What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pregame Thread - CU vs CSU at Mile High

For those interested or deranged, Ramnation is soon going to be no more. To keep track of the ramblings of our little brother's 12 fans, the new site is http://coloradostate.sportswar.com/

Still same stupid format. Still same stupid posters. Not sure why they even changed it.

Wow. I think that place is more stone age than Ramnation. Didn't know that was possible. Reminds me of an early 90's website.

Of course. We'd have the most dangerous big play threat WR in the Pac-12 this year if P-Rich had returned. It would also put the opponent's CB2 on Spruce instead of its CB1. That's a game changer.

But what we have is still pretty good. I look at McCulloch as a great example of where our WR corps is now versus what it looked like before. He started as a true freshman but isn't starting as a senior. He's better now than he was then, but he's been recruited over.

If PRich is on the field for us this year McCulloch would never see double coverage and would never see the #1 corner against him any time that PRich was playing. Even Spruce would rarely see extra coverage since the major focus would be on keeping PRich from making the explosive plays he made last year.

In the PAC a lot of teams second and third CBs are good enough to be pretty effective against a McCulloch one on one but I like my chances with those guys on Spruce. Instead he will be facing the focus of attention.

Reactions: aik
If PRich is on the field for us this year McCulloch would never see double coverage and would never see the #1 corner against him any time that PRich was playing. Even Spruce would rarely see extra coverage since the major focus would be on keeping PRich from making the explosive plays he made last year.

In the PAC a lot of teams second and third CBs are good enough to be pretty effective against a McCulloch one on one but I like my chances with those guys on Spruce. Instead he will be facing the focus of attention.

What more does Spruce have to do for people to recognize he actually has quite a bit of talent?

What more does Spruce have to do for people to recognize he actually has quite a bit of talent?

No question that Spruce has loads of talent, guy gets open and makes plays.

For that reason until we can give a solid reason not to I fully expect our opponents to give Spruce the star reciever treatment. Teams are going to try to make sure their best cover guys are on him, give help against him, and generally do everything they can to minimize his impact. With all that he will still get his numbers.

My point is that as good as Spruce is a guy like PRich changes the whole approach. He is a guy who could turn any play into a potential TD. Give him a step, miss a tackle, make the wrong read, and he put up 6. With a guy like that on the field Spuce would have a lot more room to work and as he showed last year he can take advantage of it.

We don't have a PRich but it would help a lot if one of the young guys can establish himself as a big play threat. Anything that loosens up the D is going to make Spruce more effective.

Did you mis-types something?

McCulloch won't see double coverage or a CB1 even without P-Rich. Spruce will match up with the other team's best. He'll win that battle.

My point, if it wasn't clear, was that if P-Rich had returned we would have a good #1 WR in Spruce as our 2nd WR overwhelming a CB2.

My other point is that our depth is better than it used to be. I am a little nervous about whether we are going to get enough from the WR committee to keep Spruce in single coverage, though.

Did you mis-types something?

McCulloch won't see double coverage or a CB1 even without P-Rich. Spruce will match up with the other team's best. He'll win that battle.

My point, if it wasn't clear, was that if P-Rich had returned we would have a good #1 WR in Spruce as our 2nd WR overwhelming a CB2.

My other point is that our depth is better than it used to be. I am a little nervous about whether we are going to get enough from the WR committee to keep Spruce in single coverage, though.

No, McCulloch isn't a #1 or even close at this point, JE was trying to use his as that and we saw the results.

Question was if we still had PRich would we win more games.

Answer. Put PRich out there and he draws the lions share of the coverage. Put Spruce on the other side who also has to be accounted for. Where does that leave a defense in terms of resources left to cover the McCulloch's, Goodsens, etc. who are also on the field.

It isn't about these guys being great receivers, they aren't. Instead it's about the pressure that a guy like PRich puts on a defense added to having to deal with a high quality guy like Spruce. You can't cover everybody.

As optimistic as I am that we will be improved overall as a team this year having PRich for another year would have made a huge difference in how teams would have had to defend us.

Exposure. Spruce was in Richardson's shadow last season. His performance last season was as a serviceable possession guy. He has yet to break into the role of fan favorite like a Scotty McKnight or PRich.

