What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Over or under 2 wins in 2022?

I might not be adequately taking into account how miserable the bottom half of the Pac12 might be.
Unfortunately for myself, I try to convince myself if this every year. Never works out.

The one thing that’s going to piss me off to no end is when ASU wins 8 (and beats us).

TCU and Cal are losses, potentially big ones IMO.
I'd be shocked if TCU was very good at the beginning of the year. Dykes teams usually start off slow. The talent difference obviously favors TCU, but I'd be surprised if that was a big loss.

So much falls on whether Shrout is good or not. The QB play last year was beyond the worst I've ever seen at CU.

I'd be shocked if TCU was very good at the beginning of the year. Dykes teams usually start off slow. The talent difference obviously favors TCU, but I'd be surprised if that was a big loss.

So much falls on whether Shrout is good or not. The QB play last year was beyond the worst I've ever seen at CU.
TCU will have an edge at most of the 22 positions on the field. They simply have recruited at a higher level.

And I am going to defend B. Lewis here. He was not the worst QB I have seen at CU. Bernard Jackson, he could run, but his throws were far worse. And watching Corky become the worldwide leader at passes batted down at the LOS was worse, IMO. Once everyone figured out he could not go downfield, it got ugly. Let's not even revisit the KU debacle.

Lewis was running for his life much of his time, and there were times when the run game fell flat too. Does he have work to do? Sure, what first year QB starter doesn't, but he was not even close to the biggest problem last year.

TCU will have an edge at most of the 22 positions on the field. They simply have recruited at a higher level.

And I am going to defend B. Lewis here. He was not the worst QB I have seen at CU. Bernard Jackson, he could run, but his throws were far worse. And watching Corky become the worldwide leader at passes batted down at the LOS was worse, IMO. Once everyone figured out he could not go downfield, it got ugly. Let's not even revisit the KU debacle.

Lewis was running for his life much of his time, and there were times when the run game fell flat too. Does he have work to do? Sure, what first year QB starter doesn't, but he was not even close to the biggest problem last year.
OL was the biggest problem, but his indecisiveness and extremely slow processing as a passer was a major issue as well. Of course, a lot of that can be attributed to Chev as a coordinator and Langsdorf as a QB Coach. This CU team has a new OL coach, new OC, new QB coach, at least two new starters on the OL and likely a new starting QB, hence the reason I think taking much from last year's offense and applying it to this year is a fool's errand.

OL was the biggest problem, but his indecisiveness and extremely slow processing as a passer was a major issue as well. Of course, a lot of that can be attributed to Chev as a coordinator and Langsdorf as a QB Coach. This CU team has a new OL coach, new OC, new QB coach, at least two new starters on the OL and likely a new starting QB, hence the reason I think taking much from last year's offense and applying it to this year is a fool's errand.
I pretty much agree. I am not sure B. Lewis is not the best QB CU has. He was slow to react, and his reads were not always on the money, but he was a first year starter, working behind a, ahem, challenged OL. People are ready to dump him and anoint Shrout. I haven't seen much out of Shrout. Maybe he is better, but I am in the B. Lewis has the tools to be a solid P12 QB camp. If Shrout or somebody else can take the job from him, fine, but he gets a bad rap too often, IMO.

I still keeping thinking back to the Lewis who played at the end of '20 and looked decent. How did that QB turn into the 2021 version?
Most of the time he was in a game that was already over and the opposing D was playing back ups and playing vanilla. He has tools, he just needs some more experience. But, he may not get it if Shrout takes the reins. We'll see.

Saying Lewis was slightly better than Jackson is not the ringing endorsement you are looking for. They both were awful. It's obvious he has way more arm talent than Jackson ever did, but they both sucked mightily. If you want, I will put Jackson at slightly ****tier QB than 2021 Lewis. Woot!

Hopefully, Lewis can improve with a better OC and oline play. However, we are going to have to hope Shrout is the real deal because Lewis is not going to just improve that much in one offseason. He had plenty of chances in games last year to make plays and very rarely did. He has a very long, methodical windup that is not going to work at the P5 level. He waits until a receiver is widddddddde open before he pulls the trigger. These aren't good traits. I really hope I am wrong and he improves vastly, but that is not going to happen in one offseason, if ever.

I am putting my hope (very minimal hope at that) into Shrout because CU simply doesn't have the time for Lewis to develop in the next two years.

Hope you are right.

I see CU, ASU, and Arizona all being sub-four win teams.

Saying Lewis was slightly better than Jackson is not the ringing endorsement you are looking for. They both were awful. It's obvious he has way more arm talent than Jackson ever did, but they both sucked mightily. If you want, I will put Jackson at slightly ****tier QB than 2021 Lewis. Woot!

Hopefully, Lewis can improve with a better OC and oline play. However, we are going to have to hope Shrout is the real deal because Lewis is not going to just improve that much in one offseason. He had plenty of chances in games last year to make plays and very rarely did. He has a very long, methodical windup that is not going to work at the P5 level. He waits until a receiver is widddddddde open before he pulls the trigger. These aren't good traits. I really hope I am wrong and he improves vastly, but that is not going to happen in one offseason, if ever.

I am putting my hope (very minimal hope at that) into Shrout because CU simply doesn't have the time for Lewis to develop in the next two years.
I never said Lewis was slightly better than BJax. He is substantially better. His shortcomings (long wind up, slow decision making) can be corrected. If Shrout is better so be it.

