What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sir Larry Scott.. (P12 considering buying out Larry Scott)

I think @Creebuzz earlier reference to "Uncle Phil" was to UO's Uncle Phil, not CU's Uncle Phil.

UO's Uncle Phil gets **** done, and given that this story is out of an Oregon newspaper - it wouldn't shock me if Uncle Phil is agitating for some change.

Wouldn't surprise me if this was a collaborative effort by some ADs, either. They floated the story around P12 writers who weren't afraid to ruffle some feathers or burn bridges and the Oregon guy is the first who bit.

that article is brutal. i thank scott for getting us into the conference, but the rev/expense analysis is eye-popping. and, there is really little doubt at this point looking back at tv deals, that the p12 ****ed up their tv negotiations. owning all the rights is an outlier strategy for sure. disney is about to pull everything from netflix and launch their own subscription service so maybe scott will be proven right about control but right now things aren't looking that great.

You may have missed it but Amazon put a bid in to buy Fox Sports Regional Networks. What exactly that ends up meaning is not clear other than the way you used to watch TV (and networks bought programming) is not going back to the way it was.

If you are okay with having no Champions Center and CU being behind in the arms race.

It hasn't helped fan support. Tell me about the arms race when there are 39,538 butts in the seats for a football game. Props to RG. But at the end of the day CU continues to spin its wheels....

It hasn't helped fan support. Tell me about the arms race when there are 39,538 butts in the seats for a football game. Props to RG. But at the end of the day CU continues to spin its wheels....
Don't you mean butt race?

We have far, far, far more fan support on road trips in the Pac 12 than we ever did in the big 12 or big 8.

The flip side of that is that we don't have other team's fans in Folsom the same way we did when Boulder was far and away the nicest conference city to visit for a weekend.

I would rather have 40,000 CU fans and 2,000 UO fans in seats than 40,000 CU fans and 10,000 OU fans.

But, at the end of the day, it's so monumentally stupid to think that we would be "better off" in the big 12 that I can't believe any CU fan with higher than a room temperature IQ would even promote it.

Besides, having games in LA, SF and Seattle is much more likely to connect us to our "middle class" alumni than having games in Lubbock, Stillwater, and Ames ever did.

We have far, far, far more fan support on road trips in the Pac 12 than we ever did in the big 12 or big 8.

The flip side of that is that we don't have other team's fans in Folsom the same way we did when Boulder was far and away the nicest conference city to visit for a weekend.

I would rather have 40,000 CU fans and 2,000 UO fans in seats than 40,000 CU fans and 10,000 OU fans.

But, at the end of the day, it's so monumentally stupid to think that we would be "better off" in the big 12 that I can't believe any CU fan with higher than a room temperature IQ would even promote it.

Besides, having games in LA, SF and Seattle is much more likely to connect us to our "middle class" alumni than having games in Lubbock, Stillwater, and Ames ever did.

I just like to watch good football games and I don't get to see that many when I'm watching PAC12, regardless of whether it's a CU game or not. I don't go to road games so I'm not too concerned with whether a CU game is in Seattle or Ames.

Further explanation: if we were in B12 I'd be tempted to watch UT/OU. If we were in B1G West I'd watch Wisconsin vs Iowa or NW. We are in PAC12 and I have no interest in USC vs UCLA and only a little in Stanford/Washington.

Goes way back. I've been a CU fan since 1967 so everything's OK. I don't have to like the PAC12 to like the Buffs. Don't see why that's a prerequisite or what it's done for us in the overall scheme of things.

. I don't go to road games so I'm not too concerned with whether a CU game is in Seattle or Ames.
Bad fan IMO.

More seriously though, and please try and follow this line of thought because it's really, really complicated:

Most donations to a university come from its alumni.

The biggest way many alumni stay connected to the university is through its football program.

CU has more alumni in Seattle than the entire states of Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma combined.

The same thing is true of San Francisco and Phoenix.

In Los Angeles alone, there are more alumni in the metro area than there are the entire big 12 footprint minus Colorado.

Now, can you maybe understand one of the reasons RG has had a lot of success raising money for little things like the champions center, and probably more success than he would have had if we played in the ****ty old big12?

Further explanation: if we were in B12 I'd be tempted to watch UT/OU. If we were in B1G West I'd watch Wisconsin vs Iowa or NW. We are in PAC12 and I have no interest in USC vs UCLA and only a little in Stanford/Washington.

Goes way back. I've been a CU fan since 1967 so everything's OK. I don't have to like the PAC12 to like the Buffs. Don't see why that's a prerequisite or what it's done for us in the overall scheme of things.

I still think the move to the Pac 12 was the right call for a variety of reasons that are not entirely football related. However, I will acknowledge that the move is not the slam dunk I thought it would be. The kickoff times do often suck on the east coast, the money isn’t as good as we expected, and the league is down overall. CU also doesn’t have a rival.

Bad fan IMO.

More seriously though, and please try and follow this line of thought because it's really, really complicated:

Most donations to a university come from its alumni.

The biggest way many alumni stay connected to the university is through its football program.

CU has more alumni in Seattle than the entire states of Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma combined.

The same thing is true of San Francisco and Phoenix.

In Los Angeles alone, there are more alumni in the metro area than there are the entire big 12 footprint minus Colorado.

Now, can you maybe understand one of the reasons RG has had a lot of success raising money for little things like the champions center, and probably more success than he would have had if we played in the ****ty old big12?

Great on the money. At the end of the day there were fewer than 40,000 tickets sold for the Utah game (to get bowl eligible) and fewer than 17,000 showed up. I get that it was cold.
Enjoy your donations. Local support is tepid.

You could draw a 60 mile radius around Boulder and give 2 free tickets, free transportation, and $30 free food money per person outside of that circle and you'd MAYBE have 5% of the recipients show up for a home game. This has been true for a long long time. It's not a problem that donation money can solve. There's a reason that CU has never had the need to expand the stadium beyond 53,000.

You could draw a 60 mile radius around Boulder and give 2 free tickets, free transportation, and $30 free food money per person outside of that circle and you'd MAYBE have 5% of the recipients show up for a home game. This has been true for a long long time. It's not a problem that donation money can solve. There's a reason that CU has never had the need to expand the stadium beyond 53,000.

Never go full seattlebuff.

Stop with the hyperbole and excuse making like people in Colorado don’t care about football. No, we don’t have unconditional support like a lot of BIG and SEC country, but CU has sold out or come damn close in multiple games over the last 3 seasons. When the team is winning and there are some noteworthy opponents in town, CU doesn’t have a problem selling tickets. String together a couple 8 or 9 win seasons (shouldn’t be all that tough, tbh) and fans will come.

I come from a Sooner family and I hardly watch OU these days. You got to give the P12 more time. I like watching WSU and both AZ schools. Maybe some Cal and Utah games. In the Big 12, it'd be OU, OSU, and TT so there isn't any difference between the two conferences.

I just hate the late kickoff times and the P12N but that's pretty much it.

Great on the money. At the end of the day there were fewer than 40,000 tickets sold for the Utah game (to get bowl eligible) and fewer than 17,000 showed up. I get that it was cold.
Enjoy your donations. Local support is tepid.

Safe to say that you weren't at the Utah game either then...

Bad fan who has no business weighing in on this thread.

How many people live on the west side of your circle?

Post is dumb. Sorry for being a jerk face.

Is it time to get OU and Texass on board yet ??
I know most HATE this but jeeze ...this conference has gone stale

With or without the Longhorn Network? I think they have a decade more of multi million dollars payments to ESPN coming their way.

Back