What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Spring Practices Thread

The spring showcase should be like a practice. Get out of town with no injuries. It is been good to hear about the young players like Taylor.

AZ had a monster running/duel threat QB, and was so bad their coach got fired.
If you are referencing Khalil Tate / Sumlin (which I don't know who else you would be referencing), this is one of the worsts take I've read on AllBuffs recently (granted I scroll past bigbang's posts). Causation vs. correlation. It was Sumlin's egregious mismanagement of a dual threat QB with elite athleticism as to why they lost so many games and he was fired. Tate had only 10 more rushing attempts in his last two seasons combined in 22 starts than he did in his Sophomore season in 9 starts. He had Tate sitting in the pocket every passing play like he was Dan Marino. Tate obviously was a bit of a headcase, but he had about as little to do with Arizona sucking as anyone.

If you are referencing Khalil Tate / Sumlin (which I don't know who else you would be referencing), this is one of the worsts take I've read on AllBuffs recently (granted I scroll past bigbang's posts). Causation vs. correlation. It was Sumlin's egregious mismanagement of a dual threat QB with elite athleticism as to why they lost so many games and he was fired. Tate had only 10 more rushing attempts in his last two seasons combined in 22 starts than he did in his Sophomore season in 9 starts. He had Tate sitting in the pocket every passing play like he was Dan Marino. Tate obviously was a bit of a headcase, but he had about as little to do with Arizona sucking as anyone.
Maybe Tate should have been a triple option QB.

Noyer magic!!
I know you're probably being sarcastic, but I don't think we should count Noyer out.

Noyer looked pretty good early last year for a guy who hadn't played the position in a game in a few years. I personally believe his injury, and the lack of experience hindered his game later in the season. If Noyer comes out of Fall Camp as the starter, I'm not panicking like many here likely will.

I know you're probably being sarcastic, but I don't think we should count Noyer out.

Noyer looked pretty good early last year for a guy who hadn't played the position in a game in a few years. I personally believe his injury, and the lack of experience hindered his game later in the season. If Noyer comes out of Fall Camp as the starter, I'm not panicking like many here likely will.

Would not panic, just would understand it would take a catastrophic injury to lose the starting job, and even then, he still might be wheeled out there.

Not that this will come as much of a surprise but from the split reps through Spring Ball so far, Shrout has shown to be a slightly better overall passer than Lewis as of right now. Lewis obviously has the legs but the coaches specifically like how confident in the huddle he is and his command of the offense. No clear #1 as of right now.

Not that this will come as much of a surprise but from the split reps through Spring Ball so far, Shrout has shown to be a slightly better overall passer than Lewis as of right now. Lewis obviously has the legs but the coaches specifically like how confident in the huddle he is and his command of the offense. No clear #1 as of right now.
Probably best case. Keeps everyone pushing into fall camp. Let the best player win.

My guess is that most of us expect the QB battle to be close.
It sounds like Shrout has at least as much arm talent (that shouldn't be a surprise), more experience and maturity.
Lewis seemingly just made plays in one half vs Texas. Still a small sample size, but promising.
Noyer looked really good early and like crap by the bowl game. Was it injury or did the other teams figure him out?

Let's just hope to God that it wasn't that they figured out Chev by game 5 or whatever, like they did in 2019.

It sounds like Shrout has at least as much arm talent (that shouldn't be a surprise), more experience and maturity.
Lewis seemingly just made plays in one half vs Texas. Still a small sample size, but promising.
Noyer looked really good early and like crap by the bowl game. Was it injury or did the other teams figure him out?

Let's just hope to God that it wasn't that they figured out Chev by game 5 or whatever, like they did in 2019.
Shrout was a big time recruit out of high school. The arm talent is there. Problem at Tennessee was throwing the ball to the other team.
Lewis isn't as good an arm as Shrout but his arm should be good enough and overall he's a better athlete. Needs to learn the college game, could dominate in HS on raw talent.
Noyer not getting work in because of injury but still working in the film room. Least gifted QB physically but was a good enough athlete to get some snaps at safety so?

I really expect Noyer to be a much improved QB when he comes back. Having multiple games of experience and then an offseason to process it will change how he looks at defenses next year.

That said I hope that one of the other two beats him out because that will mean that we have a better QB than this years Noyer who is better than last years Noyer.

For a team that still has significant questions on the o-line the mobility that Lewis brings and his ability to keep a defense honest could help cover some weaknesses up front.

Shrout has always had a strong arm. Just has to work on his decision making, reduce the interceptions.

If not for JB leading the nation in rushing for most of the season CU is not bowling. Let's stop pretending we were lead by some dynamic passing attack.
This!!!

Several folks on this board remember a great story for the first 2 1/2 games last year and that impedes their ability to see the season Noyer had as a whole. The rest of the season, Noyer was a disaster. Threw more picks than TD's (despite tremendously talented WR's who get open) and had a terrible passer rating, he was a walking turn over machine that cost the team multiple wins. He may be a good leader vocally, but the players also acknowledge his limitations and were frustrated. He is a serviceable backup or QB3 at this level. The point many are making is that Lewis and Strout have exceedingly higher ceilings than Noyer and they have not throw games away like Noyer has. They should, at this point, easily be able to beat a decent backup QB and if they are unable to, HCKD has a dilemma on his hands (bring in transfers and get rid of the players who are unable to beat out a backup and get rid of the QB coach). There is a higher probability that Lewis or Strout are starting and battling it out for QB1 and QB2 positions. With injuries and Covid, having Noyer as an emergency QB3 is a good place to be from a depth perspective vs having Noyer as QB1 which create questions and concerns for the entire QB room.

It is kind of funny seeing folks lose their **** over the possibility that one of the only two QBs we’ve had to lead us to a bowl game in last 15 years maaaayy win back his starting job.
His efficiency numbers were not good.

Back