Lewis was not statistically different than Dylan Morris at UW, Ethan Garber at UCLA or Will Plummer at AZ. All of them were within 24 pts. of one another in QB rating, and .8 ypa of each other with Lewis having the second best QB rating of the four. Garbers did not play a great deal, but the point is Lewis was on par with the other 4 frosh P12 QB's and simply doesn't deserve the narrative that he was comparable to BJax. He put up numbers that compared, on the average, to any other P12 frosh QB, and he did it with probably the worst OL in the conference in front of him.

Now, perhaps Shrout is better. Perhaps Lewis will not show the improvement one expects. Normally most players show the most improvement in their second year starting. But I think it is BS to create the narrative he is some sort of crappy QB and the cause of CU's impotent offense last year. He was one of the few bright spots, and given his well-documented areas that need improvement, that is saying something.

Lewis had a 3 to 1 TD to INT ratio. His ypa of 6.0 was below par, but no different that the other frosh QB's noted above. He did not produce a lot of offense in pure numbers, but he also had the fewest attempts of any P12 QB that played regularly, aside from Garbers, who was DTR's understudy. I completely disagree with the "Lewis is slightly less ****ty than BJax" take.

Last edited:
I still keeping thinking back to the Lewis who played at the end of '20 and looked decent. How did that QB turn into the 2021 version?
I got the strong impression that CU has significantly over-emphasized never throwing an INT.

He was timid, afraid to be aggressive to the point he couldn't get out of the mental space of not releasing unless he was absolutely sure. Then on deep balls, the preference was to throw an uncatchable ball vs throwing a 50/50 ball. I hope that was Chev & maybe Lindgren because if it's KD driving this we are screwed.

I got the strong impression that CU has significantly over-emphasized never throwing an INT.

He was timid, afraid to be aggressive to the point he couldn't get out of the mental space of not releasing unless he was absolutely sure. Then on deep balls, the preference was to throw an uncatchable ball vs throwing a 50/50 ball. I hope that was Chev & maybe Lindgren because if it's KD driving this we are screwed.
I think you are a whole lot more right than wrong.

More fundamental to this conversation, why are we having it? Our football “program” is ****ed. Suggest we all find a different diversion to occupy our time (btw, up until very recently, I would have never imagined making that suggestion. Times have changed bitches).

More fundamental to this conversation, why are we having it? Our football “program” is ****ed. Suggest we all find a different diversion to occupy our time (btw, up until very recently, I would have never imagined making that suggestion. Times have changed bitches).
I guess I still hold out hope. I look at the situation, and when I take my buff colored glasses off, I just wish for basketball season.

That's the spirit!

I never said Lewis was slightly better than BJax. He is substantially better. His shortcomings (long wind up, slow decision making) can be corrected. If Shrout is better so be it.

Lewis was not statistically different than Dylan Morris at UW, Ethan Garber at UCLA or Will Plummer at AZ. All of them were within 24 pts. of one another in QB rating, and .8 ypa of each other with Lewis having the second best QB rating of the four. Garbers did not play a great deal, but the point is Lewis was on par with the other 4 frosh P12 QB's and simply doesn't deserve the narrative that he was comparable to BJax. He put up numbers that compared, on the average, to any other P12 frosh QB, and he did it with probably the worst OL in the conference in front of him.

Now, perhaps Shrout is better. Perhaps Lewis will not show the improvement one expects. Normally most players show the most improvement in their second year starting. But I think it is BS to create the narrative he is some sort of crappy QB and the cause of CU's impotent offense last year. He was one of the few bright spots, and given his well-documented areas that need improvement, that is saying something.

Lewis had a 3 to 1 TD to INT ratio. His ypa of 6.0 was below par, but no different that the other frosh QB's noted above. He did not produce a lot of offense in pure numbers, but he also had the fewest attempts of any P12 QB that played regularly, aside from Garbers, who was DTR's understudy. I completely disagree with the "Lewis is slightly less ****ty than BJax" take.
Probably poor choice of words describing Lewis' 2021 season, but young or not, he was awful and the stats you provided back that up. We will see if it was because he was hindered by a horrendous OC and oline play/coaching, or if he is just not a P5 QB.

I hope he is the next great CU QB

I'm not going to lie and say I have much hope for the football program, right now. I don't believe it isn't fixable. I believe it is, but I'm pretty sure y'all know what that entails. The powers that be have to get on board. They don't, we'll see no change.

I'm not going to lie and say I have much hope for the football program, right now. I don't believe it isn't fixable. I believe it is, but I'm pretty sure y'all know what that entails. The powers that be have to get on board. They don't, we'll see no change.

This is along those lines of the administration putting more emphasis on football the benefits. This story is behind a paywall but sounds like another example of a school's applications going up due to football success. Crazy, I know

With Chiv as his OC anything was possible!

I still think Chiv, on top of being a crappy, hare-brained OC (and piss-poor WR coach), was working hard to sabotage KD, in an attempt to get the HC job he felt was his! If he wasn't deliberately doing that, what would he have done differently???

We're playing ourselves? Spring Showcase National Championship, mother****ers!
Season 2 Home GIF by Sony Pictures Television

Back