What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad has to go

I think I'm finally starting to warm to the idea. He's been here what? 10 years.

This was a MacIntyresque collapse down the stretch of what had been looking like our best season in years. Very similar.
The basketball collapse is far worse because it was clear that the talent on this team was good enough and somehow, someway they all ended up regressing in one way or another. So many of these players ended up with massive cases of the yips. How does that happen to an entire team? I mean Schearz couldn't hit the rim on a couple of 2 foot shots. Instead he tried to break the backboard

You all now have a valid argument. I do not want Tad to go, and we don't have the b-ball resources to do any better, but a 5 game losing streak to end the season, with the talent he has on this roster... seat has be getting warm now unfortunately.

I guess we will find out how much RG values MBB. If it’s the old wait until next year with no heat on Boyle and no further investment in thte program then we will know not to expect anything more than what we’ve gotten last few years.
Boyoe won 21 games and had the 3d best attendance by percentage in the p12. He's paid 3xdworst in conference and had the worst recruiting budget in conference. RG won't invest and no he won't fire Tad

I've watched every game like most, there were several games leading up to the slide that began the tell tail signs. The home loss to OSU, the road loss to Oregon and close games at home that shouldn't have been. Little things like players out of position to rebound, no one following their shot other than Wright, too much room at the arc and so on. I will also add this, I've noticed an increase in what was already dreadful that being officiating, somehow it got worse as the season progressed. I really missed the boat on Kountz at the end of last season thinking he would continue to mature and fill a role. IMO I don't believe Bey should jump after this season, he has a nice game but not one that will stand up for 82 games physically yes mentally no.

While I'm thinking before I move on. As much as I hate to write it Dallas may need to consider a med retire I feel badly for him every time he gets in a game. Seiwert has slow feet which is a death knell when it comes to defense. Tad needs to re-evaluate his coaching MO, anything to throw off the opposition, he can't be so set in stone and have some flexibility cause what he's doing now isn't working with the players he's recruiting.
Now I can be done.

I don't want Tad to go, but he has two areas that drastically need to improve. Recruiting and getting his players to understand their job and execute during critical points of the game.

What doesn't get discussed much, are Tad's assistants. The standard in FB, when things go south, is fire some assistants. Most seem to agree this was a total loss of confidence by many players. Tad isn't the only one getting paid to help these kids mature and respond to life's pressures.

I don't want Tad to go, but he has two areas that drastically need to improve. Recruiting and getting his players to understand their job and execute during critical points of the game.
Those two areas are 99% of the coaches job

Those two areas are 99% of the coaches job
Yeah, pretty much. Tad is very good at coaching the fundamentals, particularly on the defensive end, and creating and coaching his scheme. It's when his plan breaks down and he needs to make adjustments that he and the team appear absolutely lost. They're unable to stop the bleeding and he's not recruiting enough guys that can just take over in those situations.

I am too ... let's also remember that the two best players from the last 6-7 years fell into his lap. We have Kin only because Archie Miller got hired at Indiana, otherwise he's at Dayton. And Derek White was right under Tad's nose and Tad (more accurately his coaches) didn't notice until he only had one year left. If you look at White's tape from soph and junior years, you could see the player that he was gonna be. A dynamic creator and finisher... something Tad simply does not look for. Period.
My position on Tad is starting to waver and it's a combination of him not being able to coach a very good team out of this slide and the points you make re: recruiting. I also add Barthelemy to the list of studs that fell into his lap. Unfortunately, the majority of recruiting of late is Big Sky level. Kountz, Daniels, Dombek (just watch) and yes, even Walton before knee surgery number 3, were all big misses. Parquet is, was, and always will be a role player so he was recruited to be what he is. And this year's class is no better - low level D1 support players who will contribute, but in no way are going to help you take that next step. Lately I've been thinking what if both Kin and Bey had really stellar seasons and decided to leave? Would 2020-2021 be more reload or regress. You tell me with this core group (probable starters in bold):
Battey
Schwartz
Parquet
Kountz
Barthelemy

Daniels
Dombek
Walton
Strating

That's a 15 win team at best. There are probably multiple factors behind what has happened, but the fact is we have TWO players that have have carried this team this year with a various third that only shows up periodically. The rest of this roster is just not very good. That's recruiting. That's on Tad.

