What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Over or under 2 wins in 2022?

Aren't the two intertwined? Being 0-12 is a scandal, on how he received that contract and how is he still employed (after historically bad production, incompetent coaching hires, yells at the media and even shoves them). Seriously, the scandal would have to rock the school not just the program in order to get RG to move on from Dorrell.
Nah. A poor season along with any kind of scandal that’s bad enough to allow CU to get out from under his contract would be enough. Despite what some here think, I truly don’t believe RG is OK with losing

Nah. A poor season along with any kind of scandal that’s bad enough to allow CU to get out from under his contract would be enough. Despite what some here think, I truly don’t believe RG is OK with losing
At times I can half convince myself RG is nearly blameless in this mess, but then I remember that the huge hoard of cash he had lined of Sark & Co was handed straight over to Plan D Karl Dorrell and his merry band of dimwits.

At times I can half convince myself RG is nearly blameless in this mess, but then I remember that the huge hoard of cash he had lined of Sark & Co was handed straight over to Plan D Karl Dorrell and his merry band of dimwits.
Yes, but there’s also a bit of a group think echo chamber here on AllBuffs and that entire rumor was based on some unconfirmed, anonymous insider scoop. End of the day, we don’t know all the details.

Yes, but there’s also a bit of a group think echo chamber here on AllBuffs and that entire rumor was based on some unconfirmed, anonymous insider scoop. End of the day, we don’t know all the details.
It is actually FAR WORSE for RG if he didn’t make the plays for Sark or EB that were described here. In the world where that speculation is untrue, RG basically thought that Karl Dorrell was a top candidate to take over after Mel Tucker. The concept that RG tried and failed to get better coaching options instills a scintilla of faith in him. Without it, he chose someone nobody else wanted to be CU’s highest paid coach ever.

It is actually FAR WORSE for RG if he didn’t make the plays for Sark or EB that were described here. In the world where that speculation is untrue, RG basically thought that Karl Dorrell was a top candidate to take over after Mel Tucker. The concept that RG tried and failed to get better coaching options instills a scintilla of faith in him. Without it, he chose someone nobody else wanted to be CU’s highest paid coach ever.
After RG had dealt with MM looking for a way out, he then had MT expressing frustration over CU not fulfilling promises of cooperation and bolting after a year, EB refusing over CU refusing to meet demands for cooperation and SS backing out for the same reasons to stay in a coordinator role. So, yeah, I believe that RG wants to win, knows that he needs a recruiter to get the program back to where it was, but realized it was an impossible path to hire and retain a guy who fits that profile with how things are at CU. Therefore, he went with stability and a guy who has eyes wide open on CU whom boosters would support and could hopefully stabilize things and build a foundation (maybe even win) under the current administration and culture.

Having experienced it and how difficult it is to be responsible for an organization but with ownership that doesn't value success and growth as the top priorities, I understand why RG changed course like he did. Just as I understand why MB had previously done the job to align with the reality of his bosses' values instead of pushing his own agenda.

After RG had dealt with MM looking for a way out, he then had MT expressing frustration over CU not fulfilling promises of cooperation and bolting after a year, EB refusing over CU refusing to meet demands for cooperation and SS backing out for the same reasons to stay in a coordinator role. So, yeah, I believe that RG wants to win, knows that he needs a recruiter to get the program back to where it was, but realized it was an impossible path to hire and retain a guy who fits that profile with how things are at CU. Therefore, he went with stability and a guy who has eyes wide open on CU whom boosters would support and could hopefully stabilize things and build a foundation (maybe even win) under the current administration and culture.

Having experienced it and how difficult it is to be responsible for an organization but with ownership that doesn't value success and growth as the top priorities, I understand why RG changed course like he did. Just as I understand why MB had previously done the job to align with the reality of his bosses' values instead of pushing his own agenda.
Ok then give that guy a contract that appropriately protects the AD knowing we’re taking a huge risk on a guy no one else wants - even if I can understand (if not agree) with the decision to hire KD, there is just no excuse for the contract he was given.

Also curious on your note about booster support - is KD someone boosters were or are excited about?

Ok then give that guy a contract that appropriately protects the AD knowing we’re taking a huge risk on a guy no one else wants - even if I can understand (if not agree) with the decision to hire KD, there is just no excuse for the contract he was given.

