What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

OSU game fallout thread

So had CU held on to beat OSU the other day, even if the score had remained 31-3, would you still be asking "who are we going to beat"? One half of awful play and coaching and all of a sudden, CU won't win another game?
at 31-10 i told anyone who would listen to me in the stands that this game was faaaaaaarrrrrrr from over...and while i thought that we could take care of the beav at home for gods sake i had a nagging fear that it might very well be our last win of 2018

Here is my current list in order

Matt Campbell (ISU)
Scott Satterfield (App St)
Seth Littrell (No Texas)
Bronco Mendenhall (UVA)
Neil Brown (Troy)
Mike Norvell (Memphis)
Jeff Tedford (Fresno St)
Gary Barnett (I’m serious)

Low, low likelihood on first six, absent maybe Littrell. I’d take either of last two.

Gimme matt Campbell all day. No way we get him though, he's being discussed for Tier 1 jobs and the NFL.

Next is Seth Littrell, then UW's defensive coordinator. Then Neil Brown.

Here is my current list in order

Matt Campbell (ISU)
Scott Satterfield (App St)
Seth Littrell (No Texas)
Bronco Mendenhall (UVA)
Neil Brown (Troy)
Mike Norvell (Memphis)
Jeff Tedford (Fresno St)
Gary Barnett (I’m serious)

Low, low likelihood on first six, absent maybe Littrell. I’d take either of last two.

I don't see Mendenhall as a get you to the next level kind of coach. He doesn't recruit especially well. He's great at coaching solid fundamental football for a team that was greatly lacking in it, but we need more than that to get to where we want to go.

Norvell isn't having a great 3rd season either. Not sure we'd want a guy that is plateauing.

And no freaking way on Barnett.

Barnett would be 1-2 yr stop-the-bleeding, bring accountability, staff development, change the culture hire. And there’s a reason he is at bottom of list.

Matt Campbell (ISU) Great possibility, but he is making 3.5MM at ISU, and isn't likely to make a lateral move...longshot
Scott Satterfield (App St) Intriguing
Seth Littrell (No Texas) Do not get the fascination with a guy who has coached 36 total games
Bronco Mendenhall (UVA) Wouldn't pick up the phone last time, why would he now?
Neil Brown (Troy) I like this option, too
Mike Norvell (Memphis) No thanks, not worth the gamble
Jeff Tedford (Fresno St) Yes, please, although his health issues are a concern
Gary Barnett (I’m serious) Love GB, but no, that ship sailed
I would add Blake Anderson at Arky St., or Derek Mason if he got the hook at Vandy.

Barnett is 72 years old. Come on.

My list (in no order) would be:

Greg Schiano
Jimmy Lake
Mike Gundy
Chip Long
Neil Brown
Dino Babers
Brent Venables
Dave Aranda

Someone educate me on Littrell, I just don’t know much about him beyond what I can read on Wikipedia. Seems like a decent resume but nothing jumping out to indicate he’s a no brainer for a P5 job. What’s his deal?

Edit: completely spaced on Aranda - definitely on my list

Last edited:
Barnett would be 1-2 yr stop-the-bleeding, bring accountability, staff development, change the culture hire. And there’s a reason he is at bottom of list.
Barnett and “accountability” in the same sentence is odd. So is the idea he would change the culture. Isn’t his lack of accountability and poor culture what got CU in trouble last time?

Greg Schiano
Jimmy Lake
Mike Gundy
Chip Long
Neil Brown
Dino Babers
Brent Venables

Someone educate me on Littrell, I just don’t know much about him beyond what I can read on Wikipedia. Seems like a decent resume but nothing jumping out to indicate he’s a no brainer for a P5 job. What’s his deal?

Is Chip Long ready I wonder? Two total years as an OC, one of which was at G5.

Greg Schiano
Jimmy Lake
Mike Gundy
Chip Long
Neil Brown
Dino Babers
Brent Venables
Dave Aranda

Edit: completely spaced on Aranda - definitely on my list
Good list. I had to look into Littrell. Leader. Motivator.

I just don’t think Aranda and Venables have HC bug. Venablrs has passed on and been passed over for other jobs. I think k Aranda is a D geek with no aspiration for anything more.

Barbers is very interesting idea.

Leonard at Wiscy?

Aranda just signed a 4 year $10 million contract, so he might just be holding out for a really good P5 HC job.

I do like Chip Long, if memory serves he was a pretty good recruiting coordinator for ASU, plus probably values the TE position, so that'd be nice. He has done a great job at ND, but he is light on experience.

I also like Jimmy Lake. Only 1 year calling plays as the DC, but that is a guy that's on his way up. He was a monster recruiter as a DB coach, put a ton of guys in the NFL, knows how to recruit CA.

