What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

Sigh. There weren’t more qualified schools. Go back to 1994 and the previous 10-15-20 years. Objectively based on attendance and record BU was arguably third at the time in SWC to UT and A&M. Arguably bc TTech had slightly better attendance and fourth or fifth if you include Arkansas. UH and SMU had some flash-in-the-pan seasons and UH had a heisman. But it wasn’t about the objective metrics. The then Lt Gov Bob Bullock (grew up in Hillsboro just north of Waco, undergrad at TTech, law school at BU) threatened the Permanent University Fund (oil and gas money from TX land that goes to UT and A&M but not other state schools like Tech or UH) and sure enough Tech and BU were included. Had a TCU grad not been ousted on corruption a year before the outcome might have been different. But BU was about the size of TCU, SMU, and Rice combined, and UH was much more of a commuter school back then than it is now.
PS go Buffs. Just giving an explanation.

That is the Baylor perspective.

As someone who was at SMU at the time the story went that UT and aTm were leaving for the Big8. Then governor Ann Richards, a Baylor grad, made it so more teams had to join, and one had to be Baylor. SMU recognized they were in a tough spot, but are not fans of how BU found a landing spot. The same feelings are shared by Rice, Houston, and TCU. They will all gladly stab BU in the back if it helps them move up.

I don't think Knebraska has any issues with BU, and the ACC would like to have a link into Texas as well. Those are probably the best hope BU has in terms of joining another Conference. UT and aTm will not bring them along a second time. CU, Utah, and Cal will not let BU join the PAC.

The BigXII could try and add schools in and try to stay P5. You would probably need BYU and Boise St to have any hope. Maybe also adding Cincinnati and Memphis as well to get back up to 12.

I left off SMU and Houston even though they would work, in order to survive the BigXII will have to expand outside of Texas.

That is the Baylor perspective.

As someone who was at SMU at the time the story went that UT and aTm were leaving for the Big8. Then governor Ann Richards, a Baylor grad, made it so more teams had to join, and one had to be Baylor.
It doesn't really matter, but this is internet myth that just keeps getting repeated because it sounds easy to believe. Ann Richards didn't give a damn where Baylor played football, and has been quoted saying as much. Bob Bullock was the politician who put in a fight for both Baylor and Texas Tech.

Article's from about an hour ago:

High level initial discussions. Scheduling alliance across all sports plus voting together as a bloc to cut SEC power off at the knees. Big 12 not included, so they're done.

For reference: in that picture, the PAC is Iron Man, the B1G is Capt America, and the ACC is Thor. They’re joined by Quicksilver (B12) to take on the SEC (Ultron). If you remember the movie, Ultron kills Quicksilver.

that’s the joke.

so long as the B12 doesn’t have a super powerful, emotionally unhinged sister, we’re good.

so, yeah, a scheduling alliance between the acc, p12, and b10 could destroy the sec move, especially if we all do not schedule the sec teams. i like this.

i also think there is a chance some or all of the left behind 8 could be merged into the 3 non-sec conferences, maybe. except bailer.

cool. i like this news. blow up the death star.

For reference: in that picture, the PAC is Iron Man, the B1G is Capt America, and the ACC is Thor. They’re joined by Quicksilver (B12) to take on the SEC (Ultron). If you remember the movie, Ultron kills Quicksilver.

that’s the joke.

so long as the B12 doesn’t have a super powerful, emotionally unhinged sister, we’re good.
Homer Simpson Cartoon GIF

so, yeah, a scheduling alliance between the acc, p12, and b10 could destroy the sec move, especially if we all do not schedule the sec teams. i like this.

i also think there is a chance some or all of the left behind 8 could be merged into the 3 non-sec conferences, maybe. except bailer.

cool. i like this news. blow up the death star.
I think it's smart, have acc, big10 and pac12 go to 8 conference games. Then the 4 nonconfere games would be 2 from each other league. Tv partners will pay a lot more for a nonconfere schedule of CU v. Iowa, PSU, Duke, Syracuse, than Northern Colorado, CSU and some garbage team.

I think it's smart, have acc, big10 and pac12 go to 8 conference games. Then the 4 nonconfere games would be 2 from each other league. Tv partners will pay a lot more for a nonconfere schedule of CU v. Iowa, PSU, Duke, Syracuse, than Northern Colorado, CSU and some garbage team.

The scheduling is the minor aspect. The potential partnership on voting as a bloc against the SEC on key issues is huge.

