What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Spring Practices Thread

There is still that nagging question whether Langsdorf can really coach a dual threat QB. Never been his thing during his coaching career.
Do you consider JT dual threat?

BLew >> Noyer >>>> JT in my eyes on the DT scale.

Seems tome like Lang has pretty vast difference in DT skills among these three.

It is kind of funny seeing folks lose their **** over the possibility that one of the only two QBs we’ve had to lead us to a bowl game in last 15 years maaaayy win back his starting job.

If not for JB leading the nation in rushing for most of the season CU is not bowling. Let's stop pretending we were lead by some dynamic passing attack.
Not to mention we stayed healthy (until Landman) and had a ridiculously favorable schedule. Obviously Noyer had a positive (and negative) impact on those games, but the use of the word "lead" insinuates he put the team on his back or something.

Do you consider JT dual threat?

BLew >> Noyer >>>> JT in my eyes on the DT scale.

Seems tome like Lang has pretty vast difference in DT skills among these three.
B Lewis and JT are close. JT is a solid QB, just have to reduce turnovers. B Lewis ceiling is higher because he can get the offense out of trouble when things break down.

This!!!

Several folks on this board remember a great story for the first 2 1/2 games last year and that impedes their ability to see the season Noyer had as a whole. The rest of the season, Noyer was a disaster. Threw more picks than TD's (despite tremendously talented WR's who get open) and had a terrible passer rating, he was a walking turn over machine that cost the team multiple wins. He may be a good leader vocally, but the players also acknowledge his limitations and were frustrated. He is a serviceable backup or QB3 at this level. The point many are making is that Lewis and Strout have exceedingly higher ceilings than Noyer and they have not throw games away like Noyer has. They should, at this point, easily be able to beat a decent backup QB and if they are unable to, HCKD has a dilemma on his hands (bring in transfers and get rid of the players who are unable to beat out a backup and get rid of the QB coach). There is a higher probability that Lewis or Strout are starting and battling it out for QB1 and QB2 positions. With injuries and Covid, having Noyer as an emergency QB3 is a good place to be from a depth perspective vs having Noyer as QB1 which create questions and concerns for the entire QB room.
No one is claiming that Noyer was a great QB. He did win games though and yes other QBs win games with help as well.

Two points to remember though.

One is that the Noyer we see this year could very well be a much better QB than the one we saw last year. Last season we had a guy returning from the safety position in a year with a coaching change who didn't get the benefit of spring ball, of the normal classroom work that occurs in the offseason, of the informal workouts or of even a normal fall camp.

This year due to injury he is missing a lot of the on the field stuff but he now has live experience and tape to study off and a familiarity with the coaching staff. Don't be surprised if he comes back significantly improved.

Secondly while more talented than Noyer is it isn't as if we have two proven world beaters coming back to challenge him. Strout had his opportunities at Tennessee and wasn't successful. Does he fix the turnover issues? Does he take charge of the offense and master the mental parts of the college game? Those are huge ifs.

Lewis is intriguing because he is a true dual threat QB but keep in mind that he wasn't turning down Oklahoma and Georgia to come to CU. He is raw and still has a lot of developing to do to be a quality P5 QB.

I hope that one of the two young guys makes the leap forward and beats out an improved Noyer for the job. I'd prefer a more talented guy and having a young guy who can continue to learn and lead instead of being gone after this year makes the program stronger. I just think it would be a mistake to not give Noyer a fair chance to earn the job again.

No one is claiming that Noyer was a great QB. He did win games though and yes other QBs win games with help as well.

Two points to remember though.

One is that the Noyer we see this year could very well be a much better QB than the one we saw last year. Last season we had a guy returning from the safety position in a year with a coaching change who didn't get the benefit of spring ball, of the normal classroom work that occurs in the offseason, of the informal workouts or of even a normal fall camp.

This year due to injury he is missing a lot of the on the field stuff but he now has live experience and tape to study off and a familiarity with the coaching staff. Don't be surprised if he comes back significantly improved.

Secondly while more talented than Noyer is it isn't as if we have two proven world beaters coming back to challenge him. Strout had his opportunities at Tennessee and wasn't successful. Does he fix the turnover issues? Does he take charge of the offense and master the mental parts of the college game? Those are huge ifs.