I am too ... let's also remember that the two best players from the last 6-7 years fell into his lap. We have Kin only because Archie Miller got hired at Indiana, otherwise he's at Dayton. And Derek White was right under Tad's nose and Tad (more accurately his coaches) didn't notice until he only had one year left. If you look at White's tape from soph and junior years, you could see the player that he was gonna be. A dynamic creator and finisher... something Tad simply does not look for. Period.
Dinwiddie, Scott, and Bey are in that conversation too. It's not as though White and Kin are head and shoulders above everyone else.

I posted the tweet of Boyle's buyout $. We ain't firing him anytime soon...not after we spent a similar amount to can Mike MacIntyre.

Dinwiddie, Scott, and Bey are in that conversation too. It's not as though White and Kin are head and shoulders above everyone else.
I’m talking since the Dinwiddie/Scott era. And I’m talking about guys who can take over a game. Kin and White are the only two we’ve had in that span and both were anomalies that we even had them.
Tad looks for “system” guys, not ballers. Ellerby is a baller. Tad can’t find those guys.

My position on Tad is starting to waver and it's a combination of him not being able to coach a very good team out of this slide and the points you make re: recruiting. I also add Barthelemy to the list of studs that fell into his lap. Unfortunately, the majority of recruiting of late is Big Sky level. Kountz, Daniels, Dombek (just watch) and yes, even Walton before knee surgery number 3, were all big misses. Parquet is, was, and always will be a role player so he was recruited to be what he is. And this year's class is no better - low level D1 support players who will contribute, but in no way are going to help you take that next step. Lately I've been thinking what if both Kin and Bey had really stellar seasons and decided to leave? Would 2020-2021 be more reload or regress. You tell me with this core group (probable starters in bold):
Battey
Schwartz
Parquet
Kountz
Barthelemy

Daniels
Dombek
Walton
Strating

That's a 15 win team at best. There are probably multiple factors behind what has happened, but the fact is we have TWO players that have have carried this team this year with a various third that only shows up periodically. The rest of this roster is just not very good. That's recruiting. That's on Tad.
100% agree. All this talk about this team having talent is crap. Kin and Bey have clear basketball talent. After that, you love Battey’s hustle and heart and instincts but I wouldn’t call him especially talented. Seiwert, Gatling and Schwartz can (or used to be able to) hit some threes but none of them would make anyone say “he’s talented.”

That’s it. The rest of the roster is just filling a jersey.

Tad's supervisor, Mr. George, should be sitting down with his key employee and asking for SPECIFIC, TANGIBLE changes and plans to improve the basketball team and correct and avoid the absolute mess this season became.
If that doesn't happen then I will seriously question the leadership of Mr. George and the professionalism of Coach Boyle.

What has frustrated me about Tad over the years is his refusal or inability to make significant changes.

Despite the talents of the players on each years teams he insist on forcing them into "his" system. When he has a team on the floor or an opponent that call for a zone he still stays primarily man. When some semi-anonymous guy is lighting us up from outside on his way to a career night he won't alter his defense to shut it down.

On offense we have consistently struggled to be effective inbounding the ball when opponents apply heavy pressure. We continue to have extended scoring droughts that allow opponents to turn games against us.

I'd love to see Tad bring in an assistant who is one of those long-time guys who can help him look at what he is doing and make some changes in what he does.

It's good to have the young energetic guys who can burn up a recruiting trail but sometimes you need somebody who can "coach the coach."

100% agree. All this talk about this team having talent is crap. Kin and Bey have clear basketball talent. After that, you love Battey’s hustle and heart and instincts but I wouldn’t call him especially talented. Seiwert, Gatling and Schwartz can (or used to be able to) hit some threes but none of them would make anyone say “he’s talented.”

