What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Prime is Polarizing

IIRC, Finebaum was all over Prime’s nuts when there was speculation about him being tied to Auburn and when CU wins 8+ this year, he’s going to be leading the charge of “Prime to the SEC”

Finebaum says stuff just to stir things up. He is a weekly guest with Greg McElroy and Cole Cubelic on their radio show and Monday morning he said someone asked him if he thinks Colorado will make the playoff and he said "I almost had to be taken to the ER because I was laughing so hard". Whatever.

A week earlier when he was on their show he said he expects Lincoln Riley to leave USC after this season. After the interview McElroy even said he doesn't know whether to take Paul seriously at times.

He keeps calling Prime "impatient" as the reason he won't succeed at CU, which I find to be a weird thing to say as if Prime is waiting for CU AD or admin to do something that allows him to win. There is nothing stopping him from building a team and staff to win at the highest level.
It’s also idiotic. Patience in today’s college football is nonexistent.

He keeps calling Prime "impatient" as the reason he won't succeed at CU, which I find to be a weird thing to say as if Prime is waiting for CU AD or admin to do something that allows him to win. There is nothing stopping him from building a team and staff to win at the highest level.
He also said a bunch of other bull junk that will be pinned up in the locker room. Love it!

I think "patient" in this context is just another way to say that instead of turning over the roster to immediately change culture & upgrade talent that he should have gone with a 3-5 year build via HS recruiting & player development. This pretty much ignores the seismic changes to transfer rules & NIL which completely changed the calculus for talent acquisition and retention.

I don't understand why so many people think Prime should follow a blueprint for how to build a program under different rules than the ones he's working under.

What was Finebaum doing in 1990?
He would have known that CU was a juggernaut
He is old
He remembers. He also remembers programs like Auburn complaining about CU's aggressive recruiting tactics. He is very aware that CU is one of the northern programs that can cause serious problems for the ones he covers when it is serious about competing for championships.

I was thinking about Prime's methodology and how he has always lived his life. How in organizations, especially hierarchically structured ones like a football program, the person at the top leads and sets culture. It's like he lifted the secret mission statement of many startups: "Work hard. Play hard. Make a lot of money." This staff and team work their asses off. They also pursue experiences, have a lot of laughs, and genuinely enjoy themselves. And they're all about maximizing their net worth. What Prime seemed to remove from his roster this offseason were the guys who didn't embrace that there's an order to this: you put in the work, which leads to wins & making plays, which leads to a broader world opening up to you & building your brand, which leads to making a whole lotta money. I couldn't imagine a better coach for this time and place. He's going to accomplish things that people didn't think could be done and be an absolute disruptor to the world of college athletics.

I think "patient" in this context is just another way to say that instead of turning over the roster to immediately change culture & upgrade talent that he should have gone with a 3-5 year build via HS recruiting & player development. This pretty much ignores the seismic changes to transfer rules & NIL which completely changed the calculus for talent acquisition and retention.

I don't understand why so many people think Prime should follow a blueprint for how to build a program under different rules than the ones he's working under.
You listed the reasons why it is a bad call to be patient. Schools and NIL funds need wins now. Get preps later when you show them the proof of concept of the culture change.

He remembers. He also remembers programs like Auburn complaining about CU's aggressive recruiting tactics. He is very aware that CU is one of the northern programs that can cause serious problems for the ones he covers when it is serious about competing for championships.
I'm struggling with the characterization of CU as a "Northern program"

If Prime broke the CFB world at Colorado, imagine him at USC.

View attachment 73984
USC has no extra pull or media power
LA is not the king of media or film
Most films are made in Atlanta, Montreal, or other places
Everything is de-centralized and honestly, I think he would do worse out there and be miserable
It is insulting and stupid for what they say about Colorado, and our own local media on 104.3 talked about it

They didn't vote for Bob Dole.

Googles.

They did vote for Bob Dole. I don't ****ing know.

Then you're dumb.
Put down the bottle, dip****.

GIF by Tomi Ferraro, Sportz

Back