What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Texas A&M Pregame / Game Thread

They liked the personnel TAMU had on the field, thought they were worn down from a long drive and wanted to go behind those interior guys. I think where I disagree with them is that if you think those guy are worn down you probably want to get them moving side to side more instead of giving the easier route if rushing straight

After a night to think on it, I'm absolutely convinced that setting the goal at "keep it close going into the 4th and see what happens" turned out to be the equivalent of a prevent defense.

Instead of seeing the opportunity to really put the game away in the first half, the coaching staff (starting with KD first and foremost) was content to play conservatively.

They had the other team on the ropes and lacked the killer instinct necessary to finish them off. The team had it - the coaches did not.

Not surprisingly, the same dynamic plays out of the recruiting trail as well. Call it being nice, call it being conservative, call it whatever you want - this program decidedly does not go out and get it what it wants - it waits for it to come to them.

**** - that's how KD got the job. He didn't go out and get it. He wasn't pursuing the opportunity from the beginning. He landed a dream job by "being patient and waiting."

Of course he's not going to go out and fight for a recruit, or a win.

If he wanted to be a head coach again, when the CU job came open he should have been all over it. Talk about not being able to see on obvious opportunity. Instead... he kept it "close" until the 4th quarter and saw what happened.

That's not a recipe for greatness. It might be a recipe for finishing a little above average.
This is a damn fine post. <golf clap>

Bad call. Appeared to me that the ref screwed up by dialing in looking for a potential pick play, lost sight of the overall play, and threw the flag when he saw the full arm extension on the push - not aware the push was bang-bang after the catch.
This, and the fact that even had it been before the catch, it had no affect on the play. the guy MLC was “interfering” with wasn't anywhere near the receiver and was not trying to react to the actual receiver in any way.

Again, you are talking about the outcome which is totally different than the input (strategy). Doing a QB sneak behind three of your better and more experienced players on the team and with one of the strongest quarterbacks in college football isn’t some crazy play call. Could and should we have done something different? Of course.
It was a freakin ball less, **** brained call. PA to Brew with a boot and Lewis either has a wide open receiver or he walks in. This is not ****ing rocket science.

Its worth pointing out that the stop on fourth down was with about 4 minutes to go in the half. After the defense stopped them right away, we got the ball back with about 2 minutes to go near midfield. It was our failure to do anything from there, and our punter’s low line drive into the end zone, that hurt us. If we could have moved the ball from there into field goal range, and kept texas a@m from scoring before the half.

Its worth pointing out that the stop on fourth down was with about 4 minutes to go in the half. After the defense stopped them right away, we got the ball back with about 2 minutes to go near midfield. It was our failure to do anything from there, and our punter’s low line drive into the end zone, that hurt us. If we could have moved the ball from there into field goal range, and kept texas a@m from scoring before the half.
Yeah, going for it when your defense is playing well is a calculated risk and worked out we just didn’t take advantage of it.

It was a freakin ball less, **** brained call. PA to Brew with a boot and Lewis either has a wide open receiver or he walks in. This is not ****ing rocket science.
Okay dude. I think we should change your name to dislike lama.

It was still a bad play call, and it was poorly executed. It looked like they beat us off the ball, which is unacceptable in that situation.
Lewis definitely needs to control the snap count better than he did on that play I agree but it still don’t think it’s a bad play call. Just agreeing with you that being aggressive and not getting the first and then getting the ball back at midfield is preferable option number 2 behind getting a first down.

A buddy pointed it out to me. This is gross negligence on you know who’s part.

