What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

At what point does the SEC decide to take their 16 teams and separate from the NCAA for football and just hold their own season and tournament?
If theyre talking about that eventuality of the SEC leaving the NCAA on NPR (last week) you know its likely the long term game plan. Great for football. Completely ****s over the rest of the sports.

The SEC claiming theyre National Champions when they only play themselves seems like a step backwards.

Article's from about an hour ago:

High level initial discussions. Scheduling alliance across all sports plus voting together as a bloc to cut SEC power off at the knees. Big 12 not included, so they're done.

The alliance would ge a good thing. IF they can stick together and refuse to be individually bought off (Thats how ESPN wins).

Handicap the 12 team playoff, another good thing that hurts the SEC and ESPN.

No one has mentioned it yet but “The Alliance” could play the biggest power card of them all against the SEC &ESPN;

go to the NCAA and have them sanction an FBS 16 team playoffs.
Interesting.

Not something that even crossed my mind Please expand on your thoughts of how that could play to the alliance's advantage.

Interesting.

Not something that even crossed my mind Please expand on your thoughts of how that could play to the alliance's advantage.
1. Credibility: The NCAA awards championships in nearly all major college sports except one, FBS football.
2. Equality: All schools have a chance to make the playoff, P4 and not versus the closed system we have currently. No more polls. Take the power away from ESPN to create made for TV moments that always happen to include their properties.
3. Monopoly: End ESecPNs obvious effort to consolidate into some kind of a Super League that will leave a lot of schools out of the games and unable to get recruits.

The SEC claiming theyre National Champions when they only play themselves seems like a step backwards.

I doubt that would happen, as it would be detrimental to the $$$$$ that is driving all of this, but it would spell the end of the SEC even pretending to have their programs anything but loosely affiliated with the schools. They would be a minor league to the NFL, nothing less.

The ripple effect on the rest of FBS would be interesting.

1. Credibility: The NCAA awards championships in nearly all major college sports except one, FBS football.
2. Equality: All schools have a chance to make the playoff, P4 and not versus the closed system we have currently. No more polls.
3. Monopoly: Take the power away from ESPN to create made for TV moments that always happen to include their properties. End their obvious effort to consolidate into some kind of a Super League that will leave a lot of schools out of the games and unable to get recruits.
Thanks.

I'm still not clear how #1 and #2 advantage the Alliance over the SEC.

#2 assumes a change to the playoff selection process, but i think you're stopping short of "all FBS conference champions". What did you have in mind?

#3 presumably would hurt the ACC more than any other conference.

I think the alliance could be a great step in creating a uniform college playoff system. All teams play 8 or 9 game conference schedule. No more “cupcake” games etc.

2. Equality: All schools have a chance to make the playoff, P4 and not versus the closed system we have currently. No more polls. Take the power away from ESPN to create made for TV moments that always happen to include their properties.
3. Monopoly: End ESecPNs obvious effort to consolidate into some kind of a Super League that will leave a lot of schools out of the games and unable to get recruits.
I don't think it would do all that. There are currently selection shows for all other sports.

But I do think it would split things off further and make it so some of what's considered D1 would no longer be grouped into the top division.

If theyre talking about that eventuality of the SEC leaving the NCAA on NPR (last week) you know its likely the long term game plan. Great for football. Completely ****s over the rest of the sports.

The alliance would ge a good thing. IF they can stick together and refuse to be individually bought off (Thats how ESPN wins).

Handicap the 12 team playoff, another good thing that hurts the SEC and ESPN.
Why handicap the playoff? Seems like at a minimum they should let it be bid.

No one has mentioned it yet but “The Alliance” could play the biggest power card of them all against the SEC &ESPN;

go to the NCAA and have them sanction an FBS 16 team playoffs.
No way the NCAA does this. They have constitutional issues.

What does that mean?
The NCAA will not form a 16 team non-SEC playoff tournament as suggested by OP. Their next major action is their upcoming convention where whey will address their purpose and establish a néw constitution. Group chaired by Robert Gates, former aTm prez and SecDef.

As the dust starts to settle a bit, am I crazy to think this might actually help the Pac 12? It certainly gives us a lot more leverage with our media negotiations. It also woke up the sleeping heads in the B1G.

Thanks.

I'm still not clear how #1 and #2 advantage the Alliance over the SEC.

#2 assumes a change to the playoff selection process, but i think you're stopping short of "all FBS conference champions". What did you have in mind?

#3 presumably would hurt the ACC more than any other conference.
See my edit.