During the spring game, Spruce didn't turn heads like Bryce Bobo and those two deep TD completions.

Spruce's pre-season recognition and glowing write-ups and camp reports are all fine and good. But results on the field in live play is what counts most. He has lofty expectations as a potential all P12 receiver. To live up to the hype, he's going to need to show up in the stat column with some 100 yard games, touchdowns, and clutch 3rd down conversions.

CU coaches have indicated that PRich's productivity will have to be reproduced by committee. In my book, that means Spruce, Lee and Goodson are the committee, with Fields, Bobo, Little Mac, and McColloch looking to get on the field.

Spruce needs to separate from the field when it counts.

Exposure. Spruce was in Richardson's shadow last season. His performance last season was as a serviceable possession guy. He has yet to break into the role of fan favorite like a Scotty McKnight or PRich.

During the spring game, Spruce didn't turn heads like Bryce Bobo and those two deep TD completions.

Spruce's pre-season recognition and glowing write-ups and camp reports are all fine and good. But results on the field in live play is what counts most. He has lofty expectations as a potential all P12 receiver. To live up to the hype, he's going to need to show up in the stat column with some 100 yard games, touchdowns, and clutch 3rd down conversions.

CU coaches have indicated that PRich's productivity will have to be reproduced by committee. In my book, that means Spruce, Lee and Goodson are the committee, with Fields, Bobo, Little Mac, and McColloch looking to get on the field.

Spruce needs to separate from the field when it counts.

I actually think that the coaches believe that Spruce will replace P-Rich's production. More catches to get around the same yards. The big issue is replacing Spruce's production from last year. And that will need to happen by committee.

Adam has a nice Q&A with Bernardi today. Think we could see 7 OL play quite a bit during the first month.

I can't believe Ramnation took their first opportunity in 15 years to upgrade their board, but they kept the same awful format :lol:

I can't believe Ramnation took their first opportunity in 15 years to upgrade their board, but they kept the same awful format :lol:

Honestly don't know how anyone can spend any extended amount of time on that board.... it just screams... Mountain West...

Honestly don't know how anyone can spend any extended amount of time on that board.... it just screams... Mountain West...

file this under "cool story bro"

I understand why you get that impression. techsideline,com (TSL), where I go for my orange & maroon fixes, has that same "threaded" format (part of sportswar group). About 2 years ago, they started the change to a vbulletin format (which is what we have at AB). TSL members screamed, yelled, pissed, moaned, wailed and gnashed teeth. I was kinda shocked -- certainly a bunch of grads from an engineering school wouldn't be struggling with a new web page format!?!?!?! Turns out that the format of a message board is very influential on the types of discussions -- members weren't complaining about the new technology, they were complaining about the format of their discussions changing. Biggest difference was that posts became longer and more drawn out, less one-liners; also harder to follow a back and forth discussion on vbulletin than it is on the other format. After a few months, the hit count on TSL started dropping -- BIG TIME. So much so, that techsideline made a knee jerk reaction that really hurt them -- they split the board in two: a threaded one and a vbulletin based one. in hindsight, everyone agrees that move was horrible, but it made some sense at the time. they eventually dropped the vbulletin based board and went back to the unaesthetic, old-school threaded format.

file this under "even less interesting than the above"

techsideline's move to vbulletin probably had more to do with me initially joining AB over netbuffs than anything else -- at the time, I figured that I'd be active on both a CU and a VT site, and also reasoned that if they both used the same platform I'd be most proficient with my sports message board navigating. However, shortly after my Allbuffs immersion, TSL switched back to the old format but I was hooked on (and probably contributing to) the fumes rising from the Allbuffs cesspool by that point.