Also curious on your note about booster support - is KD someone boosters were or are excited about?
Known guy from the BM tree with a strong connection to the glory years. That's why I believe KD has support from that network that guys like DH and MM (as well as MB as AD) never did.

My guess on the contract is that RG worked very hard and expended a ton of political capital on getting our coaching pay scale competitive with other P5 programs and he wasn't going to allow it to slide back. I also suspect that if, like I'm assuming, he hired for stability then he would have ensured the KD contract wouldn't allow CU to get trigger happy in the first 3 or 4 years.

Known guy from the BM tree with a strong connection to the glory years. That's why I believe KD has support from that network that guys like DH and MM (as well as MB as AD) never did.

My guess on the contract is that RG worked very hard and expended a ton of political capital on getting our coaching pay scale competitive with other P5 programs and he wasn't going to allow it to slide back. I also suspect that if, like I'm assuming, he hired for stability then he would have ensured the KD contract wouldn't allow CU to get trigger happy in the first 3 or 4 years.
Maybe - I mean despite all this losing I hope that nostalgia for the glory days is bearing fruit in terms of money coming in from that group but based on the NIL defections I’m having a hard time believing we’re pulling in anything based on KD’s ties to the glory days.

I have zero issues with the value of KD’s contract, but fully guaranteeing it was unforgivable. KD had zero leverage in that negotiation to expect a long leash.

Maybe - I mean despite all this losing I hope that nostalgia for the glory days is bearing fruit in terms of money coming in from that group but based on the NIL defections I’m having a hard time believing we’re pulling in anything based on KD’s ties to the glory days.

I have zero issues with the value of KD’s contract, but fully guaranteeing it was unforgivable. KD had zero leverage in that negotiation to expect a long leash.
RG has shown twice now that he's not great with contract mechanics. And by not great, I mean absolutely terrible.

RG has shown twice now that he's not great with contract mechanics. And by not great, I mean absolutely terrible.
Is he a bad negotiator or is it his plan that’s terrible? Im trying to understand in what world fully guaranteeing KD’s contract is a good strategic move for the AD. I’d almost prefer it (barely) if it turns out he was loopy from back surgery and just got outsmarted in contract negotiation in a weak moment - if he deliberately did it for some strategic reason that would be scary.

I don’t understand it. He’s paid handsomely to hire winning football coaches AND to convince others in the University of his vision.

I don’t understand it. He’s paid handsomely to hire winning football coaches AND to convince others in the University of his vision.
Being a HC or AD at CU is the easiest job in the country. Expectations are extremely low and as long as you don’t make bad press you’ll collect a paycheck longer than you would at any other respectable institution.

I think KD’s agent knew he had the upper hand and skinned RG.

I think KD’s agent knew he had the upper hand and skinned RG.
I have always assumed it went more along the lines of, "Here's the package I got approved for Sark and can offer to you." Then, that the negotiation was really about program needs, vision, support that can be expected, and how certain restrictions & limitations could be mitigated or overcome.

I have always assumed it went more along the lines of, "Here's the package I got approved for Sark and can offer to you." Then, that the negotiation was really about program needs, vision, support that can be expected, and how certain restrictions & limitations could be mitigated or overcome.
Apparently, never a thought about what if KD replicated his track record here at CU...or maybe they were just fine with sub-mediocrity.

Vastly disturbing if true.

Rumor was that RG offered Sark over 4 million a year

Pittman had a lower salary/bigger incentive contract to start. He proved himself on field, on trail and with boosters/fans. Expended at Arkie for 5M per year.

isn’t the way it’s supposed to be done?
That is exactly how a competent AD handles it.

He should have been fired after the camera incident..period..especially since he failed to apologize for almost 24 hours.
What kind of unbelievably small man does that? I didn’t feel any sort of anger or outrage. Pity and disbelief are the words that come closest.

He should have been fired after the camera incident..period..especially since he failed to apologize for almost 24 hours.
Give me a break. Fire him for the team’s performance but if he were 9-3 and recruiting lights out no one would be wanting him gone for that shove.

Should have fired him for cause and promoted coach sled. The problem was that we were only uncoaching the OL. Needed to uncoach everyone

DraftKings has set the line at 3.5. Debating taking the under.

Edit: Yep, I didn't need to think about it that long. Done. I also took the Huskers Under 7.5 wins. It was fun hate watching them last year with a similar bet.

Last edited:
Back