If the SEC leaves the NCAA, as some predict, they would be in their closed conference on the outside looking in at a competing tournament thats sanctioned by the major governing body and is more inclusive than their closed conference.

If they stayed in the NCAA they, and their king maker money whore, would have less control over the process.

The ACC is in a pickle on #3 because i believe their partnership for ACCNetwork lasts 50 years?

Last edited:
best analysis, with full disclosure of its' shortcomings, taht i've seen yet on which CFB programs get the most viewers.

My quick takeaways are that:
1. the Alliance the Pact is really all about the B1G.
2. this ranking reinforces the importance of USC that most Allbuff members speak to
3. I'm surprised Stanford is the #2 Pac 12 team on this list
4. given how empty their stadium is for seemingly every home game, that Miami ranks so high

if I get time later, I might drop this into Excel and graph it. It looks like there's a huge drop from 2 to 3 and from 3 to 4 and then a gradual decline from that point.
  1. Ohio State (5.19M)
  2. Alabama (5.09M)
  3. Michigan (4.18M)
  4. Notre Dame (3.61M)
  5. LSU (3.22M)
  6. Auburn (3.12M)
  7. Georgia (2.91M)
  8. Oklahoma (2.90M)
  9. Clemson (2.67M)
  10. Penn State (2.55M)
  11. Florida (2.46M)
  12. Wisconsin (2.27M)
  13. Texas (2.269M)
  14. Florida State (2.23M)
  15. Michigan State (2.20M)
  16. Southern Cal (1.98M)
  17. Tennessee (1.85M)
  18. Texas A&M (1.75M)
  19. Oklahoma State (1.64M)
  20. Mississippi (1.61M)
  21. Iowa (1.57M)
  22. Nebraska (1.51M)
  23. Miami (1.503M)
  24. TCU (1.495M)
  25. Stanford (1.43M)
  26. Oregon (1.34M)
  27. Arkansas (1.33M)
  28. Washington (1.32M)
  29. Mississippi State (1.31M)
  30. West Virginia (1.27M)
  31. Virginia Tech (1.26M)
  32. UCLA (1.25M)
  33. Louisville (1.22M)
  34. Indiana (1.17M)
  35. Baylor (1.12M)
  36. South Carolina (1.07M)
  37. Texas Tech (921K)
  38. Washington State (909K)
  39. Northwestern (867K)
  40. Utah (856K)
  41. Minnesota (803K)
  42. Pittsburgh (781K)
  43. North Carolina (749K)
  44. Iowa State (747K)
  45. California (730K)
  46. BYU (714K)
  47. NC State (703K)
  48. Arizona State (695K)
  49. Syracuse (694K)
  50. Houston (689K)
  51. Kansas State (682K)
  52. Maryland (681K)
  53. Purdue (620K)
  54. Georgia Tech (615K)
  55. Missouri (611K)
  56. Colorado (610K)
  57. Virginia (592K)
  58. UCF (566K)
  59. Memphis (564K)
  60. Arizona (561K)
  61. Kentucky (484K)
  62. Boise State (476K)
  63. Vanderbilt (438K)
  64. Cincinnati (430K)
  65. Duke (410K)
  66. USF (407K)
  67. Boston College (403K)
  68. Illinois (401K)
  69. Wake Forest (398K)
  70. Kansas (346K)
  71. Oregon State (295K)
  72. Rutgers (266K)
  73. SMU (232K)
link

I don't think it would do all that. There are currently selection shows for all other sports.

But I do think it would split things off further and make it so some of what's considered D1 would no longer be grouped into the top division.
My understanding is an NCAA committee decides who is invited and who isnt. With the BCS computer coaches ants marching polling systems we have now there are already biases convenient to the ESecPN arrangement even without TVs influence

best analysis, with full disclosure of its' shortcomings, taht i've seen yet on which CFB programs get the most viewers.

My quick takeaways are that:
1. the Alliance the Pact is really all about the B1G.
2. this ranking reinforces the importance of USC that most Allbuff members speak to
3. I'm surprised Stanford is the #2 Pac 12 team on this list
4. given how empty their stadium is for seemingly every home game, that Miami ranks so high

