What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

HaHa! Thanks, I’m sure I’m in a very large and very respectable pool….CU always had more than its share of loud mouth East Coast jackasses with superiority complexes when I was going there. Believe me when I say that the CO in-staters are glad that most of them went back to where they came from.

🤣

I was years from being a loud mouth East Coast jackass with a superiority complex when I attended CU. At that time I was a loud mouth jackass from New Mexico with a superiority complex who was shocked at the intellectual lightweights I encountered who attended all manner of prep schools and rich suburban high schools where they were provided things like AP courses and exams I had never even heard about yet still could not read, write, or think.

Having football only membership just seems so bush league.
I sort of agree with this statement.

But I also think it's also an acknowledgement of the economic reality, which is that's it's all about football.

If it's all about football, then make it all about football - maximizing that revenue stream is probably the way to produce the most economically efficient profits.

Following this rabbit hole for a second and going way outside of the box - what if you spin off the football conference to be it's own entity? Call it the western collegiate football conference or something like that. Once you get rid of the "we're the conference of champions, we care about academics, etc, etc," you create a lot more room to do things to maximize economic value.

But I also think it's also an acknowledgement of the economic reality, which is that's it's all about football.

If it's all about football, then make it all about football - maximizing that revenue stream is probably the way to produce the most economically efficient profits.

Following this rabbit hole for a second and going way outside of the box - what if you spin off the football conference to be it's own entity? Call it the western collegiate football conference or something like that. Once you get rid of the "we're the conference of champions, we care about academics, etc, etc," you create a lot more room to do things to maximize economic value.
That’s impossible. We’re the Pac-12. Our sports can’t compete in other conferences…

Booooo.

I really dislike the direction college athletics is headed.

This is something I think that needs to happen given the money and let the non-sports conferences realign to what they could and should be. Football pays the bills of the other sports anyway and I think if ADs had their say, their non-football athletic teams would be in conferences with more reasonable travel times.

In fact, I no longer get angry or lose my cool in my personal life at all (I've been road-rage free for five years). I'm a pretty chill dude these days.
I can't be the only one that thought of this when reading the above:

serenity-now.gif

tenor.gif

Looking at the newest US Census data released today, Latinos/Hispanics are the majority in California (39.4% compared to 34.7% for whites) which definitely will impact future media rights deals for college sports out west.

Perhaps this will increase the likehood that the PAC and B1G merge because for unfathomable reasons, football drives 80-90% of those media rights valuations.

Looking at the newest US Census data released today, Latinos/Hispanics are the majority in California (39.4% compared to 34.7% for whites) which definitely will impact future media rights deals for college sports out west.

Perhaps this will increase the likehood that the PAC and B1G merge because for unfathomable reasons, football drives 80-90% of those media rights valuations.
Football driving media rights valuations is very fathomable.

Help me out - I’m not seeing the connection between those two things.

And how did baylor land in the Big 12 in the first place? It seems like there were more qualified schools.
Sigh. There weren’t more qualified schools. Go back to 1994 and the previous 10-15-20 years. Objectively based on attendance and record BU was arguably third at the time in SWC to UT and A&M. Arguably bc TTech had slightly better attendance and fourth or fifth if you include Arkansas. UH and SMU had some flash-in-the-pan seasons and UH had a heisman. But it wasn’t about the objective metrics. The then Lt Gov Bob Bullock (grew up in Hillsboro just north of Waco, undergrad at TTech, law school at BU) threatened the Permanent University Fund (oil and gas money from TX land that goes to UT and A&M but not other state schools like Tech or UH) and sure enough Tech and BU were included. Had a TCU grad not been ousted on corruption a year before the outcome might have been different. But BU was about the size of TCU, SMU, and Rice combined, and UH was much more of a commuter school back then than it is now.
PS go Buffs. Just giving an explanation.

Last edited:
I disagree
Hope so. Let’s get all the Baylor hate out of the way. Vent. Then I hope to read about CU prospects this year. My mistake was posting something on the realignment thread rather than just reading. But I’m not going to just let insults stand without responding. Go Buffs.

Last edited:
Hope so. Let’s get all the Baylor hate out of the way. Vent. Then I hope to read about CU prospects this year. My mistake was posting something on the realignment thread rather than just reading. But I’m not going to just let insults stand without responding. Go Buffs.
Insults? You've acknowledged that BU wanted to block CU's entrance to the Pac 12 in self interest. Fine, but the lies that Buddy Jones spewed were worthy of hate, certainly. I believe that is deserving of insult.

Are you denying that institutionally BU attempted to cover up a murder by smearing the victim, all to divert from rapant recruiting violations? Are you denying that as an institution baylor bullied victims of sexual assault, to protect football players? Are you suggesting that baylor isn't hiding behind its private status to avoid releasing the Pepper Hamilton report?

I think it's clear that as an institution, BU prioritizes sports above human dignity. You go ahead and respond if you find that insulting. Baylor represents all that is wrong with...well, pretty much anything.