Last edited:

I understand why you get that impression. techsideline,com (TSL), where I go for my orange & maroon fixes, has that same "threaded" format (part of sportswar group). About 2 years ago, they started the change to a vbulletin format (which is what we have at AB). TSL members screamed, yelled, pissed, moaned, wailed and gnashed teeth. I was kinda shocked -- surly a bunch of grads from an engineering school wouldn't be struggling with a new web page format!?!?!?! Turns out that the format of a message board is very influential on the types of discussions -- members weren't complaining about the new technology, they were complaining about the format of their discussions changing. Biggest difference was that posts became longer and more drawn out, less one-liners; also harder to follow a back and forth discussion on vbulletin than it is on the other format. After a few months, the hit count on TSL started dropping -- BIG TIME. So much so, that techsideline made a knee jerk reaction that really hurt them -- they split the board in two: a threaded one and a vbulletin based one. in hindsight, everyone agrees that move was horrible, but it made some sense at the time. they eventually dropped the vbulletin based board and went back to the unaesthetic, old-school threaded format.

techsideline's move to vbulletin probably had more to do with me initially joining AB over netbuffs than anything else -- at the time, I figured that I'd be active on both a CU and a VT site, and also reasoned that if they both used the same platform I'd be most proficient with my sports message board navigating. However, shortly after my Allbuffs immersion, TSL switched back to the old format but I was hooked on (and probably contributing to) the fumes rising from the Allbuffs cesspool by that point.

Tl;dr

I understand why you get that impression. techsideline,com (TSL), where I go for my orange & maroon fixes, has that same "threaded" format (part of sportswar group). About 2 years ago, they started the change to a vbulletin format (which is what we have at AB). TSL members screamed, yelled, pissed, moaned, wailed and gnashed teeth. I was kinda shocked -- surly a bunch of grads from an engineering school wouldn't be struggling with a new web page format!?!?!?! Turns out that the format of a message board is very influential on the types of discussions -- members weren't complaining about the new technology, they were complaining about the format of their discussions changing. Biggest difference was that posts became longer and more drawn out, less one-liners; also harder to follow a back and forth discussion on vbulletin than it is on the other format. After a few months, the hit count on TSL started dropping -- BIG TIME. So much so, that techsideline made a knee jerk reaction that really hurt them -- they split the board in two: a threaded one and a vbulletin based one. in hindsight, everyone agrees that move was horrible, but it made some sense at the time. they eventually dropped the vbulletin based board and went back to the unaesthetic, old-school threaded format.

TSL is owned by the same guys as Ramnation, theSabre and Netbuffs

CSU OT Hathaway, apparently has decided to end his career with football. Karma to the kid. Sucks to go out that way

That might be tough, I am looking for:

70 catches
900 yards
8 TDs

Agree. The targets are going to get spread around.

Spruce for 70-900 sounds good
Bobo-55 for 750
Fields-40 for 600
Goodson-35 for 500
A group around 10-15

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSU OT Hathaway, apparently has decided to end his career with football. Karma to the kid. Sucks to go out that way

This and I believe they have another tackle hurt as well. Add this to all the new guys and their O-line is going to be really thin. I think this might cancel our concerns at DE. Also looks like their running backs are participating in limited practice because of tender legs. So hopefully our DLine can really focus on the QB and our secondary can generate some picks.

Sefo is going to have tighter windows without Prich drawing double coverage. CSU is good a stopping the run. So I think this game will be determined on turn-overs. It all starts at Tupou.

Last edited:
Just caught the tail end of Dempsey and Frei on 104. They were discussing relaxing of recruiting standards at CU. Primarily, the allowance of taking "at risk" kids. Dempsey, basically, said it makes no difference while Frei disagreed. I got the feeling Dempsey likes Mac but doesn't think CU can return to an "elite" level. But I only caught the tail end and didn't hear the conversation leading up to all that.

Just caught the tail end of Dempsey and Frei on 104. They were discussing relaxing of recruiting standards at CU. Primarily, the allowance of taking "at risk" kids. Dempsey, basically, said it makes no difference while Frei disagreed. I got the feeling Dempsey likes Mac but doesn't think CU can return to an "elite" level. But I only caught the tail end and didn't hear the conversation leading up to all that.

Didn't catch any of it....but part of me thinks that the standards got too high ever since Barnett and that was the reason for our decline even more so than coaching. But then I read the article on how Bill Snyder built and then rebuilt his program and I have second doubts:

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/20...tball-coaches-programs-bob-stoops-bill-snyder

I also wonder about all the weird grey shirting that is going on.

Back