What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

OSU game fallout thread

I imagine Aranda is one of the few who will make the jump from coordinator to tier 1 HC, so I don't see anything that would have him even consider CU. Same thing with Venables if he decides to make a move. Don't know much about Seth Littrell. I'm sure he can recruit the **** out of Texas. Jimmy Lake sounds good. Knows the footprint well, smart coach, etc. Mike Gundy would probably be my #1 choice, if available. I think every CU fan would take the consistent success he's had, run with it and never think twice.

Barnett and “accountability” in the same sentence is odd. So is the idea he would change the culture. Isn’t his lack of accountability and poor culture what got CU in trouble last time?
No, It was his straight forward answer during an interview, that subsequently was made into a shortened sound bite, and Betsy Hoffman's refusal to back the truth and derail the witch hunt.

The thing about Littrell is he has coached under Leach, Kevin Wilson, and Larry Fedora. The latter two have not been great HCs, but they know offense. The Texas (particularly DFW) ties are also big.

The thing about Littrell is he has coached under Leach, Kevin Wilson, and Larry Fedora. The latter two have not been great HCs, but they know offense. The Texas (particularly DFW) ties are also big.
So the offensive version of Mac who coached under Cutcliffe, Parcells, etc.

No, It was his straight forward answer during an interview, that subsequently was made into a shortened sound bite, and Betsy Hoffman's refusal to back the truth and derail the witch hunt.
Look I don’t blame Barnett for some of the bad s**t that went down when he was head coach, but he was the head coach and accountability was not his strong suit. We literally got penalized for lack of institutional control which doesn’t scream “accountability” to me no matter how much we all want to believe Barnett was a victim in the whole saga.

Does he run a Mike Leach Air Raid? I see their QB, Mason Fine, is the 2nd leading passer in the country and their offense is top 25 in both yards and points (37.9/game).

I don’t get it. Andy Reid has full control. Maybe that was sarcasm.
Sarcasm, but when you’re the OC of the best offense in the NFL you’re going to be considered for HC jobs (regardless of his role vis a vis Andy Reid) which is amazing to me considering how bad it worked out for him as OC here.

CU would take a gigantic step forward in recruiting Texas with Littrell. Dude is very well known and does a great job in that aspect. If he could assemble a staff that included a lot of connections in Southern Cal, along with an experience DC, I would be very interested.

Bill McCartney had never coached West of the Mississippi, either. Coaching is coaching. Recruiting is recruiting. I don’t care where the guy comes from if he can get the job done.

CU would take a gigantic step forward in recruiting Texas with Littrell. Dude is very well known and does a great job in that aspect. If he could assemble a staff that included a lot of connections in Southern Cal, along with an experience DC, I would be very interested.
Does he have the connections to pull a P5 staff together?

Bill McCartney had never coached West of the Mississippi, either. Coaching is coaching. Recruiting is recruiting. I don’t care where the guy comes from if he can get the job done.

when will we stop making comparisons to someone whose career was nearly 30 years ago, and benefited from being ahead of the herd on recruiting a certain type of athlete? my grandpa played for Woody Hayes as a 6'1, 220 lb two-way OL and DL...don't think a reincarnated Woody would have the same success today

my biggest thing when/if we need to search for a new coach is experience with attitude and accountability – the way Peterson and Whittingham coach and carry themselves would be my benchmark

when will we stop making comparisons to someone whose career was nearly 30 years ago, and benefited from being ahead of the herd on recruiting a certain type of athlete? my grandpa played for Woody Hayes as a 6'1, 220 lb two-way OL and DL...don't think a reincarnated Woody would have the same success today

my biggest thing when/if we need to search for a new coach is experience with attitude and accountability – the way Peterson and Whittingham coach and carry themselves would be my benchmark
I’m not comparing anything. I’m merely using McCartney as an example of a successful coach at Colorado who had zero ties to the West. I think a better question would be: “why does it matter if the candidate has ties to Colorado or the West?”

I’m not comparing anything. I’m merely using McCartney as an example of a successful coach at Colorado who had zero ties to the West. I think a better question would be: “why does it matter if the candidate has ties to Colorado or the West?”

For every Bill McCartney, there are 3-4 Mike Bobos. He had no ties to this region before he took the CSU job, and he's never gotten them near where Sparkles had them.

To everyone that is advocating "thorough search" now, don't forget that those things take time, so you don't also get to bitch later about how long it takes if/when it comes to that.

Yeah, but Woody had a great left hook.

To everyone that is advocating "thorough search" now, don't forget that those things take time, so you don't also get to bitch later about how long it takes if/when it comes to that.
it would be a valid bitch if RG didn't already have a short-list

I think everyone here would put their trust in RG for the most part. Now if they fire him prior to the season being over and it takes to late January or something, I think there’d be justified beef.

A "short-list," and "thorough search" are mutually exclusive.
I respectfully disagree. the thorough search could've (maybe should've) started months, if not years ago. Only the formal interviews are gated on the actual job opening.

Edit: I acknowledge the college is different than the pros, but in Ron Wolfe's book, The Packer Way, he addresses this subject. Part of his job was constantly maintaining a short list of replacement coaches and players.

Last edited:
Yes, can we please limit ourselves to only a few, pre-selected options.

That sounds like the best way to get a good coach.
did you mean to quote me here? your response doesn't seem related to my post.

I would expect the AD to constantly maintain a short-list, based on ongoing thorough research. pre-selection has nothing to do with what I was suggesting, being proactive and maintaining a continuous improvement mindset is.

did you mean to quote me here? your response doesn't seem related to my post.

I would expect the AD to constantly maintain a short-list, based on ongoing thorough research. pre-selection has nothing to do with what I was suggesting, being proactive and maintaining a continuous improvement mindset is.
You were the one suggesting we only look at a small list of preselected options, yes?

For every Bill McCartney, there are 3-4 Mike Bobos. He had no ties to this region before he took the CSU job, and he's never gotten them near where Sparkles had them.
See, now you are comparing McCartney to somebody else. My point was that it doesn’t make a difference where a coach is from. If a guy can coach, he can coach. If he can recruit, he can recruit. I honestly don’t care where the coach has spent his career up to this point.

These things also get wrapped up within reasonable timelines at most schools as well.

Back