this "bonghorns" nickname. The implication that UT students are bigger stoners than CU studenta doesn't match my perception of the two student bodies.
220px-Ricky_Williams_February_2020.jpg

Maybe it is, I always enter the state coming from the west, and by the time I get to Salina, I can't take it anymore and I turn south for the relative promised land of Oklahoma.
Which is funny, because right around Salina is where the State of Kansas starts to suck just a little less.

Which is funny, because right around Salina is where the State of Kansas starts to suck just a little less.

Meh. Last time I drove through KS, it never stopped sucking til we got to about 15 miles of the state line, and really MO sucked too until we turned south and got close to AR.

NW AR is really cool, until you remember you're in AR.

The idea that FSU and Clemson don't move the needle for the SEC is wild, but believable. SEC already has a presence in both states, so is adding two more teams from SC and FL, regardless of how good they are, actually good from a $$ standpoint?
It makes sense only if you’re trying to corner the CFB market.
If I’m Kentucky, MSU, Arkansas, South Carolina or Vanderbilt, I’ll checking my own options. Bottom feeders gonna bottom feed, but if you add Clemson and FSU to the mix, you have a very top heavy conference.

if it happens, I think it pushes the B1G to really look closely at a PAC merger with ND added in. That’s the only thing you can do to compete with a monster like what the SEC is becoming.

It makes sense only if you’re trying to corner the CFB market.
If I’m Kentucky, MSU, Arkansas, South Carolina or Vanderbilt, I’ll checking my own options. Bottom feeders gonna bottom feed, but if you add Clemson and FSU to the mix, you have a very top heavy conference.

if it happens, I think it pushes the B1G to really look closely at a PAC merger with ND added in. That’s the only thing you can do to compete with a monster like what the SEC is becoming.
Adding OU and UT pretty much seals the deal for the SEC being the premier conference. Only what you describe with the B1G taking the P12 cream (or the whole lot) and adding ND is any kind of counterbalance. The ACC just doesn't have the horses to compete at a conference level. Clemson will compete, maybe FSU, but the SEC will dominate if nobody makes a move.

they would provide inventory that people would watch. If all that matters is eyeballs now instead of geography, I'd be surprised they don't add value.
But the SEC already gets the Florida and SC subscriber fees for the non-cord cutters, so Clemson and FSU would have to bring so much more value through streaming, otherwise they are just diluting the per program payouts.

Also, is the SEC really going to add Clemson and force Bama, Florida, Georgia, OU, UT, etc to battle it out just for the conference championship? The only way further blue bloods to the SEC makes sense from a competitive standpoint is if they are just trying to edge everyone else out and plan on playing an All-SEC schedule and annointing the winner of the SEC as the National Champion

Florida state doesn’t have a massive fanbase compared to most sec schools but I am surprised Clemson wouldn’t work, they own the Charlotte market

Florida state doesn’t have a massive fanbase compared to most sec schools but I am surprised Clemson wouldn’t work, they own the Charlotte market
But the SEC doesn't get those Charlotte (and all of North Carolina) subscriber fees automatically. Clemson would obviously bring a heavy regional audience, but is it enough to add the kind of value that makes sense for the SEC to do it? Especially when you consider Clemson and Bama would then be competing for the same CONFERENCE title, not to mention Georgia, Florida, Auburn, OU, UT, etc all taking a back seat in their own conference competitively?

Back