**** baylor dude. I don't see a world in which you can root for both CU and baylor. That's ****ing weird.

Sigh. There weren’t more qualified schools. Go back to 1994 and the previous 10-15-20 years. Objectively based on attendance and record BU was arguably third at the time in SWC to UT and A&M. Arguably bc TTech had slightly better attendance and fourth or fifth if you include Arkansas. UH and SMU had some flash-in-the-pan seasons and UH had a heisman. But it wasn’t about the objective metrics. The then Lt Gov Bob Bullock (grew up in Hillsboro just north of Waco, undergrad at TTech, law school at BU) threatened the Permanent University Fund (oil and gas money from TX land that goes to UT and A&M but not other state schools like Tech or UH) and sure enough Tech and BU were included. Had a TCU grad not been ousted on corruption a year before the outcome might have been different. But BU was about the size of TCU, SMU, and Rice combined, and UH was much more of a commuter school back then than it is now.
PS go Buffs. Just giving an explanation.
Never mind the Bullocks.

If CU was in Baylor's shoes, CU's administrators would have been freaking the heck out too. Those conferences aren't just always focused on athletics but they do sometimes form academic & research alliances which can make it easier to get more Federal funding which in turn could raise the research tier rankings. The B1G academic alliance is a well known group and the Pac-12 & Big 12 does have something like that. Even the SEC schools are part of a 60+ southern school alliance. Just look at Kansas State who is now a VHRU after beating out Texas for that National Bio and Agro-defense Facility. $1.25B academic/research facility and KSU's membership in the Big 12 certainly played a part in that. That place is opening as soon as next year and will raise KSU's research profile...maybe KSU will be an AAU school within a decade or two.

If you are no longer part of that conference and corresponding academic alliance, you might not be getting such transformational Federal funding. Just think if the Feds decided not to give CU research dollars during the space race...would CU be an AAU member? Would they even have ever been part of the Big 8 at that time?

When hundreds of millions to billions of dollars of research funding is threatened, do you think CU's administrators would have not pulled out all the stops to make sure that doesn't happen at the stake of other schools like Baylor did? If you didn't think so, you are probably living in alternative reality.

Louisville played a ton of Thursday night games when they were part of C-USA. Years later, they are a VHRU school in the ACC so this athletics & academics thing could very well be a chicken-egg thing that is probably overcooked.

If CU was in Baylor's shoes, CU's administrators would have been freaking the heck out too. Those conferences aren't just always focused on athletics but they do sometimes form academic & research alliances which can make it easier to get more Federal funding which in turn could raise the research tier rankings. The B1G academic alliance is a well known group and the Pac-12 & Big 12 does have something like that. Even the SEC schools are part of a 60+ southern school alliance. Just look at Kansas State who is now a VHRU after beating out Texas for that National Bio and Agro-defense Facility. $1.25B academic/research facility and KSU's membership in the Big 12 certainly played a part in that. That place is opening as soon as next year and will raise KSU's research profile...maybe KSU will be an AAU school within a decade or two.

If you are no longer part of that conference and corresponding academic alliance, you might not be getting such transformational Federal funding. Just think if the Feds decided not to give CU research dollars during the space race...would CU be an AAU member? Would they even have ever been part of the Big 8 at that time?

When hundreds of millions to billions of dollars of research funding is threatened, do you think CU's administrators would have not pulled out all the stops to make sure that doesn't happen at the stake of other schools like Baylor did? If you didn't think so, you are probably living in alternative reality.

Louisville played a ton of Thursday night games when they were part of C-USA. Years later, they are a VHRU school in the ACC so this athletics & academics thing could very well be a chicken-egg thing that is probably overcooked.
Okay, pretending that this post was a lucid argument that clearly linked opportunities to achieve federal grant funding to sports conferences, and not a non-spurious collection of unrelated observations.

IF CU felt similarly threatened at the prospect losing conference affiliation, do you believe that a senior representative of our university would send emails to conference officials for the purpose of slandering another university by asserting lies and half-truths? Of course not. That's some baylor ****, though.

Look Jalapeño, nobody blames baylor for protecting their self-interest. How an organization goes about that will tell you a lot, though.

Last edited:
Brings to mind something that in hindsight is one of the best career non moves ever. Way back in MWC days, then Defenseive Coordinator Kyle Whittingham TURNED DOWN the Bailer HC job offer in the Big XII to remain the DC at Utah in the MWC. Foresight Award of the century goes to Mr. Whittingham. Maybe also a lesson in there too for some young buck looking to move up fast ...

Some free advice would be that if you are a Baylor fan (and I can tell that you are) and you value your sanity, you should forego posting on Allbuffs.
Your curiosity about the CU team and program can be served by simply reading the threads here and also catching the reporting posted on the CUAD site.

Some free advice would be that if you are a Baylor fan (and I can tell that you are) and you value your sanity, you should forego posting on Allbuffs.
Your curiosity about the CU team and program can be served by simply reading the threads here and also catching the reporting posted on the CUAD site.
Or do the decent thing and stop rooting for baylor. And maybe tell people your degrees are from Houston or something.

Back