What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

OSU game fallout thread

See, now you are comparing McCartney to somebody else. My point was that it doesn’t make a difference where a coach is from. If a guy can coach, he can coach. If he can recruit, he can recruit. I honestly don’t care where the coach has spent his career up to this point.

It may not matter where the head coach has coached, but it does matter when assembling an assistant coaching staff. You need connections.

See, now you are comparing McCartney to somebody else. My point was that it doesn’t make a difference where a coach is from. If a guy can coach, he can coach. If he can recruit, he can recruit. I honestly don’t care where the coach has spent his career up to this point.

There's where your wrong. That matters. When you're located where we are, your priorities have to be TX/LA and the Pac 12 footprint. If we get an assistant or two who has some connections in some other place (Cabral in Hawaii when he was here and Leavitt in Florida and Georgia), I'm all for it, but we can't make it a priority. It does matter-compare CSU's recruiting under Bobo to McElwain.

You were the one suggesting we only look at a small list of preselected options, yes?
no. not at all. read my post that you just quoted.

I think the AD should be looking across the nation, constantly, for possibilities to improve. I believe he should be maintaining a short list that is constantly evolving. I believe that maintaining this list should be an ongoing activity that never stops until a hire is made, and then starts over again the next day.

I never stated or suggested that the AD only look at a small list, and never stated or suggested that it be limited to only "preselected options" (not that I'm sure what that means).

This **** should really ramp up late Friday night or on Saturday morning. I am looking forward to the next coaching search because this season is going to end badly now. I hope I am wrong and we win 2 and someone poaches him but I doubt it. I think he is fired the day after or on the plane back from Berkley.

I respectfully disagree. the thorough search could've (maybe should've) started months, if not years ago. Only the formal interviews are gated on the actual job opening.
A good AD has a short-list for the "oh **** I need to hire a coach yesterday" disaster scenario.

But the entire point of a "thorough search" is to uncover quality candidates that the AD would not normally come across. I.e. Coaches who are not already in their "network" or on their "short list."

Those types of searches, in today's day and age, can't be done in secret. Which means you can't really do one if your current coach is, you know, still your current coach.

And to address Duff's point: yes, a thorough search can be done efficiently and in a reasonable amount of time.

But, we should be deliberate about what a "reasonable amount of time" really is. Key dates:
Scheduled Regent's meetings: Nov 8-9
Last game: Nov 24
"off campus"/"in home" recruiting period starts: Nov 25
Scheduled Regent's meeting: Dec 12
Holiday recruiting "quiet period:" Dec 16 (no more in person visits, but contact still allowed)
Holiday recruiting "dead period:" Dec 17-Jan 10 (no contact)
"off campus"/"in home" recruiting period resumes: Jan 11
Scheduled Regent's meetings: Jan 10-11

Potential bowl game practices, team travel, etc might need to be added to the above.

If HCMM is fired on the Monday after the season is over (Nov 26), I think it would be really hard to do a true "thorough search," and have a coach in place prior to Dec 16 - and if you can't have at least the head coach in place before Dec 16, the "true deadline" to have the coach and most, if not all, of the staff in place is Jan 10 - which is plenty of time for a "thorough search."

Which brings a side note: if you're not doing a thorough search, you damn well better have someone hired several days before the recruiting quiet/dead periods begin.

I really don't think you can do both a thorough search, and beat the "whatever it is before Dec 15" that they have to be hired so that they can be on board and officially contact recruits on or before Dec 16.

At which point, deep breath: Dec 22, or 29, or whatever is just fine - as long as you've got a full staff ready to go Jan 11.

....Which means you can't really do one if your current coach is, you know, still your current coach.
I read your full post carefully and this is the only point where I'm disagreeing with you.

it's done all the time.

Most (all?) P5 schools use a search firm in their coaching search. These firms analyze data, interview targets, players and other coaches associated with the target. Search firms sell their analysis reports to a number of colleges. HCMM would have no idea if Rick George was purchasing a search firm's output as presumably their client list is confidential and business would suffer if they let it leak. Given the drop-off from 2016 to last year, certainly following Saturday's collapse, I'd be a bit shocked if the CUAD wasn't already getting this information.

Like I said earlier, I really don't see where anything other than the interviews are gated by the position being open.

I’m not comparing anything. I’m merely using McCartney as an example of a successful coach at Colorado who had zero ties to the West. I think a better question would be: “why does it matter if the candidate has ties to Colorado or the West?”

fair, I'm just using this to vent about the Mac and Mac comparisons...feels like every school is looking for their historic coach reincarnate

it would be a valid bitch if RG didn't already have a short-list
A "short-list," and "thorough search" are mutually exclusive.

A short list doesn't mean you are locked into the names on that list, it means you have a good idea where to start your search.

Of course you take inquiries from others who may be qualified who may reach out to you and/or to others who are recommended to you in the course of the search.

The short list just means you aren't just wandering around wondering where to start while other schools are grabbing the best candidates leaving you with scraps.

I'd have to look further to see who he has coached with, but that would probably be his biggest issue.

