What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

Nobody is close to UT in terms of money, but A&M closed a big portion of the gap. Culturally, they’re still a better fit in the B12, but culture doesn’t mean anything these days.

But wait, I was emphatically assured that this was incorrect…that UT was still the big dog and A&M was still second fiddle.

I read that post...not exactly unbiased especially when you have two kids going to UT.

I think the loss of Texas A&M to the SEC hit the Big 12 harder than those Big 12 fans will care to admit since it impacted recruiting in that state.

I read that post...not exactly unbiased especially when you have two kids going to UT.

I think the loss of Texas A&M to the SEC hit the Big 12 harder than those Big 12 fans will care to admit since it impacted recruiting in that state.
Those weren’t MY kids going to UT. That was the counter to my statement.

Edit: reread - you weren’t accusing my kids of going to UT. Oops.

Last edited:
Moving to the SEC was definitely helpful for A&M to get somewhat out of UT's shadow, even though I hated that they wouldn't have rivalry games anymore.

While Jalapeno's post illustrates that it was a good move monetarily for them, if you're trying to compare their finances with UT's, well... They're still not close. https://graphics.wsj.com/table/NCAA_2019
Not comparing finances - I’m comparing perception in the state. Cruising though airports in Houston, San Antonio, and Dallas in the last two weeks (plus am Astros game)…WAY more maroon.

You misspelled moron.
the office slow clap GIF

Not comparing finances - I’m comparing perception in the state. Cruising though airports in Houston, San Antonio, and Dallas in the last two weeks (plus am Astros game)…WAY more maroon.
Yeah I guess it depends where you look. And I'm not sure how you measure that perception without bias. Where I grew up in TX, it leaned more burnt orange than maroon. But I've been in Boulder for 13 years now, so maybe that's changed.

OU & Texas join the SEC...wouldn't that put Bama & Auburn in the SEC East?
If it was a splitting of divisions it would appear that way. Texas, A$M, OU, Arkansas, Missouri, LSU, Mississippi state and ole miss in the west and Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee, vandy, Alabama and auburn in the east.

I’d absolutely love to see it, but I think this is just a grandstanding move by OU and UT to squeeze more money out of the B12.

In the hypothetical world where this did happen, I wonder if the SEC would want to drop a couple schools to let them in. Missouri and South Carolina come immediately to mind. Although I don’t recall there ever being a conference that dropped member schools. It’s a brave new world, though.

Bring it!

Here's an article that's free to view.

Brent Zwerneman, The Chronicle’s Texas A&M beat writer, reported that “an announcement could come within a couple off weeks” regarding the addition of OU and Texas to the 14-member SEC.

I’d absolutely love to see it, but I think this is just a grandstanding move by OU and UT to squeeze more money out of the B12.

Big 12 media rights are not up until 2025...too soon to be grandstanding for a better deal from the Big 12. This would be more about getting better NIL deals for their athletes. That is the realignment every CFB should be concerned about.

Would guess they really want to join the Big 10 in the end.

Academic snobbery of the Big Ten wouldn't let OU in since they aren't an AAU school. I know Nebraska is in that conference but they were AAU when they joined.

Big 12 media rights are not up until 2025...too soon to be grandstanding for a better deal from the Big 12. This would be more about getting better NIL deals for their athletes. That is the realignment every CFB should be concerned about.

Academic snobbery of the Big Ten wouldn't let OU in since they aren't an AAU school. I know ****braska is in that conference but they were AAU when they joined.
I disagree about the timing. Most of those agreements are done a year or two in advance. They set the groundwork now for the payday down the road. Right now, it’s just “hey, would you have an interest?” And then in two years it’s “we have this opportunity in our pocket. What are you willing to do to keep us?”
I’d still love to see it happen. It would destroy one conference and severely damage another one.

IF this happens then what happens to the Big 12 ? The Pac 12 ? The ACC ?
Would the Pac 12 and ACC poach a couple of schools to get themselves both to 14 members?
Could either think even bigger and go to 16 ?

Would the Big 12 overreact (they have to know this might have been brewing) and invite 4-6 schools before the Pac & ACC can respond ?
Houston ? SMU ? Cent FL ? South FL ? Boise St? BYU ?

If this happens then schidt just got real.

Would the Pac 12 and ACC poach a couple of schools to get themselves both to 14 members?

Would the Big 12 overreact (they have to know this might have been brewing) and invite 4-6 schools before the Pac & ACC can respond ?

ACC already has 14 members. Big 12 would be out of luck, there would be no fixing that conference with the teams available.

There’s a lot of calculus that would go into this: does a 16-team SEC lobby for an expanded regular season? If so, how many games? 13? 14? If they don’t get those extra games, do they drop schools from the conference? If Missouri and South Carolina are dropped, it would make sense for the B1G to take Missouri and Kansas and the ACC to take South Carolina and West Virginia. Then the PAC picks up some combination of KU, OSU, Tech, Baylor (I just threw up a little in my mouth) and BYU.

It would be fun to watch, but I don’t think it would necessarily help or hurt CU very much in the grand scheme of things. CU has to get its own **** together before any realignment has much of an impact.

There’s a lot of calculus that would go into this: does a 16-team SEC lobby for an expanded regular season? If so, how many games? 13? 14? If they don’t get those extra games, do they drop schools from the conference? If Missouri and South Carolina are dropped, it would make sense for the B1G to take Missouri and Kansas and the ACC to take South Carolina and West Virginia. Then the PAC picks up some combination of KU, OSU, Tech, Baylor (I just threw up a little in my mouth) and BYU.

It would be fun to watch, but I don’t think it would necessarily help or hurt CU very much in the grand scheme of things. CU has to get its own **** together before any realignment has much of an impact.
ACC would only be able to add one team since notre dame would likely have to join.

honestly the big 12 crumbling is a good thing for the pac because it opens up money from fox to invest more in the conference since they wouldn’t be paying for the big 12 anymore. Espn would own the sec and ACC while fox would own the big 10 and pac 12.

What about TCU ? Iowa State ? KSU ?

ACC would only be able to add one team since notre dame would likely have to join.

honestly the big 12 crumbling is a good thing for the pac because it opens up money from fox to invest more in the conference since they wouldn’t be paying for the big 12 anymore. Espn would own the sec and ACC while fox would own the big 10 and pac 12.

Pretty reasonable. ESPN would just simply give the SEC a raise in that case and they have the ACC under lock and key for a long time.

Back