The scheduling is the minor aspect. The potential partnership on voting as a bloc against the SEC on key issues is huge.
At what point does the SEC decide to take their 16 teams and separate from the NCAA for football and just hold their own season and tournament?

At what point does the SEC decide to take their 16 teams and separate from the NCAA for football and just hold their own season and tournament?

The conference that NEEDS body bag games in November? Good one.

Also, good luck with any other sport in that scenario. The other NCAA members would have zero incentive to play ball with the SEC on anything.

I think the SEC and, by extension, ESPN, greatly underestimated the reaction to adding UT and OU. They might have thought they were playing the long game, but the short term ramifications are turning out to be far more significant than they could have predicted.
They knew exactly what they were doing, unfortunately. They think the world revolves around them. For example

The conference that NEEDS body bag games in November? Good one.

Also, good luck with any other sport in that scenario. The other NCAA members would have zero incentive to play ball with the SEC on anything.
1. ACK that the SEC has been forefront in scheduling Nov body bag games, why do you feel they NEED those games?
2. Even assuming the SEC does need them, i don't think the SEC needs the other P4 conferences to get them. The SEC can, and already does, get.them from G5 and FCS.

not related to Duff's post...
3. I believe the ACC is going to be damaged the most by a scheduling alliance against the SEC. Giving up those rivalry games will hurt.

They knew exactly what they were doing, unfortunately. They think the world revolves around them. For example

Probably the non-SEC schools. There are a lot more teams for the top programs in the Pac 12/BIG/ACC to beat up on, allowing for better records and rankings

Probably the non-SEC schools. There are a lot more teams for the top programs in the Pac 12/BIG/ACC to beat up on, allowing for better records and rankings
Maybe. The SEC could play a 12 game conference schedule and have their own 4 team playoff to end the season and still pull in monster ratings though, I think that is what he is saying.

Maybe. The SEC could play a 12 game conference schedule and have their own 4 team playoff to end the season and still pull in monster ratings though, I think that is what he is saying.

Agreed, but this is also a statement against ESPN, too. If anything threatens the supremacy of the CFP, ESPN stands to lose. And that's not even mentioning the fact that the Big Ten and Pac-12 are not beholden to ESPN for media rights.

What's good for ESPN > than what's good for the SEC in this regard, because those bags of $$$$$ are coming from ESPN. So while that anonymous SEC dickbag is puffed full of typical SEC bravado, they really should be burning up the phones to the conference offices.

Agreed, but this is also a statement against ESPN, too. If anything threatens the supremacy of the CFP, ESPN stands to lose. And that's not even mentioning the fact that the Big Ten and Pac-12 are not beholden to ESPN for media rights.

What's good for ESPN > than what's good for the SEC in this regard, because those bags of $$$$$ are coming from ESPN. So while that anonymous SEC dickbag is puffed full of typical SEC bravado, they really should be burning up the phones to the conference offices.
No doubt. Like Wilner said yesterday, the big 10 and pac 12 want the college football playoff rights to go out for bidding in 2026 instead of directly to espn and this is a purely political play to do that. They will also probably push for a 4 team playoff instead of 12 for their next hand to try and hurt the SEC while also hurting their own pocket books.

also, this is purely a big 10/pac 12 thing, the ACC is just along for the ride because they know if they lost Clemson and Florida state to the SEC their conference is ****ed.

I don’t think the SEC going full isolationist is going to have the long term ratings outside of the South. People watch the SEC all around the country because they are part of the border CFB landscape with the other conferences. People are sick of Bama/Clemson every year now, what happens when it’s Bama/Georgia/OU/FL every year without tOSU, Michigan, Penn State, Clemson, FSU, Miami, USC, Oregon, Washington, etc being involved? I just don’t see an all SEC league being anything more than a regional league

I don’t think the SEC going full isolationist is going to have the long term ratings outside of the South. People watch the SEC all around the country because they are part of the border CFB landscape with the other conferences. People are sick of Bama/Clemson every year now, what happens when it’s Bama/Georgia/OU/FL every year without tOSU, Michigan, Penn State, Clemson, FSU, Miami, USC, Oregon, Washington, etc being involved? I just don’t see an all SEC league being anything more than a regional league
I don't know if you're correct or not, but this is a subject I've been dwelling on significantly.

One point in favor of the SEC though, if the vast majority of all the future NFL players come from SEC schools, I think western US interest in CFB, what little there is, could follow the SEC schools, even more than now, over local teams.

They will, if in their best interests.

Will have 3 round playoff. Winner plays alliance.

Think AFL vs NFL in old days.

Back