if I get time later, I might drop this into Excel and graph it. It looks like there's a huge drop from 2 to 3 and from 3 to 4 and then a gradual decline from that point.
  1. Ohio State (5.19M)
  2. Alabama (5.09M)
  3. Michigan (4.18M)
  4. Notre Dame (3.61M)
  5. LSU (3.22M)
  6. Auburn (3.12M)
  7. Georgia (2.91M)
  8. Oklahoma (2.90M)
  9. Clemson (2.67M)
  10. Penn State (2.55M)
  11. Florida (2.46M)
  12. Wisconsin (2.27M)
  13. Texas (2.269M)
  14. Florida State (2.23M)
  15. Michigan State (2.20M)
  16. Southern Cal (1.98M)
  17. Tennessee (1.85M)
  18. Texas A&M (1.75M)
  19. Oklahoma State (1.64M)
  20. Mississippi (1.61M)
  21. Iowa (1.57M)
  22. ****braska (1.51M)
  23. Miami (1.503M)
  24. TCU (1.495M)
  25. Stanford (1.43M)
  26. Oregon (1.34M)
  27. Arkansas (1.33M)
  28. Washington (1.32M)
  29. Mississippi State (1.31M)
  30. West Virginia (1.27M)
  31. Virginia Tech (1.26M)
  32. UCLA (1.25M)
  33. Louisville (1.22M)
  34. Indiana (1.17M)
  35. Baylor (1.12M)
  36. South Carolina (1.07M)
  37. Texas Tech (921K)
  38. Washington State (909K)
  39. Northwestern (867K)
  40. Utah (856K)
  41. Minnesota (803K)
  42. Pittsburgh (781K)
  43. North Carolina (749K)
  44. Iowa State (747K)
  45. California (730K)
  46. BYU (714K)
  47. NC State (703K)
  48. Arizona State (695K)
  49. Syracuse (694K)
  50. Houston (689K)
  51. Kansas State (682K)
  52. Maryland (681K)
  53. Purdue (620K)
  54. Georgia Tech (615K)
  55. Missouri (611K)
  56. Colorado (610K)
  57. Virginia (592K)
  58. UCF (566K)
  59. Memphis (564K)
  60. Arizona (561K)
  61. Kentucky (484K)
  62. Boise State (476K)
  63. Vanderbilt (438K)
  64. Cincinnati (430K)
  65. Duke (410K)
  66. USF (407K)
  67. Boston College (403K)
  68. Illinois (401K)
  69. Wake Forest (398K)
  70. Kansas (346K)
  71. Oregon State (295K)
  72. Rutgers (266K)
  73. SMU (232K)
link
If you took his input data set, you could do a bit of somewhat easy statistics and tease out how much ranking and time slot play into those numbers, and some more complicated stats and adjust for opponent.

I'm absolutely certain some programs outperform their ranking/time slot/opponent and some underperform.

I have no actual data to support this, but my suspicion is that Clemson and Stanford underperform relative to their rankings/time slot/opponent, and that NU and, yes even CU, overperform to their rankings/time slot/opponent.

See my edit.

If the SEC leaves the NCAA, as some predict, they would be in their closed conference on the outside looking in at a competing tournament thats sanctioned by the major governing body and is more inclusive than their closed conference.

If they stayed in the NCAA they, and their king maker money whore, would have less control over the process.

The ACC is in a pickle on #3 because i believe their partnership for ACCNetwork lasts 50 years?
NCAA has no appetite for non-SEC playoff. There is a way for all to participate. It’s called a 4 or 12 tram playoff coordinated and selected by CFP and open to bid after the current contract expires.

It’s more likely that A5 goes to their own CBB tournament than NCAA to coordinate a non-SEC CFB playoff.

My understanding is an NCAA committee decides who is invited and who isnt. With the BCS computer coaches ants marching polling systems we have now there are already biases convenient to the ESecPN arrangement even without TVs influence
Wait. NCAA Committee invites? BCS is dead. CFP doesn’t use polls.

It’s 2021. You with us?

or, did I miss a key transition.

Why didn’t the B10 align with the SEC on an all at large playoff of 8teams? Now they are mad because SEC check mated them. (Staples pod. Good thoughts on alliance throughout pod(.

It's unlikely, but I'd love nothing more than if this money grab by the SEC started a CFB civil war that they will eventually lose

Also, a big LOL at any ****bailer defense on this board, or anywhere else for that matter. It's not anything against individuals who have attended that college (have a few friends who ran track there who I think very highly of), but that institution is a microcosm for everything I believe to be wrong with our society

For other bailer haters, Slate put out a very gratifying article on Ken Starr today

Now, this looks like the dumbest way to frame an argument that I have ever seen. The ACC is going to top 200 million on their tv deal but they only have a deal with ESPN. The pac 12 will be at almost 150 million from espn and fox totally 288 million. Maybe I don’t understand their math but to say the ACC is ahead makes no sense what so ever, they have 2 more teams as well.

Back