What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rocky Mountain Showdown to be played on campus 6 times between 2029 and 2038 in a 2-on, 2-off format

Playing CSU is good for the budget I suppose, but does nothing for recruiting. I would’ve preferred a home and home in another state where CU recruits. CSU is typically an easy win fortunately, so there’s that.
Lots of games don’t help recruiting. Not every game has to help recruiting. When Alabama plays Eastern Tennessee, it does nothing for their recruiting. Every school will play a game or two that does nothing for recruiting. We happen to play a game that does nothing for recruiting but pays us a lot of money. Post-COVID, money games are going to be increasingly important.

Just don’t lose.

Lots of games don’t help recruiting. Not every game has to help recruiting. When Alabama plays Eastern Tennessee, it does nothing for their recruiting. Every school will play a game or two that does nothing for recruiting. We happen to play a game that does nothing for recruiting but pays us a lot of money. Post-COVID, money games are going to be increasingly important.

Just don’t lose.

I believe CU should be playing a game in Texas two out of every three years. Locking in CSU will make that very hard. I would rather see more SMU, North Texas, Houston, etc. on the schedule.

We had been doing great with Texas A&M, TCU, Houston, Georgia Tech all on the schedule coming up this decade with fewer CSU games. Now we’re in reverse the next decade.

I believe CU should be playing a game in Texas two out of every three years. Locking in CSU will make that very hard. I would rather see more SMU, North Texas, Houston, etc. on the schedule.
Playing a game IN TEXAS two out of every three years would be difficult, regardless. Playing a game against an opponent from Texas two out of every three years won’t be nearly that difficult. Plus, if they do expand the regular season (and I could totally see them doing so in order to make up for the lost 2020 revenue), this won’t be a big deal at all.

Just don’t lose.

I don't think this matchup will hurt recruiting, particularly if it is played on campus. It will be highly attended with a rabid student section, and it SHOULD be a guaranteed win. Lots-o-wins = Lots-o-bowl-games. I was never a fan of every year in Denver. But with a two year break in between a two year series, I'm good with it. I love beating the ewes.

Of course, if we ever get back to playing like a top tier team, then this series loses its value. But we're still trying (and trying, and trying) to get there.

Playing a game IN TEXAS two out of every three years would be difficult, regardless. Playing a game against an opponent from Texas two out of every three years won’t be nearly that difficult. Plus, if they do expand the regular season (and I could totally see them doing so in order to make up for the lost 2020 revenue), this won’t be a big deal at all.

Just don’t lose.

Yeah, in Texas that often may be too ambitious, but we need to get into recruiting hotbeds. CSU doesn’t do anything for CU.

What literally is the problem with this game? I can agree with not wanting it every year, but this is almost perfect scheduling for the CSU game.

One of the biggest pay day games CU will get outside of ****braska, will be a guaranteed home sellout, can almost guarantee that CU is requiring a big pay day when they travel to FoCo, essentially another game to go to, etc. Maybe me growing up in the state gives me a different view of this game, but I enjoy the game and enjoy the tears afterwards. Not every non-conference game is going to be against a P5 School and would literally be stupid to do so by the AD anyways. This is the most bang for your buck G5 game CU will get, so makes no sense to me to hate it.
I think a 3 on, 3 off with 2 in Boulder and 1 in Fort Collins is really the only other option I would prefer, but I just don't see the issue with this.

I think a 3 on, 3 off with 2 in Boulder and 1 in Fort Collins is really the only other option I would prefer, but I just don't see the issue with this.
I believe the economic realities that are being presented post-COVID are driving a lot of decisions like this. I’m ok with it, but also would have preferred the scenario you describe.

On the surface I can understand why people hate the game as CU screwed the pooch mightily when Bohn was the AD and that drives a lot of the hate. However, this is about as perfect of a G5-P5 game as you are going to find with revenue and winning as the two biggest factors.

For this program and the AD to take steps forward, they need more wins and more revenue. This gives you both.

