What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

Would guess they really want to join the Big 10 in the end.
This wouldn't be a surprise at all.

Texas sees themselves as not only an elite football program (athletic program) but also as an elite public university.

While they aren't Cal or UCLA or Michigan they are ranked and considered in the top end of large public universities.
https://cwur.org/2020-21.php
OU is certainly a few steps down in that regard but they have been putting a lot of money and effort towards increasing their standing. All indications are that they are making a serious push for AAU status.

Courting the SEC would be a way for them to encourage the B1G to look at adding them.

If they don't get what they want from the B1G the SEC would still be a powerful consolation prize.

We all know that college football is changing and will likely change even more over the next few years. The two conferences in the best position to take advantage of those changes are the SEC and the B1G. This is a move that could mean tens of millions of dollars a year for each of these schools.

Big 12 media rights are not up until 2025...too soon to be grandstanding for a better deal from the Big 12. This would be more about getting better NIL deals for their athletes. That is the realignment every CFB should be concerned about.

Academic snobbery of the Big Ten wouldn't let OU in since they aren't an AAU school. I know ****braska is in that conference but they were AAU when they joined.
As stated above OU is aiming for AAU status. For the B1G that would be enough to get them Texas and it's huge TV market impact.

They can put their noses in the air all they want they did admit Nebraska and they have some other schools that aren't academic powerhouses. It's all about the money and Texas/OU would make all of them richer. This is exactly the reason that the SEC would want them as well.

If Kansas State brought the kind to media dollar impact that UT/OU do conferences would figure out a way to justify adding them.

UT and OU to the Pac 12 would balance power.

Not sure that actually happens until we demonstrate we are beyond the clown show of the last decade plus between the conference commissioner and the Presidents.
This would be the best thing for college football and would make a lot of sense.

Those two schools though aren't interested in taking less money to join a conference that can't get out of it's own way.

As stated above OU is aiming for AAU status. For the B1G that would be enough to get them Texas and it's huge TV market impact.

They can put their noses in the air all they want they did admit ****braska and they have some other schools that aren't academic powerhouses. It's all about the money and Texas/OU would make all of them richer. This is exactly the reason that the SEC would want them as well.

If Kansas State brought the kind to media dollar impact that UT/OU do conferences would figure out a way to justify adding them.

I believe OU is similar to where Utah is academically and you would have to think that school could be getting more research money given their meteorology department in light of climate change these days.

Latest Research Rankings. Every Pac-12, SEC, and Big 12 (except Baylor & TCU) are listed in the VHRU category. I think every ACC school is listed as well. MWC schools listed are: CSU, UNLV, UNM, Hawaii, and Nevada. I think academics will be less of a priority this time around.

UT and OU to the Pac 12 would balance power.

Not sure that actually happens until we demonstrate we are beyond the clown show of the last decade plus between the conference commissioner and the Presidents.

The fanbases of both schools do not want the Pac-12 and I imagine their big money boosters feel the same way. I don't have the slightest hint of confidence that the Pac-12 can get those two at this point. However, the Pac-12 could help its case if they decided to sell the P12N to Fox or Disney.

ACC would only be able to add one team since notre dame would likely have to join.

honestly the big 12 crumbling is a good thing for the pac because it opens up money from fox to invest more in the conference since they wouldn’t be paying for the big 12 anymore. Espn would own the sec and ACC while fox would own the big 10 and pac 12.

The ACC should already be talking to West Virginia. And then hope that ND decides to join in football.

The ACC should already be talking to West Virginia. And then hope that ND decides to join in football.

If the XII crumbles, i think the ACC gets WVU and a Cincy or something, and ND stays status quo.

I'm rooting for WVU to get that ACC invite. Pitt, Syracuse, and I think VT were good rivals for them in the old Big East. If they join the AAC, they could be lethal since they would have Florida back as a recruiting pipeline.

If the XII crumbles, i think the ACC gets WVU and a Cincy or something, and ND stays status quo.

Cincy wouldn't have anything to do with the Big 12 crumbling. I actually don't think the ACC would expand unless ND commits. That way they could hold a spot for them. Unless they decide to take WV but that would present a challenge with the football scheduling having 15 teams. And remember they only have room for 1 more team to expand since they're already at 15 teams in basketball and all other sports.

I'm rooting for WVU to get that ACC invite. Pitt, Syracuse, and I think VT were good rivals for them in the old Big East. If they join the AAC, they could be lethal since they would have Florida back as a recruiting pipeline.

I assume you meant ACC? Although the AAC also has a presence in Florida

If this happens, then P12 should look at TCU, Oklahoma State, Houston, and Kansas State.

If OU and UT go to the SEC then this is a good option, except I'd put Texas Tech in there instead of Houston. But the best part about this list is that it doesn't include KU. Never understood all the love for KU going to the Pac12 - these expansion decisions are 100% driven by football.

I assume you meant ACC? Although the AAC also has a presence in Florida

The competition in the AAC wouldn't be as great in the ACC and that is why I said WVU could be lethal in the AAC. The AAC would benefit from the collapsed Big 12 unless the Big 12 raids the AAC.

If this happens, then P12 should look at TCU, Oklahoma State, Houston, and Kansas State.
Arrested Development No GIF

You might want to cross TCU off that list since the P12 won't take religious schools. But this could be one of those desperate times where the P12 will have to take TCU anyway. Much better choice than Baylor though.

You might want to cross TCU off that list since the P12 won't take religious schools. But this could be one of those desperate times where the P12 will have to take TCU anyway. Much better choice than Baylor though.
TCU was the next highest on the list for Research Universities list and is in a much larger location than Texas Tech

Adding the next 3 states to our East, especially two within Texas was the plan

TCU was the next highest on the list for Research Universities list and is in a much larger location than Texas Tech

Adding the next 3 states to our East, especially two within Texas was the plan

I'm not sure how the P12 would pick TCU over TTU in this case since TTU is VHRU and TCU is not. Houston is definitely a go in this case.

If I had my way, I'd say Houston, UTSA, TCU, and Oklahoma State provided that UTSA would pump in the money to upgrade their facilities. If not UTSA, I'd go with KU...we need another dirty basketball team to root against.

We need to take whatever P5 programs we can get. Let's not kid ourselves about being picky. We will be the have nots if we don't.

I'm not sure how the P12 would pick TCU over TTU in this case since TTU is VHRU and TCU is not. Houston is definitely a go in this case.

If I had my way, I'd say Houston, UTSA, TCU, and Oklahoma State provided that UTSA would pump in the money to upgrade their facilities. If not UTSA, I'd go with KU...we need another ****ty football team to get an easy win against.
FIFY

Back