Lewis is intriguing because he is a true dual threat QB but keep in mind that he wasn't turning down Oklahoma and Georgia to come to CU. He is raw and still has a lot of developing to do to be a quality P5 QB.

I hope that one of the two young guys makes the leap forward and beats out an improved Noyer for the job. I'd prefer a more talented guy and having a young guy who can continue to learn and lead instead of being gone after this year makes the program stronger. I just think it would be a mistake to not give Noyer a fair chance to earn the job again.
I think Noyer will get more than a fair chance!
Gonna be a tough choice for Dorrell-Chev-Langsdorf.

Kinda feel each coach would somewhat have a favorite horse in the race.

Dorrell = Noyer, Senior leadership
Chev = Lewis, dual-threat high ceiling
Langsdorf = Pocket passer, big arm

Not that this will come as much of a surprise but from the split reps through Spring Ball so far, Shrout has shown to be a slightly better overall passer than Lewis as of right now. Lewis obviously has the legs but the coaches specifically like how confident in the huddle he is and his command of the offense. No clear #1 as of right now.
This was how it was goingto net out whether we had a 5 star stud in the mix. A 3-way competition in the fall was predestined. And it sucks for all involved. Splitting reps 3 ways helps no one.

I seem to remember noyer was really good at hitting the tight ends. When Russell went down our passing game became pretty one dimensional and we struggled after that
Actually, it was probably because he didn't trust his ability to get the ball on time and on target to downfield patterns to WRs and was more sure of delivering to TEs on checking down to shorter routes.

Friday!?

steve martin two wild and crazy guys GIF by Saturday Night Live

Noyer was sharp on mid-level and short throws before the injury. He seemed surprisingly accurate, and could really zip it in there. He made throws into some tight windows that really surprised me.

However,
I never did see him put air under the ball and deliver the long ball with any consistency. Anecdotally, I remember lots of over-throws.
Certainly, the sample size was small but as time went on, I do question if that's a throw he can make. If he can't, and DC's picked up on it, they can close the field down on the QB and tighten things up.

His body of work that KD/Chev have access to, is much larger than the smallish game film than our resident expert, BB2 has. With that said, coaches should know what defenses were doing to them as the year went on, if Noyer was vulnerable to this due to injury or talent-gap, etc.

You can't split reps three ways. It will be a two-man race come fall.
Who gets left out?
Noyer? You gonna tell the returning starter that he can’t defend the job he won last year?
Lewis? The kid who showed the most promise and showed some skills in the bowl game?
Shrout? The guy transferring here to compete for the starting job?

I think all three have to be given a chance for at least half of Fall Camp. It will be hard for any of them to rise to the top in that situation. I guess we will see.

Who gets left out?
Noyer? You gonna tell the returning starter that he can’t defend the job he won last year?
Lewis? The kid who showed the most promise and showed some skills in the bowl game?

I think all three have to be given a chance for at least half of Fall Camp. It will be hard for any of them to rise to the top in that situation. I guess we will see.
Remember when Montez was FINALLY pulled from a game in the 2019 season? And then we put in our first backup and he was injured beyond repair in one play. And then we put in our next backup and he threw an interception on the next play. Honestly, it was one of my favorite sequences of suffering in the modern Buff era.

Anyway, I'm not sure what made me think of that.

Last edited:
Who gets left out?

It should not be hard to narrow it down before fall practices start. Three players splitting reps for half of fall camp hinders everyone.

Who gets left out?

Hard to imagine that they wont know after the first week or even after the few days as to who is the odd man out, wouldn't be beneficial to have all three split reps for that long and would point to a lack of direction/decisiveness from the staff. My gut feeling is Noyer will be given a shot out of respect for last year (plus the team seems to respect him) but ultimately Lewis/Shrout will be the guy with the other jumping in if the offense lags.

You guys have a lot more faith than I do. I foresee a lot of coachspeak about how great the competition is and how hard each player is working and that the competition is so close.

Who gets left out?

Noyer should have moved on. This should not be hard

Noyer should have moved on. This should not be hard
I won’t begrudge a young person for doing what they love. They asked him to move to safety, he did. He was ready to move on to a different school, they recruited him back. He got his shot, he performed. By all accounts he’s a good teammate. Let’s just leave it at that.

If this gets complicated, that’s not on Noyer.

Back