What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

But the SEC doesn't get those Charlotte (and all of North Carolina) subscriber fees automatically. Clemson would obviously bring a heavy regional audience, but is it enough to add the kind of value that makes sense for the SEC to do it? Especially when you consider Clemson and Bama would then be competing for the same CONFERENCE title, not to mention Georgia, Florida, Auburn, OU, UT, etc all taking a back seat in their own conference competitively?
Again, it only makes sense if the SEC is playing a long game to try to re-make college football in such a way that they control it completely.
I don’t think the OU/UT additions are having the impact they expected. Their calculus on this was flawed. The SEC tends to believe the college football world revolves around them. To a certain extent, it does - but they don’t control it all. The parts they don’t control are kind of pissed off at them at the moment.

But the SEC doesn't get those Charlotte (and all of North Carolina) subscriber fees automatically. Clemson would obviously bring a heavy regional audience, but is it enough to add the kind of value that makes sense for the SEC to do it? Especially when you consider Clemson and Bama would then be competing for the same CONFERENCE title, not to mention Georgia, Florida, Auburn, OU, UT, etc all taking a back seat in their own conference competitively?
Were all assuming these games stay on regular ESPN. What if these moves are designed for moving all the SEC content behind the pay wall? $X a month ps (streaming) > $Y a month ps (set top box)?

Were all assuming these games stay on regular ESPN. What if these moves are designed for moving all the SEC content behind the pay wall? $X a month ps (streaming) > $Y a month ps (set top box)?
Then they are OK with missing a ton of eyeballs in the western and northeastern areas (aka, the biggest media markets) of the country. A PPV model is not going to work for CFB

Then they are OK with missing a ton of eyeballs in the western and northeastern areas (aka, the biggest media markets) of the country. A PPV model is not going to work for CFB
Maybe. But with UT and aTm in the fold, the SEC now owns Texas, the HTown and DFW markets with it. While Okie is no prize, they own that too. The SEC is a lot stronger now than before. How far that takes them, who knows?

As much as I freaking hate this - I think Notre Dame just might be the lynchpin to all of this maneuvering. They’re going to have to eventually pick a side. Based on their history, I just don’t see them choosing to associate themselves with the SEC.

The way this is starting to look right now is that the SEC will take on the top end of the ACC (Clemson, FSU, Miami), the B1G will make a move for ND. UNC and UVA and Duke become embroiled in a weird tug of war. Those three schools are far more culturally aligned with the B1G than they are with the SEC. but money talks, and bull**** walks.

meanwhile, way out West, we sit here with our hat in our hands hoping the chips fall in such a way that we aren’t totally ****ed.

This creates a fantastic opportunity for the B1G/Pac12 (remnants) if the SEC really turns down FSU and Clemson.

Maybe. But with UT and aTm in the fold, the SEC now owns Texas, the HTown and DFW markets with it. While Okie is no prize, they own that too. The SEC is a lot stronger now than before. How far that takes them, who knows?
I"m saying a PPV per game won't work. The SEC can consolidate with all these blue bloods and then ESPN can make the entire conference schedule a subscription, but again, that will just remove eyeballs and make their revenue model subscription based, and not centered around advertising revenue (which won't happen).

people tide GIF

I"m saying a PPV per game won't work. The SEC can consolidate with all these blue bloods and then ESPN can make the entire conference schedule a subscription, but again, that will just remove eyeballs and make their revenue model subscription based, and not centered around advertising revenue (which won't happen).
I think you are probably right. My only point is the SEC is positioning itself to get a bigger piece of the pie. Whatever form that pie may take.

I continue to be perplexed at any rumor that includes Florida State, as some kind of desirable school. When were they last relevant? 2016, when Jimbo left. They had 6-7 good years with Jimbo, but they sucked 6 years before then, and have sucked 6 years since then.

I went to a Clemson-Maryland game in College Park and the Clemson fans pretty much filled out the upper deck at that stadium. That was back in the early 2000's when they were not at where they are right now. That school is close to I-85 which connects Atlanta to Charlotte and also that school is in the middle of those two cities and around 9 to 10 million people. That's more people than the DFW Metroplex.

Getting FSU & Clemson out of the ACC will be at least as damaging to the ACC as getting OU & UT out of the Big 12 will be to the Big 12.

Getting FSU & Clemson out of the ACC will be at least as damaging to the ACC as getting OU & UT out of the Big 12 will be to the Big 12.
And there you have it. If this happens, it’s merely a means to an end. First, kill off the B12, then the ACC. Let the remaining teams twist in the wind and hope for a lifeline from the PAC or B1G.

As much as I freaking hate this - I think Notre Dame just might be the lynchpin to all of this maneuvering. They’re going to have to eventually pick a side. Based on their history, I just don’t see them choosing to associate themselves with the SEC.