Greg Schiano is interesting. Put in work at Rutgers where he stayed longer than he should've, tried the NFL for a hot minute, then has been DC at OSU. I do think he'd be a pretty good choice, but his career has always been east coast. He'd definitely try to get us recruiting FL, and I'm not sure that's the ticket. If he'd hire a bunch of CA/TX recruiters and go that route, that'd be a good choice.

This might just be en vogue, but I'm liking the idea of a young guy. Attempting to replicate the Sean McVay hiring is probably not a great idea, but he graduated college in freaking 2007, was a WR/TE coach for several years, then OC for 3 years before getting the HC job at the Rams. Normally, I'd say no way that guy succeeds with that little experience, but look at him go. So.. I'm inclined to be more open to guys that have very little coordinator experience.

Aranda just signed a 4 year $10 million contract, so he might just be holding out for a really good P5 HC job.

I do like Chip Long, if memory serves he was a pretty good recruiting coordinator for ASU, plus probably values the TE position, so that'd be nice. He has done a great job at ND, but he is light on experience.

I also like Jimmy Lake. Only 1 year calling plays as the DC, but that is a guy that's on his way up. He was a monster recruiter as a DB coach, put a ton of guys in the NFL, knows how to recruit CA.

Greg Schiano is interesting. Put in work at Rutgers where he stayed longer than he should've, tried the NFL for a hot minute, then has been DC at OSU. I do think he'd be a pretty good choice, but his career has always been east coast. He'd definitely try to get us recruiting FL, and I'm not sure that's the ticket. If he'd hire a bunch of CA/TX recruiters and go that route, that'd be a good choice.

This might just be en vogue, but I'm liking the idea of a young guy. Attempting to replicate the Sean McVay hiring is probably not a great idea, but he graduated college in freaking 2007, was a WR/TE coach for several years, then OC for 3 years before getting the HC job at the Rams. Normally, I'd say no way that guy succeeds with that little experience, but look at him go. So.. I'm inclined to be more open to guys that have very little coordinator experience.
For every McVay there are three Vance Josephs.

Yes

Momentum is a bitch

And it's not just 1/2 of football. AZ got Tate back, and he looks good. UU and WSU are ruining teams, and both do things we suck at: UU has a front 7 that is going to flat out rape our OL and WSU is going to throw on our garbage secondary for 500+ yds.

The only chance I see is CAL, and that's going to be after losing 6 in a row, on the road, on a holiday weekend. And we all know how good Charmin Mac is at getting players motivated.

0-4 is WAAAAAY more probably than even 1-3.

^This, all day. Maybe the probability of losing 4 in a row (or 7 in a row, in our case) is very low if we had AZ and/or Cal coming to Boulder instead. But it's all about the schedule and which way teams are trending e.g. UW's loss to Cal is not all that shocking to me ... they were on the road and were clearly trending downward for awhile (loss to OR, close win over us.)

For every McVay there are three Vance Josephs.

yeah there are. But there are coaching disasters from every realm. G5 HC with success? well, we haven't had great success there.. recycled guy that sucked at his first stop? Well most of those just suck again.. but then there's Pete Carroll and Bill Belichik. Point being, I'm not ruling anyone out.

As far as Littrell-He took over a 1-11 program. Went 5-8 (got into a bowl game his first year via APR). 9-5 last year with a division title. 7-2 this year with Old Dominion, Florida Atlantic, and UTSA left, all of whom have worst records than his team does, so its not far fetched that they'll win 10 games this year.

If we move on from HCMM, I want somebody from a program who recruits in Texas, has experience in this conference, or both. Here's a start-Jeff Tedford, Jimmy Lake, Seth Littrell, and Blake Anderson. I like Neal Brown, but I think he gets a job in the South. Same thing with Scott Satterfield, who I think goes to North Carolina assuming that gig opens (He doesn't fit out here IMO-he's never coached west of Toledo).

As far as Littrell-He took over a 1-11 program. Went 5-8 (got into a bowl game his first year via APR). 9-5 last year with a division title. 7-2 this year with Old Dominion, Florida Atlantic, and UTSA left, all of whom have worst records than his team does, so its not far fetched that they'll win 10 games this year.

If we move on from HCMM, I want somebody from a program who recruits in Texas, has experience in this conference, or both. Here's a start-Jeff Tedford, Jimmy Lake, Seth Littrell, and Blake Anderson. I like Neal Brown, but I think he gets a job in the South. Same thing with Scott Satterfield, who I think goes to North Carolina assuming that gig opens (He doesn't fit out here IMO-he's never coached west of Toledo).
Maybe it’s not fair to Littrell, but that resume sounds a lot like what got Mac hired here.

Maybe it’s not fair to Littrell, but that resume sounds a lot like what got Mac hired here.

Disagree, but okay. I think the biggest difference is they got a lot better his first year at UNT, Air Raid guy, so we'll have a little bit more of an identity than I think we do right now. He's worth interviewing, but Jeff Tedford would be my leader. What he's done at Fresno is impressive.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...littrell-may-be-headed-down-tom-hermans-path/

Back