That’s it. The rest of the roster is just filling a jersey.
Schwartz was a top 100 recruit.

I agree that the overall talent could be better, you're just overstating your case with things that aren't objectively true.

I agree that the overall talent could be better, you're just overstating your case with things that aren't objectively true.
Which means Schwartz was over rated by the services. We all drooled over the last 7 footer that came out of Denver based on what? his being 7', what was his name?. I remember watching Bennie Boatwright vids, every time we played SC I thought he was good player but nothing spectacular.

Schwartz shows flashes of that potential, but the dude is a junior. We know what kind of player he is by now. Can he get to the basket and finish? Does he create for other people? Can he take his man into the low post and beat him? What is his talent? There was a time when he was a 3-pt threat (when left open), but that clearly is not the case right now.

What is objectively false about saying that these players do NOT have Pac12 level talent? (Or hell, even P5 level talent). We've seen them all play significant minutes.

Parquet
Kountz
Daniels
Walton
Strating

Schwartz shows flashes of that potential, but the dude is a junior. We know what kind of player he is by now. Can he get to the basket and finish? Does he create for other people? Can he take his man into the low post and beat him? What is his talent? There was a time when he was a 3-pt threat (when left open), but that clearly is not the case right now.

What is objectively false about saying that these players do NOT have Pac12 level talent? (Or hell, even P5 level talent). We've seen them all play significant minutes.

Parquet
Kountz
Daniels
Walton
Strating
I see the hyperbole is in full effect during a rough patch.

I'm hoping Bey and MW are disgusted with their year's work and decide to come back and get it right next year

Parquet
Kountz
Daniels
Walton
Strating

I was probably the most negative person on Walton's recruitment, but you can't get furious at that one. A 7 footer with decent touch and moves who is WILDLY underrated compared to skill level due to knee injuries. That's a no brainer take - especially when you have the medical retirement card to play.

Parquet was recruited to be a 3 & D glue guy and nothing more. He's filled that role and every team has to have one or two of those. Unfortunately, we have too many, but I'm not upset at the Parquet recruitment.

The others? Yeah, no arguments. And I've been critical of Tad's recruiting. There's no excusing it. The question is are we taking this many Colorado kids because Tad wants to or are we taking them because we can't afford to recruit outside of this Godforsaken state that has no basketball talent?

Battey
Schwartz
Parquet
Kountz
Barthelemy

Daniels
Dombek
Walton
Strating

This^^^ In a perfect world Bey & Kin stay & fingers crossed Barthelemy brings an offset skill set to Wright...if they go you've got almost no bench points other than the unknown incoming. If Bey goes...Battey will be in constant foul trouble and it could ruin him mentally over the course of the season.
This season every time you saw Daniels get up off the bench Tad was throwing in towel, no one else can make a 3 so...here you go kid light it up cause you're only in to shoot 3s or buy us a few minutes of rest..I'll overlook your defense for the points.

Here's my thing with this-If we're parting ways with Tad and replacing him with Jeff Linder or Travis DeCuire (two Big Sky coaches who had similar resumes to the one Tad had when he got here), pass. If RG were to reach out to a guy like John Beilein (if he's interested in coming back to CBB and in this job in particular), we're stupid not to look into that.

Here's my thing with this-If we're parting ways with Tad and replacing him with Jeff Linder or Travis DeCuire (two Big Sky coaches who had similar resumes to the one Tad had when he got here), pass. If RG were to reach out to a guy like John Beilein (if he's interested in coming back to CBB and in this job in particular), we're stupid not to look into that.

Because RG has a long track record of opening the wallet for hoops combined with all the extra cash that CUAD has right now...

And rose-colored glasses for some ...
I think he said early in the year that how this season went, might effect his plans. If the $ is there, he is gone. My sense is he needs another year. He flopped when the scouts were at a recent CU game (ucla?)

Tourney cancelled a day late;

Because RG has a long track record of opening the wallet for hoops combined with all the extra cash that CUAD has right now...

I think its more change for the sake of change isn't the answer. If there's an upgrade out there for us, that's another conversation.

Back