The way this is starting to look right now is that the SEC will take on the top end of the ACC (Clemson, FSU, Miami), the B1G will make a move for ND. UNC and UVA and Duke become embroiled in a weird tug of war. Those three schools are far more culturally aligned with the B1G than they are with the SEC. but money talks, and bull**** walks.

meanwhile, way out West, we sit here with our hat in our hands hoping the chips fall in such a way that we aren’t totally ****ed.
It may very well be, in fact is likely, that despite the denials there are and have been significant talks behind the scenes that will determine what college football looks like in the future.

Notre Dame very well may be the big piece that determines the final outcome.

One direction may be that the SEC along with ESPN/ABC is looking to create a semi-pro super conference and freeze everyone else out. They would ideally have the current SEC members, maybe minus a couple who don't want to take football that far, plus cherry pick the other P5 conferences for tOhioState, Penn State, Michigan, Wisconsin, the fuskers. Out of the ACC they take Clemson, FSU, UNC, UVA, Miami. From the PAC they grab SC, UW, the Ducks, UCLA or an Arizona school.

Those school form divisions and play for spots in the SEC playoffs which gets treated as the national championship.

If ND decides to stay out of that alliance and the B1G schools don't leave then some or all of the ACC schools don't go as well.

This give you enough power to dispute SEC claims to the national championship and controls enough of the TV markets to keep significant money coming in.

Don't ever count on ND putting anything ahead of money though. Remember that this is the program that hired Lou Holtz who left every other program he ever coached at on probation.

And there you have it. If this happens, it’s merely a means to an end. First, kill off the B12, then the ACC. Let the remaining teams twist in the wind and hope for a lifeline from the PAC or B1G.

Yep. That's also why the B1G has been doing the rounds on GT, UNC, and UVA. If the B1G can get those schools and merge with the P12, you got a super conference that covers most of the country except for the SE USA running from DFW to Atlanta. That might be after the P12 gets OSU and three TX schools.

This is all part of The Great Game between Disney and FOX when it comes to college sports.

What out of state school has the highest number of alums in Texas? 🤔

I guess I do not see Clemson and FSU going to the SEC. I think the next move will be out of the Big 10. I, like many others here, hope that CU can become part of the Big 10. Right now the Big 12 is in shambles with no real attractive programs left other than Baylor and OSU -and those are mid-tier attractive. The PAC 12, IMO, has never lived up to expectations either financially or recruiting wise. unfortunately CU is not all that attractive, other than the Denver TV market. The real Gem of the PAC 12 is USC.

I disagree.

The two examples Ill cite is that NBC started moving the best EPL games last season behind the pay wall at Peacock. I thought there would be people up in arms. But no, they just signed up. So much so that NBC has decided to take their cable channel NBCSN completely off the air on cable and satellite. That says something about fans willingness to pay.

When I signed up for Sling 2-3 years ago I could watch all 5 major European soccer leagues. Now im down to 1.5 next year after ESPN+ added La Liga on top of taking Serie A and Bundesliga. La Liga bought out the last 3 years left in the BeIn deal and is going to go completely behind a paywall in order to get more viewers.

The highest part of everyones cable bill goes to disney/abc/espn. Dish, DTV, Comcast et al have been trying to hold those carriage fees down while ESPn wants theM to go up and up and up. Because thats whats businesses do. But set top always fought those efforts. Then the Cord Cutting phenomenon started and set top started to get pulled in both directions. Now ESPN is making the moves to streaming because they are making less each year from set top.

I think its foolish to believe that SEC content will NOT move more and more behind the wall on ESPN+ because they know that will make people sign up.

When college football started down this road decades ago they learned that sports on TV got them two things; name recognition outside their region. And out of state students. Will the pay wall still serve that benefit? Does it even matter?

Last edited:
More or less this, @Jens1893 ... Schools sign these GOR contracts specifically for this reason, so trying to sue their way out of it seems pretty far fetched.

The Grant of Rights will make it extremely difficult for any team to leave the ACC

The grant of rights works like this: if a school wants to leave the ACC, it would have to pay $26 million (the average annual cost of the media deal) times the number of years remaining on the TV contract.

So if the Big Ten wanted UNC or the SEC wanted Clemson after the 2021 football season, it would cost $390 million. The Big Ten and SEC have a lot of money, but it wouldn’t make financial sense to steal an ACC team at that price.

The Grant of Rights will make it extremely difficult for any team to leave the ACC

Correct, and people are just saying, oh throw the lawyers at them to get out of it. Not going to happen when these deals were structures specifically for this scenario

Maybe add them while dropping Miss State & Vandy If it's about the money.
That’d be the only way it makes sense. Are Clemson and FSU going to add $140-$150m per year in revenue so they don’t dilute what the other 16 members are going to make on the new deal? That’s also just paying for themselves to be added, and doesn’t even add to what the other programs are slated to make.

That also doesn’t account for the $780m the SEC (ESPN) would have to pay to the ACC for both of them to forego the GOR.

Back