What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Other games weekend of 8/31-9/3

I keep saying this and no one seems to agree (or want to acknowledge), but Hawk found his level at UC Davis. I expect him to have tremendous success there and, if they choose to do so, it will springboard that university to the FBS level.
I grew up in Davis. Big Aggie fan. But that will never happen.

That's what I'd always thought. But in a couple interviews I saw with their young president I was pretty impressed and wouldn't be surprised if leadership took them to another level in athletics - particularly with the coaching hires they've made showing they're serious. I really like what Jim Les has been doing as HC for the hoops program.

Am I the only one who thinks that Hawk dominating MM's former team is an incredibly bad omen for this season?
Not at all. Hawkins fits at that level of football (in all seriousness), and MM is looooong gone from SJSU.

I grew up in East Sac going to Davis games with my dad.

UC Davis was above .500 in football, and often far above .500, every season from at least 1970 to 2010 under Jim Sochor, Bob Biggs, and Bob Foster. In those 40 years, they won 24 conference championships and produced NFL players like Ken O'Brien and a number of coaches like Petersen and Hawkins. If that sustained level of football success didn't springboard them to any higher level, I don't see any level of success that Hawk could have there that would be more impressive.

I think Davis football knows and likes its niche. Though they have regressed in the last decade or so from that peak.

That said, I would love to see it. Sacramento's biggest exports are rice and good football players. MW and Pac-12 rosters are stacked with Sacramento/Placer county players. It's always been sad that there's no viable option for them to stay home and play in the big time. Fresno State is ostensibly the Valley's team but Fresno is farther away than Cal or Stanford. Sacramento State may be the college football program that does the least with the most talented players in a 50 mile radius. They're consistently abysmal.

If you're ever frustrated with the bureaucracy or "anti-football" sentiment in the CU system, just imagine trying to upgrade a football program in the UC system (or even just expanding the stadium, which was allegedly built with expansion in mind)... Davis is only 65 mile from Berkeley.

I grew up in East Sac going to Davis games with my dad.

UC Davis was above .500 in football, and often far above .500, every season from at least 1970 to 2010 under Jim Sochor, Bob Biggs, and Bob Foster. In those 40 years, they won 24 conference championships and produced NFL players like Ken O'Brien and a number of coaches like Petersen and Hawkins. If that sustained level of football success didn't springboard them to any higher level, I don't see any level of success that Hawk could have there that would be more impressive.

I think Davis football knows and likes its niche. Though they have regressed in the last decade or so from that peak.

That said, I would love to see it. Sacramento's biggest exports are rice and good football players. MW and Pac-12 rosters are stacked with Sacramento/Placer county players. It's always been sad that there's no viable option for them to stay home and play in the big time. Fresno State is ostensibly the Valley's team but Fresno is farther away than Cal or Stanford. Sacramento State may be the college football program that does the least with the most talented players in a 50 mile radius. They're consistently abysmal.

If you're ever frustrated with the bureaucracy or "anti-football" sentiment in the CU system, just imagine trying to upgrade a football program in the UC system (or even just expanding the stadium, which was allegedly built with expansion in mind)... Davis is only 65 mile from Berkeley.
Pretty much my sentiment exactly (I was there from 1979-1992). They like where they are. I think Sac State has a little more of an identity crises...but they also beat CU IN Boulder...so they got that going for them.

Am I the only one who thinks that Hawk dominating MM's former team is an incredibly bad omen for this season?
First off, no. There is exactly zero connection to the Buffs at this point.

I didn't watch that game, but a 6 point victory is dominating? Also, something must have been up with the SJSU QBs as 3 saw playing time, 1 throwing as many completions to the other team as he did to his own.

Stanford misses a 38 yard field goal after going the length of the field pretty easily.

Back