What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

They would still play every year.

And what's to say that the B1G looking basketball doesn't mean: KU, UVA, GA Tech, Pitt, UNC & Duke? All AAU, takes the conference to 20, and expands markets tremendously.
That would drive SEC to maybe go FSU, Miami, Clemson & VA Tech?

Pac to 20 with: BSU, UNLV, TTU, TCU, UH & OSU maybe?

I've posted before, but equal size has never been a driver in expansion before. I don't see why it would be now.

PAC needs to go big and bold and add 10 teams from the ACC plus Houston and TCU. Change the name to Pacific Atlantic Conference, every time zone and the biggest states, CA, TX, FL and NY.
I can agree with this to a point, the window has/is closing
TCU, Houston & SMU would be a great haul.
If being bold means creating something that doesn't exist.
Pull a West/Midwest G5 into the fold as a whole as if it's the "minor league" of the P12?
It becomes the feeder with a coop between the two...transferring grades etc. appeasing the acadamia.
Added revenue via TV expanding the foot print in viewership and recruiting
The PAC should own everything West of the Miss < go big or go home.

I've posted before, but equal size has never been a driver in expansion before. I don't see why it would be now.
True. But I think there's a bit of dick measuring at play.

Anyway, what did drive before was 12 with 2 divisions being the NCAA minimum to have a conference championship game.

Once they agree on a minimum for a semifinal round, that will set expansion levels. It will likely either be 16 with 2 divisions of 8 (or 4 pods of 4) as the minimum or 20 with 2 of 10 (or 4 of 5) as the minimum is my guess. My further guess is 16 minimum to avoid forcing a ton of poaching.

True. But I think there's a bit of dick measuring at play.

Anyway, what did drive before was 12 with 2 divisions being the NCAA minimum to have a conference championship game.

Once they agree on a minimum for a semifinal round, that will set expansion levels. It will likely either be 16 with 2 divisions of 8 (or 4 pods of 4) as the minimum or 20 with 2 of 10 (or 4 of 5) as the minimum is my guess. My further guess is 16 minimum to avoid forcing a ton of poaching.
Money is going to outweigh dick play in the end, UT & OU are good examples.

If expansion goes crazy and UNC and UVA did leave the ACC I think the SEC would invite NC State and VT.

But I don't see UNC leaving the ACC

If expansion goes crazy and UNC and UVA did leave the ACC I think the SEC would invite NC State and VT.

But I don't see UNC leaving the ACC
They love the dominant position they have in the ACC, but the ACC is not the conference of the 70s that had the long road trip as SC to MD. Just like UT recently leaving the Big 12, UNC could run the same exact calculus of political dominance, tradition & local/regional/politics... and come to the conclusion that the money, recruiting & long-term status is better served by leaving.

They love the dominant position they have in the ACC, but the ACC is not the conference of the 70s that had the long road trip as SC to MD.

No doubt it was the most regional of conferences back then and even GT joining in '79 didn't spread the footprint much. I think UNC likes their situation in the ACC and they know if they left the conference it could fall apart in a hurry. The ACC is banking that ND will join in the coming years and if/when that happens the conference will be on very solid financial ground.

ACC would be greatly helped if FSU came back to close to what they were under Bobby Bowden. Even more than Clemson Florida State was a national brand on TV all the time and rolling up big scores against top 25 teams. They were an image

ACC would be greatly helped if FSU came back to close to what they were under Bobby Bowden. Even more than Clemson Florida State was a national brand on TV all the time and rolling up big scores against top 25 teams. They were an image
I have trouble figuring out why the bottom fell out on Jimbo and why they don't seem able to recover. It's not like Miami where there were burdensome NCAA penalties and the standard operating procedure changed in a way that was bad for football... and they've fallen much further than the Canes.

I have trouble figuring out why the bottom fell out on Jimbo and why they don't seem able to recover. It's not like Miami where there were burdensome NCAA penalties and the standard operating procedure changed in a way that was bad for football... and they've fallen much further than the Canes.
In some ways they parallel Nebraska. Programs that for an extended period of time were among the nations elite.

They had superior athletes, top kids wanted to play there, opponents were intimidated by their talent.

FSU like Nebraska was always known as a less than clean program, the Free Shoes University tag wasn't just jealousy.