I believe the economic realities that are being presented post-COVID are driving a lot of decisions like this. I’m ok with it, but also would have preferred the scenario you describe.
2 for 1's and 3 for 2's really don't exist anymore. Its either a home-away or one off.

On the surface I can understand why people hate the game as CU screwed the pooch mightily when Bohn was the AD and that drives a lot of the hate. However, this is about as perfect of a G5-P5 game as you are going to find with revenue and winning as the two biggest factors.

For this program and the AD to take steps forward, they need more wins and more revenue. This gives you both.
The two things people complained about the most were the game being played every year, and it being held at a neutral site. Since neither are the case anymore, I'm waiting for the "fire RG" crowd to chime in here and tell me why this sucks.

The old argument about how this game does nothing for CU will still be made, but I don’t think that holds up much at this point. Every program will play a game or two every year that does nothing for them. We play UNC this fall. I don’t see anybody bitching about that, and playing UNC does a lot less for us than playing CSU would (I acknowledge that we also play Minnesota and ATM, which are considerably higher profile games). Simple economics is what is driving this, and we can still schedule the likes of Houston, SMU, Tulane, TCU, whatever.

High paying body bag games are hard to find. That’s the essence of what this is.

The two things people complained about the most were the game being played every year, and it being held at a neutral site. Since neither are the case anymore, I'm waiting for the "fire RG" crowd to chime in here and tell me why this sucks.
The same people who complained about the A&M game being in Denver not realizing if that didn't happen the game itself wouldn't take place.

This will be an important game after CSU is invited into the Big 12. Probably rival U$C v. Notre Dame. Suuuuper smart move.

Stupid.

The game is not bad for CU but we can and should do better.

CSU has to have this game. It is the only thing that gives their program any credibility with casual fans (who don't give a fly crap about them playing Utah State and San Jose) and that keeps their alums and core fans interested. It is also a critical payday for them even if we take a bigger share of the revenue.

So,, If you are going to play this game it is under the following conditions. 1) It is done as a two for one, CSU travels twice to Boulder for every game we play there. 2) We get a bigger share of the money, significantly bigger, 3) We get flexibility in terms of moving games in the event that a better opportunity pops up for us.

All this said I don't know that by 2038 CSU is going to even be a Division 1 BCS equivalent level program. CU may not be either but with the legal/financial changes coming in the next few years I don't see any way that CSU manages to continue to pretend like they are on a competitive level with the top programs.

So,, If you are going to play this game it is under the following conditions. 1) It is done as a two for one, CSU travels twice to Boulder for every game we play there. 2) We get a bigger share of the money, significantly bigger, 3) We get flexibility in terms of moving games in the event that a better opportunity pops up for us and 4) go get your shine box.

All this said I don't know that by 2038 CSU is going to even be a Division 1 BCS equivalent level program. CU may not be either but with the legal/financial changes coming in the next few years I don't see any way that CSU manages to continue to pretend like they are on a competitive level with the top programs.
fify.shine box.png

What ever. We can bitch if we are consistently in contention for the South and have a national reputation again. Until then, the game is not that bad when played on the campus of the home school. We should win this game every year so it helps the bowl eligibiltiy.

Should just schedule three G5 games a year.
Over the next 8 seasons, there is only one where our OOC schedule doesn't have 2 P5 opponents (2024- CSU, NDSU and Nebraska).

2029 OOC so far - Florida and CSU, so likely another P5 opponent
2030 OOC so far - Missouri and CSU, so likely another P5 opponent
2031 OOC so far - Missouri

I think you're being just a tad dramatic

Over the next 8 seasons, there is only one where our OOC schedule doesn't have 2 P5 opponents (2024- CSU, NDSU and ****braska).

I guess the thing that gets me is that we don't have a full OOC schedule nailed down for 2035. RG is so far behind....

Over the next 8 seasons, there is only one where our OOC schedule doesn't have 2 P5 opponents (2024- CSU, NDSU and ****braska).

Guess we'll see how it all shakes out, but not sure why anyone would be excited by today's announcement.

Back