His offensive staff is really young-Graham Harrell is OC (former Texas Tech QB), Tashard Choice is his RB coach (he played with a buddy of mine at Georgia Tech 10ish years ago lol), and Joel Filani is WRs (One year of coaching experience before he went there, but it was at Wazzu for Leach-who he played for at Tech). OL coach is a guy named Chuck Langston (coached at Lamar before he went to UNT.....TX high school experience too....including a stop at Trinity in Euless. Didn't Lee Foliaki come from there?). DC is a dude named Troy Reffett (bulk of his experience is at Group of 5 schools in LA and TX).

Last edited:
So had CU held on to beat OSU the other day, even if the score had remained 31-3, would you still be asking "who are we going to beat"? One half of awful play and coaching and all of a sudden, CU won't win another game?
Yes. I did before the OSU game.

Greg Schiano is interesting. Put in work at Rutgers where he stayed longer than he should've, tried the NFL for a hot minute, then has been DC at OSU. I do think he'd be a pretty good choice, but his career has always been east coast. He'd definitely try to get us recruiting FL, and I'm not sure that's the ticket. If he'd hire a bunch of CA/TX recruiters and go that route, that'd be a good choice.
Would Cu be willing to touch this? Even Tennessee passed.
'Court documents of the deposition released in July 2016 said McQueary indicated Bradley said Schiano went to him in the early 1990s "white as a ghost and said he just saw Jerry doing something to a boy in the shower.'''

So the offensive version of Mac who coached under Cutcliffe, Parcells, etc.
I hear about David Cutcliff all the time ("oooh, this coach coached under Dave Cutcliff")...but what is the deal with that guy? Why does everyone mention him like he's Bear Bryant or something?

I hear about David Cutcliff all the time ("oooh, this coach coached under Dave Cutcliff")...but what is the deal with that guy? Why does everyone mention him like he's Bear Bryant or something?
Not sure if it is "Bear Bryant" level but people see him as a "QB whisperer" due to the fact that he was QB coach/OC for Peyton Manning, then HC/recruiter for Eli Manning at Ole Miss and did pretty well there but had a bad year and got fired. Then he was back at Tennessee as OC and turned things around while coaching Erik Ainge. Then got the HC gig at Duke and has made them a respectable football team. His "aura" comes from working closely with the Mannings and of course Todd Helton (j/k).

However, Cutliffe has already turned down the Tennessee HC job to remain at Duke so there would be no realistic shot at bringing him to CU to replace someone in his "coaching tree" (he was fired at Ole Miss for being "too" loyal to his staff).

Not sure if it is "Bear Bryant" level but people see him as a "QB whisperer" due to the fact that he was QB coach/OC for Peyton Manning, then HC/recruiter for Eli Manning at Ole Miss and did pretty well there but had a bad year and got fired. Then he was back at Tennessee as OC and turned things around while coaching Erik Ainge. Then got the HC gig at Duke and has made them a respectable football team. His "aura" comes from working closely with the Mannings and of course Todd Helton (j/k).

However, Cutliffe has already turned down the Tennessee HC job to remain at Duke so there would be no realistic shot at bringing him to CU to replace someone in his "coaching tree" (he was fired at Ole Miss for being "too" loyal to his staff).
Thanks for the background. Still seems like his aura outshines his actual accomplishments. Maybe it's just me.

Would Cu be willing to touch this? Even Tennessee passed.
'Court documents of the deposition released in July 2016 said McQueary indicated Bradley said Schiano went to him in the early 1990s "white as a ghost and said he just saw Jerry doing something to a boy in the shower.'''
Do a little more research, it’s not that simple...
Schiano was on Joe Paterno’s Penn State staff from 1990-95, during which time it is alleged that he witnessed Jerry Sandusky acting inappropriately with a young boy.

The key word there is “alleged.”

The allegation came in a 2015 deposition from former Penn State quarterback and assistant Mike McQueary regarding a conversation he allegedly had with another Penn State assistant, Tom Bradley.

“He said another assistant coach had come to him in the early ’90s about a very similar situation to mine, and he said that he had — someone had come to him as far back as early as the ’80s about seeing Jerry Sandusky doing something with a boy,” McQueary said.

Schiano is said to be the assistant from the early 90s.

So, McQueary is relaying a 14-year-old, third-hand conversation about something that allegedly happened 25 years before that he did not witness and of which there is no evidence. No accuser ever came forward. No charges were brought against Schiano. Bradley even testified under oath that he had no knowledge of Sandusky’s actions, contradicting McQueary’s statement.

Tennessee succumbed to fan pressure and that entire coaching search was a circus.

Last edited:
This **** should really ramp up late Friday night or on Saturday morning. I am looking forward to the next coaching search because this season is going to end badly now. I hope I am wrong and we win 2 and someone poaches him but I doubt it. I think he is fired the day after or on the plane back from Berkley.
RG: “Mac, Come over here by the door. We need to talk.”
MM: “So, what’s up Rick? The players didn’t come through today, did they?”
1B4D59D1-5D38-459D-BE28-5BF29FAD3184.png

Yes, because Sumlin isn't a *****
Umm...
aa8d8e4ca3a500ff2785d5670ff9d951.png

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/400933838

Back