Have to wonder if their cheating hasn't been able to keep up. Florida is back near the top, Miami is coming back, Georgia is harvesting talent out of Florida as is Alabama and Ohio State and a bunch of other schools.

Did they drop back or did they just not keep up?

In some ways they parallel ****braska. Programs that for an extended period of time were among the nations elite.

They had superior athletes, top kids wanted to play there, opponents were intimidated by their talent.

FSU like ****braska was always known as a less than clean program, the Free Shoes University tag wasn't just jealousy.

Have to wonder if their cheating hasn't been able to keep up. Florida is back near the top, Miami is coming back, Georgia is harvesting talent out of Florida as is Alabama and Ohio State and a bunch of other schools.

Did they drop back or did they just not keep up?
Doesn't explain being worse than Duke & Wake.

Doesn't explain being worse than Duke & Wake.
No it doesn't, it is as if the entire structure of the program has collapsed from inside itself.

it isn't as if they have fallen back to average, they have gotten bad.

Conference USA executives sent a letter Tuesday, which can be read here, to their brethren at the American Athletic Conference asking them to consider a regionalization model to reorganize the two leagues, sources tell Sports Illustrated.

The proposal, originating from C-USA commissioner Judy MacLeod, would require the conferences to remake themselves based on geography, creating two new leagues under different names. C-USA presidents met Monday to approve the decision to reach out to the AAC, seen as the next step in what’s been a weekslong process of drafting reorganization models.

SI link

When asked about the C-USA concept, an AAC spokesman told CBS Sports, "We have zero interest in that. That's not in our plan."

CBS link

I do believe that increased regionality of conferences is the path that would work best for college football.

It's not the NFL where national television drives the product.

College is distinguished by the pageantry. Rivalries. Student sections. Marching bands. Alumni & faculty. Parades & rallies the night before games. Road trips. Traditions.

Without those things, college football becomes a sterile product with less talent on display than the NFL alternative.

So the impetus needs to enhance the things that make the product special. It's bad business to sell out and become generic for short-term profits -- particularly when you're talking about non-profit businesses.

More regionality, please.

They love the dominant position they have in the ACC, but the ACC is not the conference of the 70s that had the long road trip as SC to MD. Just like UT recently leaving the Big 12, UNC could run the same exact calculus of political dominance, tradition & local/regional/politics... and come to the conclusion that the money, recruiting & long-term status is better served by leaving.
Yes, but good god their travel schedule would get a LOT more burdensome if they went to the B1G. They would go from having 3 conference mates within an hour drive, 4 more within a 4 hour drive, and every other school in the conference save 5 (BC, ND, Miami, Syracuse, and Louisville) like a 1.5 hour plane flight away to having 0 within any sort of driving distance and only a few (Rutgers, MD, PSU) within a 1.5 hour flight

Yes, but good god their travel schedule would get a LOT more burdensome if they went to the B1G. They would go from having 3 conference mates within an hour drive, 4 more within a 4 hour drive, and every other school in the conference save 5 (BC, ND, Miami, Syracuse, and Louisville) like a 1.5 hour plane flight away to having 0 within any sort of driving distance and only a few (Rutgers, MD, PSU) within a 1.5 hour flight
Yep. Unless the B1G went to 18 or 20 & brought both Duke and UVA.

Pp.S. I kind of like 18, fwiw. Two divisions of 9 that play each other every year.

I do believe that increased regionality of conferences is the path that would work best for college football.

It's not the NFL where national television drives the product.

College is distinguished by the pageantry. Rivalries. Student sections. Marching bands. Alumni & faculty. Parades & rallies the night before games. Road trips. Traditions.

Without those things, college football becomes a sterile product with less talent on display than the NFL alternative.

So the impetus needs to enhance the things that make the product special. It's bad business to sell out and become generic for short-term profits -- particularly when you're talking about non-profit businesses.

More regionality, please.
So, CU to the MWC then?

So, CU to the MWC then?
realize this is a joke, but having three conference rivals within a two hour drive would be a really different experience for CU fans. Even back in Big 8/XII days, that didn't exist.

If I’m being honest, being in the same conference with CSU, Utah, BYU, Wyo, AF, Boise, UA, ASU, UNM and UNLV wouldn’t be terrible. I realize the money generated for that conference would suck, and we would have zero chance at any kind of National exposure, but from a purely fan perspective, it would be ok.

I couldn't immediately find the full question that led to the quote in the second tweet.

Back