What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Texas A&M Pregame / Game Thread

Just watched KD's post game presser.

Damn, I loved how fired up he was. He actually seemed kinda pissed (maybe at the game but also at some of the questions).

That's the KD I want to see on the recruiting trail because that's the kind of energy that will get kids to come to CU.

Confused Britney Spears GIF
A&M kick the FG. .CU can't run out the clock giving ball back and Aggs kick the winner with seconds left.

Massively shytty call right there that takes the ability to settle into the second half away.
Wow
This is an SEC Crew? Why
The referees' home conference is a point of negotiation that is normally specified in CFB OOC contracts. I'm used to seeing the convention where the visiting team's conference provides the officiating more often than not.

Went to the game and had fun, but as mentioned in another thread, it was incredibly disappointing to see so many A&M fans. They have to be one of the weirdest fan bases out there. I liken them to a cult. Most of them seemed like decent people, but everything from their marching band, to their cheers, to their handkerchiefs that they twirl in the air (not the towels the fans have, but their pep band stand there twirling these red handkerchiefs) - it's all so.........odd. I've been to 2 other CFB games in the south, and the other fan bases didn't seem so strange to me. Anyway - good for them for showing up though. Outside of the CU students, our fan base could have shown up much stronger. That's pretty disappointing.

Since I didn't get to watch the telecast, how close was the 3rd down play (SIAP and discussed ad nauseum, but I'm too lazy to read through all these pages) before 4th and 1 at the 5? I was sitting in the end zone opposite of that play, but our video replay seemed close. Also, on the play that Arias dropped the long pass, Lewis got creamed. The screen showed Lewis grimacing in pain. Any idea on what he hurt (I was wondering if maybe that made Chev more cautious about designing runs for him)?

Go Buffs - still annoyed/psst we let it slip away. I know many hate "moral victories", but I'm proud of the effort the team showed. This team deserves our support.

I posted this a few years ago, but it sure seems like a QB is much more likely to get hurt getting blindsided in the pocket than running the zone-read option and knowing when to go down and not take extra punishment. Hell, our backup got hurt in the open field without contact.

BLewis ran thru a tackle in the 1H and he's not going down with arm-tackles. I'm completely comfortable with him running the ball as needed to keep the defense on their toes. Without that facet, this offense won't do much.

Since I didn't get to watch the telecast, how close was the 3rd down play (SIAP and discussed ad nauseum, but I'm too lazy to read through all these pages) before 4th and 1 at the 5? I was sitting in the end zone opposite of that play, but our video replay seemed close. Also, on the play that Arias dropped the long pass, Lewis got creamed. The screen showed Lewis grimacing in pain. Any idea on what he hurt (I was wondering if maybe that made Chev more cautious about designing runs for him)?
I thought the 3rd down play call was not great. Too far for a QB sneak in my opinion and would have been better off sticking with the run game via handoff to the RB, which was pretty effective at that point. Lewis did get creamed on the long pass to Arias. The defensive player landed on top of Lewis, driving his shoulder into the ground. You could tell that it was painful. Haven't heard any follow up on that.

I posted this a few years ago, but it sure seems like a QB is much more likely to get hurt getting blindsided in the pocket than running the zone-read option and knowing when to go down and not take extra punishment. Hell, our backup got hurt in the open field without contact.

BLewis ran thru a tackle in the 1H and he's not going down with arm-tackles. I'm completely comfortable with him running the ball as needed to keep the defense on their toes. Without that facet, this offense won't do much.
Yeah, at this point, they need to let him run. The alternative is a ****ty offense and losing games, which is the same as him getting hurt and Drew Carter needing the play. At least in that scenario, they would be forced to play a Freshman QB and start developing depth at the position.

Agree with you with one condition. The plays called and the coaching of the QB need to be designed to avoid the big hits on the runs.

No matter what you do if the QB is running he is going to take some hits just like if he goes back and stands in a pocket he is going to take some hits.

A good model to look at might be Russell Wilson with the Seahawks. He isn't getting running plays called 15-20 times per game like Carolina did with Cam. Instead they specifically call just enough designated runs to force the defense to respect him and to take advantage of opportunities to get key gains (1st downs or scores.)

They also call plays that are intended to be pass plays but that give him the opportunity to have an open field to run in if the pattern doesn't develop the way they want.

The other part of this is that his style and the way they use him avoids multiple big hits on him. A lot of his runs end with him going out of bounds or sliding down before the tacklers get to him. Much better to get 12-15 yards and get up healthy than get 15-20 and take a solid shot.

When he is tackled on the field it is usually from the side or behind, one guy, and often a DB or a chasing LB, not a square hit.

Looking back at Saturday I saw a fair amount of the above from Lewis in the first half. I think it is realistic to plan and coach him with these concepts in mind.

We don't need him to be an extra RB in the backfield like the fuskers use Adrian Martinez and see the injuries that come with that.

This is all anecdotal of course, but it just seems to me that the running QBs in college do not get hurt anymore than Pocket QBs. When you run the zone read, the play is all in front of you and it's on the edge, with the option to go down or get out of bounds. I like to watch Nebraska get beat up and I will say that Martinez never gets hit on designed running plays (I know this because I'm hoping to see their 2nd stringer asap). He gets hit scrambling around amid chaos, or while in the pocket. But once he takes off and becomes a runner, he never gets hit.

QB Run enhances the regular run game
QB Run helps create more things to think about with fly motion
QB Run helps with Play Fakes and Play Action
QB Run helps a weak OL

Drop back passing with poor receiver routes, poor OL play, and a Freshman QB is just dumb (right now)

This is all anecdotal of course, but it just seems to me that the running QBs in college do not get hurt anymore than Pocket QBs. When you run the zone read, the play is all in front of you and it's on the edge, with the option to go down or get out of bounds. I like to watch ****braska get beat up and I will say that Martinez never gets hit on designed running plays (I know this because I'm hoping to see their 2nd stringer asap). He gets hit scrambling around amid chaos, or while in the pocket. But once he takes off and becomes a runner, he never gets hit.
I see him get hit and hit hard on designed running plays but that is because Frost is stupid and runs the kind of plays that make the QB the target for hard hits. He either runs him directly into the teeth of the defense or he tries to run the old 90's option stuff that uses the QB as bait to open up the pitch. The AFA gets a lot of QBs hurt for the same reason.

In general though excepting idiots like Frost I think your idea is correct. An injury is less likely to happen to a QB who is in running mode and aware of defenders than a QB standing in the pocket looking downfield or even moving in the pocket looking downfield who takes a full shot from a free running pass rusher.

Would you hire Shaw, Campbell, or Fitzgerald - OVER - Sark, Urban Meyer, or Nick Rolovich
Nice does not matter as much as Recruiting or Winning agreed, but we are Colorado and not Texas
Tucker tricked us all
Frost is a douche
I think that Dorrell represents the school and the players very well, but he must fully appreciate what College Football is today
Wilson is a good DC right now, and if more young and hungry assistants/recruiters can be found, so be it
RG and LC know what is needed, amazed they do not figure it out
I’d probably hire anybody over Nick Rolovich

Most interesting comment to me was half of the girls were dressed like hookers and the other half like strippers. 🙃
TBH, I'm pissed to hear this. I'm very used to seeing the female students at Folsom dress far more conservatively.

“ . . . appears to be unemployable.”

Well, sure, your daddy’s firm with it’s casual Fridays and drug tests isn’t going to hire the kind is students who drop acid before going to the Oscars. Successful businesses, however, will.
not conceptualizing sitting at the Oscars being a fun acid trip

Back