“play selection between 1st and second half:

Our 3 solid drives (TD, missed FG, TO on downs) went:

9 plays - 7 run 2 pass TD
12 play -6 run 5 pass 1 miss FG
12 play - 8 run 2 pass TO on downs not including 2 QB sneaks which ****ed it

2nd half:
3 plays- 1 run 2 pass punt
3 plays- 1 run 2 pass (bull**** PI) surrender run punt
3 plays- 0run 3 pass punt
5 plays- 2 run (1st down) 1 run 2 pass punt
3 plays- 2 run (finally) pass (3rd and 5) punt
Then finally the cherry on top
1 drive to win the game:

4 plays- pass, pass, pass (sacked) pass TO on downs

Went from running it 66% of the time and moving the ball to running it 33% of the time IN THE SECOND HALF WITH THE LEAD

I don't know who made the call. I don't mind the 2 consecutive sneaks. The decision was probably made on 3rd that we were not going to settle for a FG. The way we were moving the ball, you would think we would be able to score with 4 downs from inside the 4. It just didn't work out. Maybe we need to practice that play more. Lewis did not seem selective with where he was going with it.
Also, if you’re going to use a Wildcat (2nd and 14 or whatever), why not try it on third & 1 there?

A buddy pointed it out to me. This is gross negligence on you know who’s part.

“play selection between 1st and second half:

Our 3 solid drives (TD, missed FG, TO on downs) went:

9 plays - 7 run 2 pass TD
12 play -6 run 5 pass 1 miss FG
12 play - 8 run 2 pass TO on downs not including 2 QB sneaks which ****ed it

2nd half:
3 plays- 1 run 2 pass punt
3 plays- 1 run 2 pass (bull**** PI) surrender run punt
3 plays- 0run 3 pass punt
5 plays- 2 run (1st down) 1 run 2 pass punt
3 plays- 2 run (finally) pass (3rd and 5) punt
Then finally the cherry on top
1 drive to win the game:

4 plays- pass, pass, pass (sacked) pass TO on downs

Went from running it 66% of the time and moving the ball to running it 33% of the time IN THE SECOND HALF WITH THE LEAD
Good grief.

Agree he will be our QB for the next few years. Disagree he’s very good right now. He’s not bad but he’s not going to help us win anything. Hasn’t put up meaningful passing yards with good WRs in 2 games. Couldn’t put together a drive in the second half. The backup A&M QB was clearly the better player and he’s their backup.
Calzone was better than Lewis?
No f-ing way
I like Lewis in a pure Zone Read, Play Action, Simple Throw offense with creative motion plays.
Is he a drop back guy, Not right now
The A&M Backup was terrible, but got more rope to throw the ball around the park with a better OL

I think there isn’t enough credit being given to aTm’s defense. They were considered the strength of a National Championship contender coming into the season. But maybe the staff let that reputation get into their head.

And then the prevent defense afterward where their offense finally got something going.

Nice does not have to mean poor results!
David Shaw and Pat Fitzgerald are my two examples
I think that Karl Dorrell has that type of personality
However, he MUST recruit the best possible players to CU
Hiring Turley was nothing less than brilliant, cause we flat out looked bigger and faster
Now, if we are thinking we can recruit and/or build a great Defense, then we have to figure out what kind of offense will be successful and not a drag
Dual Purpose QB's, Big Stanford type of OL, Great Running Backs, Zone Read, Play Action, Tight Ends
I actually feel so much better as a whole after yesterday, but at the same time resigned to remaining nothing more than a 5-7 program
Ugggh, being a Buffs Fan is tough

Nice does not have to mean poor results!
David Shaw and Pat Fitzgerald are my two examples
I think that Karl Dorrell has that type of personality
However, he MUST recruit the best possible players to CU
Hiring Turley was nothing less than brilliant, cause we flat out looked bigger and faster
Now, if we are thinking we can recruit and/or build a great Defense, then we have to figure out what kind of offense will be successful and not a drag
Dual Purpose QB's, Big Stanford type of OL, Great Running Backs, Zone Read, Play Action, Tight Ends
I actually feel so much better as a whole after yesterday, but at the same time resigned to remaining nothing more than a 5-7 program
Ugggh, being a Buffs Fan is tough
Why does nice matter at all? Neither of those guys were hired because they are sweethearts. Hire winners, if they happen to have a calmer demeanor, fine, but that should be almost irrelevant in the discussion.

Back